Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

their website says almost all quit in the first year

yang jwing ming trolled them in real life
    Last edited by bawang; 10-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

It is a 10-year program because when Dr. Yang was a teenager, that was still considered the bare minimum that one could train with a master and learn the style. His white crane master lived and trained with his own master for 24 years. He could kick the bark off a tree.

The intention of the Retreat Center is to raise the standard of traditional Chinese martial arts training to that of ancient times.

We are not looking to appeal to a wide audience and get a larger response. We searched for a few exceptional individuals who are willing to put in the time/effort.

Bawang - you are wrong.

"their website says almost all quit in the first year
    yang jwing ming trolled them in real life"

Out of eleven 1st-year students, four have left. One trial-student never got his VISA worked out and had to leave the country.

One quit after the first year. Life on the mountain was not for him.

One got into a car accident during his Summer break and has permanent spine damage.

And one recently was sick for months on end, and decided to leave to study TCM instead.

Others will leave, and a few will succeed. We know this. Get your facts straight when disparaging my teacher. He's a good guy.
    Videos

does that mean

4 opening slots may be filled by new applicants.

even thou they may start a year late, they may also finish 10 years programs a year later.

Another disciple published

The proof is in the pudding, as they say....perhaps 'in the print' is a better way to put it. We just published another article by one of Dr. Yang's disciples. See The Importance of Breathing in Martial Arts By Jáchym Jerie in our 2010 November/December issue.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

10 years is a ridiculous amount of time to learn a style, any style.

Because he learned that way doesn't make it the right way.

Not to be disparaging, I just don't agree with the premise or a method that takes 10 years out of someones life.

Continued practice? sure, 10 years no problem the rest of your life? no problem. 10 years to learn a kung fu style?

Rubbish. I can be a brain surgeon in less time.

To elevate martial arts to this level is absolutely absurd.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    My friend told me that it will take 10 years of gradulate school work to get a computer science PhD degree from the Stanford University.

If you started your CMA training when you were

- 5 years old, the 1st year of your elementary school (1th grade), 6 years of grade school + 3 years of junior high + 1 year of senior high, you will only be 15 years old after 10 years of CMA training.

- 11 years old, the 1st year of your junior high (7th grade), 3 years of junior high + 3 years of senior high + 4 years of college will make exactly 10 years. You will be only 21 years old.

10 years may sound like a long time, but whether we train or not, that 10 years will pass by anyway. It's better to get something out of those 10 years than nothing at all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-13-2010 at 04:55 PM.

im paying 5 thousand a year for college tuiotion. this guy is charging 10 thousand a year to teach something farmers did for fun
    i been awake 48 hours doing lab assignment nonstop. kung fu training is nowhere at same level
    Last edited by bawang; 10-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

10 years is figurative. just means many and many years.

10 also means perfect.

such as double 10 or double perfects October 10th

and this year is triple 10, Oct. 10, 2010.

many chinese young couples around the world sealed their marriages on this triple perfect day.

just saying the obvious.

10 years means a very and very long time.

Whoever started this whole "retreat" has zero business sense. I can see why he has no savings. When the place finally folds, which it will, he will have less than zero savings.

Dr. Ming is being very 'Shaolin'. Personally I do not consider 25 years to be too long to learn a style such as that being taught. Monk's are not concerned with striped belts and degrees, trophies or plaques. If you look at Ming's body of work to date you will understand his credentials in the International Kung Fu Community.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Dr. Ming is being very 'Shaolin'. Personally I do not consider 25 years to be too long to learn a style such as that being taught. Monk's are not concerned with striped belts and degrees, trophies or plaques. If you look at Ming's body of work to date you will understand his credentials in the International Kung Fu Community.
    He has translated a lot of other people's books into english. That is good.

I don't consider 25 years too long to practice a style, but to learn it?
    Heck I don't think a lifetime is too long to practice.

I believe his surname is Yang and not Ming.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So, according to Yang, you NEED 10 years to learn long fist? ...........

hmmmmmmmm
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    10 years is a ridiculous amount of time to learn a style, any style.

Because he learned that way doesn't make it the right way.

Not to be disparaging, I just don't agree with the premise or a method that takes 10 years out of someones life.

Continued practice? sure, 10 years no problem the rest of your life? no problem. 10 years to learn a kung fu style?

Rubbish. I can be a brain surgeon in less time.

To elevate martial arts to this level is absolutely absurd.
    Ten years barely scratches the surface in some styles. Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut and Praying Mantis have very large curriculums. Now add to that the things Sifu Yang is also offering: Chinese language, music and philosophy.

He appears to be creating well-rounded individuals, not the superficial students most schools put out.

I applaud his efforts!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Ten years barely scratches the surface in some styles. Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut and Praying Mantis have very large curriculums. Now add to that the things Sifu Yang is also offering: Chinese language, music and philosophy.

He appears to be creating well-rounded individuals, not the superficial students most schools put out.

I applaud his efforts!
    I think that we go deeper, but to acquire a system doesn't take ten years. Unless you are a very lazy person or have no practice ethic.

Yes, 10 years in, you really get deeper understanding of a given style, even robust systems. But to learn them? The law of diminishing returns will kick in long before ten years is up unless you are being taught only forms and learning one move a week. Which would be weird.

On average, fairly robust styles can be learned in 3 to 5 years and mastered in 10. At least, as I see guys in practice, that's basically how it goes. Yes, there will always be a segment of folks who lack the drive and commitment and take forever to learn 3 moves and get the same lesson oevr and over again. But lets say, those folk don't actually count when it comes to the actual art form.

As far as results, that remains to be seen. So far people are quitting it seems.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

I applaud his efforts!
    10 years of living in a "retreat" = less well rounded & more cultish.