Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

Glad you guys like that site

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Bawang must be my spirit brother.

My best training ever received was in this guy's backyard. He was brutal, we trained late as hell, and I never left without some sort of pain. He wasn't kind at all, and when he finally let me advance a level, I had to take my advancement paper from him, which hurt even more. Sry, Bawang... we were both white guys.

Later, when I started studying from others, it was forms forms forms, and random weird stuff. I've lost my edge as a result.

You don't need $100k for good training. Some of the best teachers either don't charge a dime, or charge a reasonable amount so they can keep the school running and make a living.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Check out our March April issue

Dr. Yang is on the cover and he discusses his retreat center.

A Commitment to Preserve the Art by me in our March April 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its been a while since there was an update on this project, and I see a few misunderstandings in here.

I'll be brief.

SCHEDULE
    The training routine at the Center is 6 days a week, and it changes each semester. It is also flexible, and based around the talents, limitations, and skill of each student. They are allowed whatever rest needed to be in top form, within the usual standard of traditional Chinese kung fu study.

The 10-year program started Sept 2008. The first two years were just body conditioning. Now they are getting into techniques. They also teach classes locally and some assist with seminars all Summer, if they choose to stay rather than go home for Summer.

They will learn Dr Yang's complete knowledge, and will have guest instructors of other styles in the later years of the program. Aside from kung fu, they learn Chinese language, weapons, caligraphy, music, and more.

MONEY
    Dr. Yang conceived of the project years ago, and we started building it in 2005. After his three kids graduated school, he moved out West and put the rest of his life savings into the land, building a road, digging a well, getting solar power, insurance, all kinds of legal fees in the process of getting accredited as a learning institution. All very expensive. He personally has no savings whatsoever, not that its any of our business. The project is barely breaking even each year. He is NOT making millions, or even thousands in profit.

The accounting for a nonprofit is VERY strict, and every cent goes back into the Center so it may function in perpetuity.

And more to the point regarding money, he is 65. He has outlived his father by many years. He will be happy to survive to see the end of the program, and see some high-quality graduated students to continue preserving the traditional arts. That is all. The guy teaches 364 days a year, starting at 5am, often til 10pm. He does this out of respect for his own sifu, and his love of the arts.

He would have loved to semi-retire at 65 and travel and teach less, but he cannot afford to.

At the end of the 10-year program, it is planned that another similar nonprofit program will begin for the next generation.

I assure you there is no money to be made in publishing, especially in-depth traditional martial arts books and videos. It is a break-even scenario that can employ 4 people annually at the most, with modest salary.

The entire place is run by volunteers, including the fundraising. At first, we tried finding a few big donors, to support 10 students for 10 years, which we estimated at $500,000 or more. We have found a few great annual donors who have made the whole thing possible, but for the most part, the fundraising has become much more grassroots, and we get by with $25 donations, and have stopped looking for large donors. Although that would've made the whole thing a lot easier.

His original intention was raise outside funds, and take $ out of the teacher/student relationship as it was with his own teacher.

# of STUDENTS
    We went through about 150 serious applications, and of these, there were about 25 real contenders for the program, some of whom who had the support of their parents, or some other means of participating. Of the ten selected, three have left. Seven remain, and there may be a 2nd round of students added in 2013, if the funding is available, for a 5-year program. Dr Yang personally funded three of the students, who had no financial support.

With food, insurance and travel/VISA, it costs about $10,000 per student annually. Cheaper than college, and way cooler. Several of them are already excellent teachers.

SEE FOR YOURSELF
    There are seminars all Summer, and anyone can come to join the training any time, year-round.

Details, including financial reporting, seminar schedules, curriculum, details about visiting, photos, videos, student blogs, can all be found at http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org

Come visit! Its very nice up there, inexpensive, great training with people from around the world, and the best food you'll ever eat.

(again, this is not spam. I am not inviting an attack. Just answering questions about the project. Peace.)

YMAA,

You did an excellent job explaining the program. Thank you for taking the time. Presuming everything you said is true, and there is no reason to believe it is not, Dr. Yang is to be admired. I am sure many of us would've likeed this kind of opportunity when we were younger!

Man, I can think of some other legendary teachers I wish would've done this as well. Dr Yang Is an incredible man.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Have a number of Dr. Yang's training volumes, following his work when he was still an engineer in Texas. Quite humble and 'way knowledgeable. Many thanks for his contribution to TCMA.

Wow, the program seems absolutely ridiculous (not in a bad way).

10 years is a long time. I wonder if it will truly take that long to impart the necessary knowledge.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Whoa, I remember this thread! I started it 4 years ago. lol.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Whoa, I remember this thread! I started it 4 years ago. lol.
    and, after a YEAR of no activity, our friend with the multiple personalities came and raised it from the dead and then just disappeared
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

10 years. it is only arbitray time frame.

granted that Kung fu is a life long persuit, but usually started at younger age.

for some people with physical talents, 10 years are not necessary.

for people with "hurdles", 10 years may not be enough.

so how high a mountain may be called high? tai shan, hua shan, huang shan or himalaya?

how deep a pond may be called deep?

how good a cave may be called good?

if the mountain is high enough that gods or fairies may live on the top, it is high enough and may be called spiritual mountains or ling shan.

if the pond/lake is deep enough that a dragon may dwell in it. it is deep enough.

if the cave is good enough that a tiger or bear lives in it, it is good enough.

1. central kuoshu guan in nanjing, I think it is only 2 years programs.

2. shuai jiao/qin na are 6 to 10 months in a 2 year or 4 year central police academy/university (taiwan).

---

so the question is that 10 years long enough for you or not?

specialization

1. archery. 10 years of shooting arrows only and nothing else.

2. horse riding--

oops,

that was and still is the olympic persuits

3, running,

4 swimming

---

I like the idea of kung fu retreat but may be at shorter interval.

a lot of people may not do it for 10 years en bloc and nothing else.

I think in 2012, China will send tai kong naut/ren on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    and, after a YEAR of no activity, our friend with the multiple personalities came and raised it from the dead and then just disappeared
    Just like maaaaAAAAAaaaaaaagic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    10 years. it is only arbitray time frame.

granted that Kung fu is a life long persuit, but usually started at younger age.

for some people with physical talents, 10 years are not necessary.

for people with "hurdles", 10 years may not be enough.

so how high a mountain may be called high? tai shan, hua shan, huang shan or himalaya?

how deep a pond may be called deep?

how good a cave may be called good?

if the mountain is high enough that gods or fairies may live on the top, it is high enough and may be called spiritual mountains or ling shan.

if the pond/lake is deep enough that a dragon may dwell in it. it is deep enough.

if the cave is good enough that a tiger or bear lives in it, it is good enough.

1. central kuoshu guan in nanjing, I think it is only 2 years programs.

2. shuai jiao/qin na are 6 to 10 months in a 2 year or 4 year central police academy/university (taiwan).

---

so the question is that 10 years long enough for you or not?

NO, IMO it is too long.

To be honest if you just wanna be a fighter...

Train 6-days a week 4-5 hours a day at a MMA gym, Muay Thai gym, etc.

If you want "specialized" training then save some cash and go to Thailand, Netherlands (Dutch MT), China (Sanda), or where ever.

You can probably get better fighting training in three months in Thailand than this program in an entire year, if you go to a hardcore no-nonsense gym like Kaewsamrit.

Another issue is training partners. If you just train, spar with the same other 9 people all year long for 10 years then, well, you will be so used to those guys and their movement. I know they bring in external students but do they actually spar together or just do forms together? That's the important thing.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I expect they would have more interest if they promoted 2- and 4- year programs.