Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Punch's Brand Spanking New Blog

Second half of the upper body workout I started, ohh, on Saturday. But still, progress.

DBs as usual so x2 where appropriate.

Bent-over row

1 x 10 x bar (1.7kg)
    3 x 5 x 6.7
    3 x 5 x 9.2
    3 x 5 x 11.7
    3 x 5 x 16.7
    3 x 5 x 21.7

Surprisingly easy, even for this light a weight... try bigger next time.

Front raise

1 x 10 x bar
    5 x 5 x 6.7
    3 x 5 x 9.2
    3 x 5 x 11.7

Lat raise + Iron cross, superset with tricep kickback.

1 x 10 x 4.2
    3 x 5 x 6.7
    3 x 3 x 9.2

This last baby was sweet.
    I realised I didn't have time to do any more exercises so I put the three together. The Iron cross has the overhead press and the bicep curl in it anyway.

My left arm was losing it towards the end so I'll probably stick at the same weight next time till my left catches up with my right.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Now the bad news...

My injuries turned out to be work-throughable, but it also turns out I picked up a staph infection from rolling at the sports centre on Sunday. ****. It's not too bad, but Japanese doctors provide child's doses of anitbiotics, and she didn't even take a swab sample to see if it was MRSA.

And it means I can't pick up my baby, and we have to wash all the ****ing towels and everything separately.

Anyone tell me how long it should take to clear up?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

I presume you have an area of infected skin- a cellulitis. It should be responding pretty well inside of 2 days with noticable change in the affected area. Draw an outline around the red part of the affected area. If the red margins are spreading past the outline in the next day or two, not shrinking, head back to the doctor.

Andrew

It's folliculitis so it's more separate spots so far.

Seems to be calming down a bit.
    The pussy heads are going.

Hey Mat, that sounds bad especially not being able to pick your daughter up. I had read about such possibilities; I seem to also remember Neilhytolt raving on about not training with people for this reason. I assume that it is actually quite rare to contract stuff like this in a training environment?

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Hey Mat, that sounds bad especially not being able to pick your daughter up. I had read about such possibilities; I seem to also remember Neilhytolt raving on about not training with people for this reason. I assume that it is actually quite rare to contract stuff like this in a training environment?

Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Ive never really heard of things like ringworm being a problem in wing chun from chi sao contact for example, but at some wrestling/mma places it is, especially as its more full body contact. In fact some gyms have a reputation for it...

Wash the mats, use proper hygiene (tea tree oil shower gel is supposed to be good for preventing it), and if someone has it they dont come to training till its cleared up. That way it wont ever be a problem. Oh, and if you go to seminars or other clubs, wear gi pants and full rashguard hahaha

Mat,

Unlucky man, hope it clears up soon and you get back to having fun with your kid!

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    Wash the mats
    Public gym...
    use proper hygiene
    Always been a hygiene freak, especially since I ran a restaurant and even more so now I have a baby. HAd a shower before I went training and another one immediately after (but not allowed to use soap in the gym shower) and yet another one when I got home!
    (tea tree oil shower gel is supposed to be good for preventing it)
    Tea tre shmea tree... over here it'd be cheaper and easier to have my arm amputated!

Definitely gettign rash guard stuff... and a full NBC suit!

Unlucky man, hope it clears up soon and you get back to having fun with your kid!
    It's cleared up even with the extremely weak Japanese anitibiotics: thanks for your kind words!

Bench

3 x 10 x 7.5
    5 x 5 x 15
    5 x 5 x 17.5
    2 x 3 x 18.75
    1 x 5 x 18.75 (forgot how many I was doing!
    3 x 3 x 20
    1 x 3 x 21.25
    1 x 22.5

Still puny but way stronger than last time. My 1RM for bench is terrible: 50 kg.
    This time was my highest 1RM with DBs ( 2 x 22.5 DB= 45 + 2 x bar = 48.4kg). Gonna need to buy some more weights within a couple of weeks.

Iron cross and lateral raise superset
    5 x 5 x 5 only (had to finish)

Later fu:

pad punch work
    dan chi, moving dan chi
    bong sao drill
    chi sao

This was a bit annoying: had taken all my gear over to the gym on the first floor of my friend's place (bit of privacy, no disturbances, no staph!), but the ****ing concierge came and told us we shouldn't be doing padwork (of all things) in the gym 'because people would think we were fighting' ! Doh! I wanted to point out that Japan had a no slight history of MA, but thought I wouldn't put my friend wh lives there some kind of neighbour probs. Sooo, just chi sao!

Bits n bobs, but nothing solid till yesterday:

DLs and Squats superset:
    (dbs as usual so kg x 2)

1 x 10 x 16.7
    3 x 5 x 20.45
    3 x 5 x 24.2

(still the max I have in weights right now... will get some more when I'm comfortably able to bench, single bench and OP them)

Bent-over rows:

1 x 10 x 11.7
    3 x 5 16.7
    3 x 5 x 21.7
    3 x 3 x 26.7
    1 x 3 x 31.7

Lateral raises + iron cross superset

1 x 10 x 4.2
    3 x 5 x 6.7
    1 x 5 x 9.2

Out of time...

Later: action movie seminar work with TKD teacher.

TKD warm-ups and kicks for about an hour.
    Wing chun hands for an hour - punch against pads, stepping punches, pak against stepping punches, pak - punch outside, pak - turn corner takedown, biu - palm on inside, pak - fak - hook - elbow on inside... nothing with resistance apart from padwork - but that's the nature of movie action seminars! And still a good workout.

Finally did the movie action seminar yesterday.

First hour and a half was TKD basic kicks. Nice.
    Second part was WC, mostly punches, exaggerated pak da and pak da stamp takedown on the outside and exaggerated biu sao palm on the inside.
    Fun, but ultimately somewhat useless martially.

Then in the eve got a quick hour and a bit of chi sau with four very different people. Since I don't really rate chi sao type exercises with other chunners as being especially useful anymore at my stage I wasn't really into the idea, but it was OK. There was a WSL's stude's stude over from HK, and he had quite good hands. Couldn't get so much on me without my compliance, but thought he had at several stages. Funny tho, he was a 3.5 yr student and because Japan is so polite, everybody was getting advice off him... despite having 8+ years!

Nice guy. Will prob train with his kwoon next time I'm in HK - esp since he's invited us so there'd be none of that last minute 'Who's your sigung? Well sorry, you can't train with us then!' BS that I got last time (stupid wankers!)!

Had summer camp with a bunch of pupils last week... had a bit of exercise with them in the not-so-great outdoors (the Japanese don't know how to have a camp...!) and did a sesh of bodyweight intervals.

Now:

BP
    1 10 11.7
    3 3 19.2
    3 3 21.7
    1 3 24.2
    1 1 24.2F

OP
    1 10 11.7
    3 3 14.2
    3 3 16.7
    3 3 19.2
    1 1 20F

Not bad with those two... wanted to do back-off set of BP but no time. Back-off set of OP in ironcross.

Lat raise + iron cross + kickbacks SS
    1 10 4.2
    3 3 7.95
    1 3 9.2

No time as usual.

Bent rows + shrugs SS
    3 5 24.2

Rough template based on one of Exrx's two-day workouts. Always meant to do it but no time. Work slackened off now for summer hol, so should be able to get four weeks of good solid training in (although I do have another Summer Camp, so I'll have to stick to bodyweight and form etc then... mind you, one of my fu-bros is doing the camp with me so maybe do something else).

Upper body yesterday: lower body today, supposed to include abs but due to lack of time (work lighter but still got baby! ), I'll do the abs, obliques etc tomorrow instead of a rest day.

DLs
    4 5 24.2*
    1 10 24.2*

Squats
    5 5 24.2*

Calf raises (first time)
    1 10 24.2* (both legs)
    5 5 16.7* (each leg)

* is of course doubled for being DBs.

For Squats and DLs the weight is way under what I should and want t be doing but still have to stick with these weights, so going to go for more reps for endurance for now. Didn't have time for any warm-up sets today tho, so a light workout all round.

Abs etc

Tabata DB swings

Tabata crunches + 5 kilo plate
    Total 178

Oblique Ball Rolls
    5 5 11.7
    3 5 16.7
    3 5 21.7

Too easy, bigger next time. Pleased, last time was ages ago but 10 kg was a struggle.

Windmills*
    1 10 11.7
    3 5 16.7

Same as above. Happy. Progress slow, but progress anyway.

Sporadic exercise activity over the weekend due to being busy with family and moving house... but A LOT of lifting heavy boxes full of books into high places...

More of the same yesterday plus

five mins speed cycling + tabata sprints + 30 mins interval swimming + 15 speed cycling.

OMG tabata sprints: first time... what a killer!

I've done interval sprints before but never with such intensity... wicked - need to do those again!

Forgot, i also did a meagre ten mins of chi sao yesterday (bit since I think chi sao is of minimal use topping it up with quality chi sao every now and then is about as useful as it gets), and a little forward energy exercise.

Today, cut short again through time... again small gains, but again gains so I'm happy:

BP*
    1 10 11.7
    3 5 21.7
    2 5 24.2
    1 4F 24.2

OP*
    1 10 10
    3 3 19.2
    3 3 21.7

Tabata BP 2 x 5kg dbs