Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: LauGar KungFu Origins - any evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by laustick View Post
    29 years ago the syllabus listed for 3rd black soar hou kwun and the dual
    stick form.
    Also there was an article in fighters magazine which was well over 30 years
    ago which listed the weapons of lau gar which included the eyebrow hight
    staff, and the 7 and half foot staff, kwan do, spear, butterfly knives, board
    sword, ratten shield, tiger fork being the main weapon of the style,
    but also saying the style is from the five families which i don't know.
    but in all the history they claim linage to three eyed lau who if i'am
    right is said to be the founder of the lau gar five families
    So if all the stick work was for 3rd degree, and the sword form was for 2nd (assuming it's the same) where does the Butterfly knives form fit in. we do that.

Was that article about the mainland chinese style, or the style we do over here? Don't suppose you still have the article do you?
    Last edited by DaveTart; 11-14-2006 at 03:22 AM.

I don't practice Lau Gar but was looking into practicing it recently with a non-BKFA club so I did some online research.

The only online stuff relating to mainland China Lau Gar Kuen (Liujiaquan) was a Xiao Yong Ding of Zongshan, Guangdong province. This was an online version of a newspaper report.

There are also some English translation webpages which are excerpts of this article.

4th Butterfly knives+another sword
    5th Tiger fork+ bat ging gung
    6th Spear+ kwan dov shield and 1 butterfly knife+ other stuff
    7th

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylun View Post
    4th Butterfly knives+another sword
    5th Tiger fork+ bat ging gung
    6th Spear+ kwan dov shield and 1 butterfly knife+ other stuff
    7th

Cheers for that. Seems odd our club does the butterfly knives form but not the staff stuff if the buttefly knives are supposed to be for a higher grade...

can I ask what on earth "bat ging gung" is??!

Bat ging gung is our internal form bat =8 ging=power(s) gung=work

Cheers for all that.

So I'm guessing that is all from the the 1984 revision of the syllabus (since it is split into 6 degrees)? Any idea if it was all in the original syllabus at all? Someone mentioned they had a 1978 one...

Can I ask where you train BTW?

only the second sword and duel stick were added as far as i know

there are other sets that arnt in the syllabus but have been there all the time such as "5 animals" "kwan dao" and empty handvbutterfly knives.

other sets which arnt in the syllabus or the style but they are good to study and learn such as the "tiger and crane" from the Hung family style

So does anyone know how it was all arranged in the pre-1984 syllabus at all? (in fact, can anyone back up that date of 1984 as the "reform date")

And I've seen the "5 animals" form down in the BKFA club in exeter, all very cool.

I've managed to get in contact with an American Guy who practises a Mainland style of LauGar. Be interesting to see what differences and similarities there are...

Had a reply from that guy, seems he does "Tao Shen Fon" LauGar or "Way of the Eternal Phoenix". Apparently it's rare even in mainland china. I've asked a few questions, but no reply so far...

BTW has anyone heard of Vincent Lewis? Apparently he teaches up in birmingham and does yet another version of the Lau Gar syllabus (the punch blocks are slightly different, and some of the forms are in a different order). I've tried googling but can't find anything...

Now all I need is a translation, and we are sorted!

I tried sticking it through "BabelFish" for a laugh, and got the following:

"South the fist is high important person Cai nine □□, □however many kinds of are many □, but it □basic request is common. In the technique, the upper limb □does □many, □the strength is prominent; In the body law, deals with the turnover, depends on the awning □□; In the step, four is even eight, Bryophyllum Pinnatum."

All makes sense now.

Kay Boon sau far

Did someone ask for pics of this? I can't be bothered reading through all the posts to find this out. If so I have found some scetches I did a few years ago which although not perfect give you an idea of the form.

Vincent Lewis

Hey,

I learn under Vince Lewis in Birmingham. He teaches Lau Gar, but the syllabus is slightly different to that of the BKFA's.

The class in at Newtown Communiy Centre. If you are interested in finding out more let me know.

Oh yes, there are all sorts of things I'd like to know. Cheers for speaking up!

I'd be really interested to know what differences exist in his syllabus compared to the BKFA, and why they are there...