Thread: What are kungfu forms to you? And how to apply the moves in selfdefense?

What are kungfu forms to you? And how to apply the moves in selfdefense?

To me,

Forms are a guide or a book full of techniques BUT the techniques are a concept just an idea.

Meaning for me: each move how small and subtile it might be, i have to work out with a resisting partner.Forms offer me concepts, that i need to work out with a partner. Besides that if learns me stances, fighting spirit and trying to keep moves in motion.

Maybe i am totally wrong with my views on it but that is why i made this thread. So if you want to explain your views on it i can learn much more.

Hi.

I agree that movements in forms are essentially ideas and concepts.

Any kung fu system has its own basic skill sets. IMO, these should be learned and trained before learning forms. Stances, footwork, defensive/offensive hand skills, takedowns, kicks/trips/sweeps, spatial awareness, etc. These should be drilled against bags and pads, with partners, and by one's self. These should be trained at first singly, then in logical combinations, then in various levels of sparring.

The techniques in forms are performed in a stylized, idealized manner. But they teach flow/continuity, as well as transitions. Although oftentimes the angles/positioning are different from how the application(s) would actually work. Forms also teach one to perform movements and go into and out of positions that are unnatural in everyday life, which develops balance, stability, and greater agility/ease of movement. Forms are a type of mnemonic device for cataloging various techniques and concepts. They also help to shape and habituate one's body/mind/nervous system to the style.

Pay special attention to techniques/combinations that show up repeatedly in forms. Why were they considered important enough to do that?

I've personally adapted a few moves (or movement variations) from a form (or forms) that are NOT generally seen as 'major' techniques, or overly popular within my system (AFAIK) into my own 'arsenal'. Actual application does not look exactly like in the form(s); it must be streamlined. But everything must be adapted to become workable, anyway. For something to become viable in a fighting context, it must be adapted, trained and incorporated in that context.

Just a few brief thoughts on this subject. Others' viewpoints and experiences may differ.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.