Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Punch's Brand Spanking New Blog

30 degs and humid all day yesterday. Really hard getting any motivation for exercise but waited till sundown and went running.

Sprints:

200m in 26 secs (100 - 13),
    rest 20 secs
    100m in 16 secs
    rest 30 secs
    100m 18 secs
    rest 50 secs

then just pain...

kept running 100m bursts, and most of the time I could focus on the stopwatch I was doing 18 secs each time, with rest periods varying but around 30 secs of jogging, walking or stumbling mostly.

Altogether ran 2 km, 'sprinted' the last 400 m with whatever I had left.

Conclusion: "room for improvement"! Need to do more more often. TBH would have carried on last night but the track was closing.

Then went swimming for just ten lengths breast stroke - wanted to work on my crawl but was already spent, so after the breaststroke just kicked off to practice breathing and did a couple of lengths just kicking.

Followed by walking lengths in the pool:

1 x shiko
    1 x manji stepping
    1 x wing chun sidekicking
    1 x thai roundhouse
    1 x wing chun knees
    1 x wing chun front kicks

Cycled home.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

21st

tabata push-ups - 116

overhead presses, forget what weights and how many.

10 manji steps
    20 shiko

22nd

52 pushups in one minute

bicep curls (16.7 kgs) 3 x 5

Completely random selections of exercise...

No sleep due to baby, and no time due to work and baby.

Starting programme as of today or tomorrow when I've worked one out.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Very atypical training session yesterday... and very interesting.

My friend is a member of an actors' action team, and has appeared in a couple of movies over here. He's san/yon dan taekwondo, and does capoeira and on top of that I've been teaching him wing chun. He's doing a seminar on kicking techniques for the movies in one of Japan's performing arts institutes and I've got roped into doing the hand technique session...!

So yesterday we went over the basics of what he's going to teach, so I'm not a complete fish out of water in his section (an hour and a half of taekwondo kicking with added flash for movie style!)... next week I'll take him through my half.

I did karate for a couple of years about 12 years ago or more, and of course went through and used basic Thia teeps and roundhouses in my MMA classes, but it'd still been quite a while since I'd had such a high-kicking workout, and maybe the first time for spinning hook kicks etc.

It was fun, but very taxing.

Couple of things were interesting:

Taekwondo kicks all go through centreline.

The side kick is almost identical to a wing chun side kick found in a couple of lines.

Generally, I found the power generation to be not as difficult as I imagined, and also the flexibililty (since I'm quite inflexible: used to be very very flexible until my lower back injury)

I would think the ones we learned would be very useful in some situations in full contact if you don't fall into the trap of dropping your hands when you kick that many taekwondo people seem to. Also, I was a bit bemused by the bad rep of taekwondo... I mean, I've seen some bad stuff, and my friend is pretty serious (having been a one-time Olympic hopeful, and trained in Korea many times) but I didn't see any evidence that it's quite as bad as everybody makes out. Unless it's just the strip-mall aspect and kiddie belts... but the moves themselves seemed solid.

We trained with an MMAer (5 years boxing in Canada, 2 years and a blue belt in BJJ over here) and too, just to see what we would go across with unfamiliar action students... though as it was mostly for show we didn't really even just play around with any sparring.

So, we covered:

lots of gentle dynamic stretching

front (rising?) kick
    side kick
    back kick
    spinning hook kick

and one other. (I have probably totally ballsed up those names... I'll have to check with my friend!)

We looked at distancing, power, specific stretches for specific kicks, and worked the pads with them.

At the end I larked about with the MMA geezer a bit; we compared double legs between my teacher's and BJJ, he showed me another couple of takedowns and the x-guard which was quite nice.

Incidentally, I'd forgotten how cool the Shinjuku Sports Centre is... and that was the first time I'd been on a Sunday evening...

There were some top-level pro Pancrase fighters up there, capoeiristas galore, stunt and action guys going through some crazy-assed wushu and capoeira routines and acrobatics, some Shooto guys, some goju beginners being taken through sanchin again and again for three hours, some aikido doods, plain ground grapplers... met some of the Pancrase guys, capeoiristas and action guys - fantastic place for MA networking!

But boy, is my ass gonna be sore tomorrow! (From the high kicks, you sickoes!)

Half an hour's sleep last night after the session, as my baby decided to try an all-nighter for the first time...

don't somehow see myself getting my weights programme back in line today...

Hey,

a quick comment on your use of tabata intervals with weights. The tabata protocol is exercising to 90% max heart rate (220-age) for 20 seconds for 8-10 rounds with 10s active rest. At high heart rates motor skills go, and performing a complex movement under load may increase your risk of injury. Given your history of back problems, you should probably avoid using windmills with this and stick to stuff like swings, thrusters (squat to push press), and squats.

A nice way to set this sort of thing up would be a 3-5x5 circut of 3-5 exercises, followed by something like thrusters or pushups or front squats done tabata style.

BTW- caught some of your youtube clips, nice stuff. The manji stepping is eeriely reminiscent of some baji and xing yi stuff I've seen. To my eye it would seem like it's developing characteristics similar to the battle punches for long pole in Wing Chun (opening the hips while stabilizing the upper back). Where do you find similarities or differences?

Later,

Andrew

cool. links mr punch?? pm if preffered

also this may be totally random, but you don't know an english bjjer living in tokyo by the name of philip do you?

Today, another night of no wakefulness, and totally shagged... add 28 degs and round about 85% humidity... and you get... 53 pushups in a minute and that's your lot! (Oh well, at least it's a PB)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Hey,

a quick comment on your use of tabata intervals with weights. The tabata protocol is exercising to 90% max heart rate (220-age) for 20 seconds for 8-10 rounds with 10s active rest. At high heart rates motor skills go, and performing a complex movement under load may increase your risk of injury. Given your history of back problems, you should probably avoid using windmills with this and stick to stuff like swings, thrusters (squat to push press), and squats.

A nice way to set this sort of thing up would be a 3-5x5 circut of 3-5 exercises, followed by something like thrusters or pushups or front squats done tabata style.
    Nice idea and good advice, and yes, although I don't think there was much danger of injury (I always concentrate on form over reps, esp in the tabata, which is one reason why I don't really make gains so often) it was the windmills that totally fried me last time.

BTW- caught some of your youtube clips, nice stuff. The manji stepping is eeriely reminiscent of some baji and xing yi stuff I've seen. To my eye it would seem like it's developing characteristics similar to the battle punches for long pole in Wing Chun (opening the hips while stabilizing the upper back). Where do you find similarities or differences?
    They're not really mine: I'm no expert! They're ones of my former teacher... and it was after I'd left the class so I'm not even anywhere near.

And yes, I thought it was similar to the pole's punching exercise, but I don't know the pole, so I'm no expert on that either, except for the pole warm-ups... which is where the hips and back come... no time now but I'll hit this in detail soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    cool. links mr punch?? pm if preffered

also this may be totally random, but you don't know an english bjjer living in tokyo by the name of philip do you?
    The links are already around on Samurai Jack's blog, don't have time to dig them out just now...

Met a Phil Yeomans who does BJJ, maybe 6'2: he was a friend of and training some stand-up with one of my fu-bros. Can't say I know him.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 06-26-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Was going to try your suggestion with the tabatas Andrew, but time cut it short again...

iron cross:
    bar (1.7 kg - x 2 of course) x 10
    3 x 5 x 4.2
    3 x 5 x 6.7
    3 x 5 x 7.95
    1 x 5 x 9.2
    2 x 3 x 9.2
    1 x 3 x 10.45

Overhead press
    3 x 5 x 11.7
    3 x 5 x 16.7

Decided on shoulder programme for next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post

Not to hijack, Mr. Punch, but I have a little insight here:

I did Hsing-i and Pa Kua for seven years before I came to Aikido, and my first impression was that there are way more similarities between these three arts than any others I've seen or sampled. In fact Pa Kua and Aikido share one movement in particular that isn't supposedly found in any other arts, namely Kokyu Ho (called Phoenix Spreads Wings in Pa Kua).

I asked about the similarites on the internal arts board back in 2003 and got flamed so hard I've never mentioned it since. Not that the Trolls objections didn't have merit. Just that my position was either misunderstood, or purposely ignored.

The idea that ancient Samurai studied internal martial arts in the middle of Japan's isolationist period seems far fetched. The idea that Morihei Ueshiba studied Hsing-i and/or Pa Kua in a Manchurian Prison for two months and somehow assimilated the entire essence of the arts (then went back in time and taught it to everyone in the Daito Ryu from his Aikijutsu lineage) also defies reason.

So why are these three arts so similar, when no other arts in Japanese history look the same, nor do any other arts in China have the same flavor? Maybe the issue dosen't require time travel, nor any Historical gymnastics. Could it be as simple as basic body mechanics used by Soldiers in armor using similar weapons?

Remember, Aiki focuses on spear, staff, and sword work, and was developed by Japanese warriors who were accustomed to wearing armor. Unlike other systems of Jujutsu, Aikijutsu actually intergrates the weapons work into the empty hand techniques. For example a sword cut and a hand strike will be performed the exact same way.

Hsing-i was based on Spear and Sword work, and was used to train Chinese soldiers. Hsing-i integrates empty hand and weapons work as well. Pa Kua Chang was probably developed by Dong Hai Chuan, an Imperial Palace bodyguard, who trained other bodyguards to use.... you guessed it, spears, swords, and armor. According to some lineages, Pa Kua and Hsing-i also influenced each other.

So it's not so far-fetched to think that the developers of these styles, which used similar weapons and methods came to similar conclusions, and thus developed nearly identical body mechanics.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 06-27-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Yeah, I seem to remember that thread and saying that I didn't think either option was likely but that there seemed to many similarities...

I agree, and I think it does come down to pole and spear work, which is why I think it's a shame that the pole in WC is so shrouded in secrecy/advanced as that seems to share some of the characteristics. It means that many practitioners are losing out on some very basic power-generation aspects that they should be learning from Day One.

Incidentally, Akuzawa, the koryu teacher I got my exercises from, also did Hsing Yi with somebody relatively famous and good, and he said the same thing. He also used to include exercises from Hsing Yi too, (like the stepping 'chain punch' type thingy - for want of the correct terminology! ) but then he stopped in favour of only working the koryu stuff.

Last night:

half an hour of tachi-dori waza. Taught the basics my movie action friend for his show-reel.

Great!

Hadn't done it in a long time, but reminded me how much I love it (and lived it!)!

In aiki too, those who don't practice so much sword (or at least bokuto) and jo stuff are really missing out compared to those who do too: it helps the power generation, footwork, angles of defence etc. We used to do about half and half weapons (including contemporary ones) and unarmed.

Got up heroically early (overslept 25 mins) considering the ****ty weather and my baby keeping us awake all night again.

That extra 25 mins would have been useful as could have done another exercise or two and on to the tabatas, but had to go light n quick again.

(Weights inc the bar weight of 1.7... all x 2 of course being as there're two dbs! )

lateral raises:
    3 x 5 x 7.95
    3 x 5 x 9.2
    1 x 3 x 10.45

front raises:
    same

shrugs (front and back):
    5 x 5 x 7.95
    5 x 5 x 9.2
    5 x 5 x 10.45
    5 x 5 x 11.7
    1 x 5 x 14.2
    1 x 5 x 16.7
    1 x 5 x 19.2

meh. time time time...

another half a workout...

too little sleep, felt fatigued before i started.

of course, all dbs so all x2

BP 1 x 10 x 11.7
    5 x 5 x 16.7
    1 x 5 x 19.2
    1 x 4F x 19.2
    1 x 3 x 19.2

Arnold OP
    1 x 10 x 2.95
    1 x 10 x 11.7
    1 x 4F x 16.7
    3 x 3 x 16.7
    1 x 3 x 19.2

shrugs
    1 x 10 x 11.7
    5 x 5 x 16.7
    5 x 5 x 19.2
    5 x 5 x 21.7
    5 x 5 x 24.2

other half tonight...!? or sleep

Opted for sleep, had a busy day yesterday in a few ways.

Trained 6-930 in the eve.

D amn good session.

Bit of everything and only complaint is didn't have more time to work in a bit more detail on a few more things.

Started with some stretches for my fu-bro who's done his back in. Refreshed him on the McGill's lower back ones that I usually do and mentioned a couple of El Macho's for hip adductors and glutes.

Then

Some chi sao with a couple of fu-bros I hadn't seen for a long time.

Light sparring from a chi sao base with an Okinawan (shuri-te) karate guy who was a complete noob to fu. Didn't see much point in starting from chi sao since he had no idea of forward intent or relaxation (but that's what he wanted to do so, oh well) - tried ot give him some idea, but he wasn't getting my explanation so I went with slapping him about a bit to illustrate my points. Then we moved up to a bit of light sparring (no gear) but he obviously wasn't used to anything other than typical karate stuff of coming in and out: the constant forward attacking was obviously more aggresive than he was used to and kind of overwhelmed him (and I was being sweet n nice and not going hard). Bit disappointed in not getting any kind of challenge: very different to Goju ryu guys (which is naha-te) as far as I remember.

Chi sao with a twenty-year formal sempai (sidai?) from my informal fu-bro's school. He was crap. Very disappointed. And yeah, I wasn't being competitive: we started slowly, just testing intent and structure and rolling slowly and upped the intensity slowly for about twenty minutes... he kept backing away and had no angle stepping at all.

Then some padded semi-contact sparring with my fu-bro who also does Muay Thai. He said anything goes, so I got to play with a bit of grappling to. Nice session. He's probably better than me, but way shorter, so I can afford to be a bit slack (though I was trying to keep things tight!). I was a bit too slack and occasionally tanning/kap jaarning his mid roundhouses: bad idea without perfect timing and distancing, and I got an evil knock to my elbow which has since swollen up. Hope it doesn't put me out of any training! Still, lesson well learned: started using my legs to check him more, both by blocking, and counter-kicking; keeping my distance with front kicks until I was ready to go in, and stop-kicking his kicking leg or his post leg when I read his timing right. Went well. Worked a nice single leg takedown (half swept him but wasn't sure if he take the landing so changed it halfway through) from a leg-catch, straight into a bungled mount, swiftly took side mount and simulated beating the crap out of him. He's not a grappler at all, so it was all too easy, but it was good to know that this grappling **** works really well on people who dont have a clue! Also got a DLT later and would've been guillotined but he didn't know how, so I went through guillotines with him.

Then (very?) light contact sparring with a biiig fu-bro. I was trying to work the crazy monkey guard in close range, to get underhooks or a good clinch/elbow position. Reasonably successful, certainly worth working on with gear next time. Tried one of those funky TKD roundhouses I'd been taught coupla weeks ago: copped his elbow with the top of my foot right next to the bruise from last time... hurts with weight on it today so hope that doesn't put me out of training! Next time just gonna stick with the Thai style shin kick roundhouse!

Bit more chi sao with a relative noob still terrified of being hit. Tried to build his confidence a bit.

Then an hour of movie action training: working wing chun hands for purely flash effect! Great fun, but pretty much useless from a fighting perspective, other than teaching my partner basic boxing punches.

Good sesh. Next week more of the same, but want to work some DLT drills, sprawl drills, and basic groudwork if my biiig fu-bro's back's better. Have to remember the kickpads next week too.

Planned some suburi bokuto work and to get back on with shiko and shintai jiku, plus some weights tonight, but the weather's still really crap (really really humid, bout 26-7) and I have too much work, plus family stuff.

Fit in an hour of movie action training again, this time going over the flash looking WC apps with a bit more care substance and attention to detail. So this time it was more like MA training, but still not especially useful in that respect.

Looked at basic boxing punches and combos.
    Basic chain punch (turning and advancing).
    Pak sao drill.
    Pak-da/palm-back of knee stomp kick-turn corner to fuk sao control takedown from behind.
    Variations on the takedown: grabbing the shoulders and slamming backwards, controlled descent onto your knee, and standing RNC.
    Working to the inside: tan-palm, inside pak to fak-hook-elbow combo.

Little or no resistance, set drills, very slow and basic, but not too shoddy.

Lacklustre day. If I can finish my work on time, tomorrow should be better,a nd the good news was yesterday's injuries which were acting up a lot this morning too seem to have disappeared.