Thread: Anyone use kempo gloves?

Anyone use kempo gloves?

Hi all,

I'm a Sports Massage Therapist and just getting back into my martial arts training. I knocked a finger in the last session and decided I really can't take any more risks - I need to save my hands and wrists. I've been looking around at different gloves that would give me good wrist support with hand and finger protection, but also allows me hold and do more technical moves. Had a look at these kempo gloves and wondered if anyone had tried anything similar as they seem to look like they'd give the protection I'm after (plus I can pretend I'm Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon )?

http://www.bytomic.com/detail.asp?urn=1618

What do you think?
    --- time is never wasted when your wasted all the time ---

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I tried them out as 'the' glove in my school about 3.5 years ago.

I purchased them from Title Boxing.

We tore them apart, literally, within 3 training sessions.

Maybe other suppliers are better than Title's but thier's compared well with every other kenpo style glove I'd ever seen; visually at least.

They were just ok for gripping but not the best and really aren't that great for shock absorption at all.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

too much single stitching and too many small pieces put together on kempo gloves. they will fall apart fast with regular use unless the are double or triple stitched and only made with 2 pieces of leather.

I would go with a good quality san shou glove like mk posted or even just a better quality mma glove.

as an aside, if you really want to protect your hands because they are your livelyhood, then the best advice is to stop hitting things with them.

sorry man, but hitting stuff regularly with your hands is bad for refine feeling in the hands and effects masseotherapists as much as guitarists.

not so regularly striking on inanimates or in mock combat is ok, but risky if you want to keep your hands pristine.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Those gloves look good Mk.

David, I take your point about hitting things regularly. I'll only be doing martial art training once per week and other fitness stuff the rest of the time. The style I'm getting into is pretty mixed so there wont be constant repetitive punching. I can punch pretty safely I'm more worried about my fingers getting knock when practising drills and stuff. I've already got a good pair of MMA gloves but they dont offer any finger protection. I might get a light pair of boxing gloves or just use bag gloves or something.

Shame the kempo gloves don't last well - they just 'looked' like they might help with what I'm after.
    --- time is never wasted when your wasted all the time ---

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have two pairs and they lasted many years. They really shouldn't fall apart after a few sessions, unless you are doing more than sparring with them. After all, they are NOT bag gloves. If you are hitting focus mitts, heavybags, etc with them of course they will rip. But if you are only hitting each other-how many times are they landing, and on what, that they would tear?
    The MMA gloves won't protect your fingers. I play guitar, and another of my students is a professional guitarist/session man. Never had a problem. We bought the ones from AWMA. Also check out immortal.

Greetings..

I'm writing from work, so i can't remember who made my Kempos, but they work reasonably well (one they're broken in).. they do not provide much impact protection for the opponent, though.. many people complain that they would rather get hit by a bare hand than the Kempos.. having been on the receiving end of a heavy strike to the head with Kempo gloves, i understand the sentiment.. they transfer the power and impact over a greater area and with a high concussive effect (they hurt!!).. They offer fair grappling ability, except.. if you are trying to grab a hand that has Kempo gloves on it, it doesn't work.. the Kempos protect the hand from being efficiently grabbed..

I have several pair of Century MMA gloves that work really well, i can execute Chin Na and it can be executed on me without too much compromise of the technique.. the impact protection is at least as good as the Kempos if not better..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I have two pairs and they lasted many years. They really shouldn't fall apart after a few sessions, unless you are doing more than sparring with them. After all, they are NOT bag gloves. If you are hitting focus mitts, heavybags, etc with them of course they will rip. But if you are only hitting each other-how many times are they landing, and on what, that they would tear?
    The MMA gloves won't protect your fingers. I play guitar, and another of my students is a professional guitarist/session man. Never had a problem. We bought the ones from AWMA. Also check out immortal.

we were simply sparring...for us that's stand up, clinch and ground.

I don't know about any other brand but i'd have to day that the Title brand sucks.

Also, ftr, the Century C-gear feet suck now. They used to be awesome, I still have a pair I've had for about 10 years that only have minor tears in the uppers and completely solid soles. But, every pair my students have bought at my recommendation have ripped the soles out within a few sessions. The leather on the feet is now more suede like where the leather on my old ones is more like plain leather.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I'd have to say Century is hit or miss anymore. I recently bought a pair of 12 oz. Boxing Gloves from Century that are very nice. I spar and do bag work with these and so far they are comfortable and durable, although I have only had them about 3 months. But I have a friend who bought the feet gear that Oso was talking about and it sucked! Guess it depends on what you buy.

Foot boots suck-diddli-uck, anyway.

We use these: http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22561

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Foot boots suck-diddli-uck, anyway.

We use these: http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22561
    yea, but your average light contact tournament sparring usually requires them so beginners need to know how to work with them. and, they can keep toe injuries down in your school.