Thread: JP's post-baby training blog

JP's post-baby training blog

While my wife was pregnant i gained 20 lbs. Time for all that to come off.

Current weight is 218. I'm going back to work out with my teacher for the first time in approx. a month. My goal is to get down to 185 in a year's time. This is going to hurt.

They (that is everyone who has volunteered an opinion) say that new fathers never get time to train. This blog is to track my (inconsistent?) training with a newborn in the..... wait..... be right back.....

Ok back from diaper duty. This will be interesting.... Off to meet my teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Good luck! My wife is pregnant right now and I'm trying to avoid weight gain. My diet hasn't been perfect but I have still been training pretty hard(Sometimes it's hard to stick to rice and chicken breast when my wife is eating pizza and ice cream.) I have to be honest though, it is hard. I'm juggling not only her pregnacy and work but also teaching classes and school (Poltical Science/Criminal Justice/ minor pre-law). If you have any advice it would be much appreciated. Congratulations and best wishes, I hope all goes well for you.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

I wish I could give you good advice, but the truth is it is hard. Since my first post I've been to one official class and one sparring class. I've had one decent work out at home (although I've ran through my forms to keep them in my mind one Sunday) and I've stretched most nights in front of the T.V. with my wife.

When my wife was pregnant she acquired hyperemisis (constant and continious morning sickness and vomiting) so I slowed down my training to help take care of her and the house-hold stuff. a couple of weeks before the baby I stopped training altogether because my mind was a whirling mess. Now I'm training when I can, but the sleep thing is also an issue.

Good luck in school. I'm a lawyer myself so I understand your time constraints as well.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Sorry to here about your wife. It definitely sounds like it was a rough time.But, it seems like things must be going a little bit better for you. Juggling school, work, training and a new baby is going to rough. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I cut down to part time after I got married and I'm looking at about 6-7 more years of school before I get my law degree. My advisor told me the other day I have to bring my grade point average up if I want to get into law school (I currently have a 3.1 gpa). If I don't make it into law school and graduate I don't know how I'll ever pay off my student loans. Training and my wife are the only things in my life that help me keep my sanity.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

JP - How's it going so far? While I'm not a proud parent at this point, I was a big slacker over the last semester and put on some weight that I'm gonna try to lose. Anyway, I was just wondering if you worked out in the morning at all. The reason I ask is that when I work out first thing in the morning, it really sets the stage for the rest of the day. You can either a) relax because you know that you at least did SOMETHING that day, or b) you work extra hard at being healthy for the day since you don't want to screw up the morning's workout.

The only other thing I was thinking is that if you could find a way to tie your workouts into taking care of the baby, that would help out. I don't know, like rocking her in a horse stance instead of just standing, or doing like one leg squats from side to side to rock her when she's crying...maybe you could make a point of doing as many pushups as you can after each and every diaper change...I don't, something.

Hope all is well, man.

Current weight 200. Not bad for the time I've put in. My goal is 185 (that would put me at about 12% body fat which is good for me).

I'm getting a consistent two days a week of work in now. 2.5 hours on Thursday and 3 hours on Saturday. Then I'm doing some bag work, stretching and running through forms at home as I have time (which isn't much). I have one of those Yoda packs for my baby so I can do some stance work and even tai chi forms once her neck gets stronger. It's coming along slowly.