Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

i used to think its not honorable to teach for money but after learning mroe about chinese culture and going through money problems i change my mind. in chinese society the wu shi martial class is the lowest on the society even lower than farmers. they are treated with no respect and are treated like animals. many had to work for the criminals and rob people and be guards for prostitute blue houses and gambling houses.
    if u want to be traditional then give lots of money to your sifu and support your sifu (unless hes a cold business man and doesnt see u as a brother/friend/son)

thats why people fight to the death on the let tai. not for honor or glory or to be tough, but to fight for peoples entertainment for money. i think students should support their sifu.
    however i think sifus should develep closer relationship to student and take less students, and less like a business

however i think doctor yang is overdoing it and is charging too much money. we are talking about in the millions he is making here
    Last edited by bawang; 08-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    well, if you cannot afford reasonable tuition, then it means that you cannot either hold a job, or keep your finances in order. Either way, if you do not have the discipline to take care of your own basic needs, how could you possibly have the discipline to correctly and thoroughly learn Kung-Fu, as well as be a representative of your Sifu?
    Financial responsibility isn't the same as financial capability.

Since we're talking 17-21 year old's, we're talking high school education. Maybe a technical cert or Associates. How many people in that category are going to be able to front $30,000 for a year of training? How about none.

Granted I was making $30,000/year when I was 21. But I had to join the military to do it. So deals off right there cuz I can't do both. Same with firefighters, cops and health care. All time consuming, none affording the opportunity for that kind of commitment (which is way beyond just committing to the training), while being the only real opportunities for making that kind of money for that short of training (1-2 years of post high school ed).

Its just unrealistic. Somebody's gotta pay for it. More than likely the parents. If they got that kind of money to burn good for them. Though going back to responsibility, if they do they probably (crosses fingers) aren't dumb enough to get caught up in that trap to begin with. Though again, responsibility |= capability. I mean, I guess he could try and teach Paris Hilton

yes. there are many teachers offer classes in Taiwan and China that are free or low cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygaU-EUe8mg

People will pay what the market will bear.

YJM will get students who see him as worth that. No harm in that.

Many times there are people who buy a car only for it's name. It is not necessarily a better vehicle than a more economical choice, but it's the badge and the brand that they pay for.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Vid of Yang Jwing Ming's 10 year program thing

Just got this in my email (I'm sure everyone else did too)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=609182466301

The vid is actually kinda cool, I saw some pullups in there, some Parkour looking stuff, and some guitar playing.

Discuss.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Really? No replies?

When this program was announced it became a 10 page thread ranging from "awesome" to "creepy."

No one comments on their progress?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Awsome!

hehe but seriously looks fantastic, living and breathing MA 24/7 for 10 years! Livin the dream~

But how do they pay for all this if not working for 10 years? How much does it cost the students?
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com

Quote Originally Posted by 5thBrother View Post

But how do they pay for all this if not working for 10 years? How much does it cost the students?
    ...and that's where "creepy" comes in. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Just got this in my email (I'm sure everyone else did too)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=609182466301

The vid is actually kinda cool, I saw some pullups in there, some Parkour looking stuff, and some guitar playing.

Discuss.
    The programme may look and sound good but in such a capitalist society, I guess it is legal and worthwhile! The benefit must be intrinsic to the individual!
    If one is seeking true martial skill, I can be sure a 3 year shuaijiao programme is far more worhwhile!

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    The programme may look and sound good but in such a capitalist society, I guess it is legal and worthwhile! The benefit must be intrinsic to the individual!
    If one is seeking true martial skill, I can be sure a 3 year shuaijiao programme is far more worhwhile!
    truly.

------------
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Very impressive.
    I wish they wouldn't use the word "disciples". The history of the word makes the group sound like a cult.

Very cool, Sifu Yang is a cool guy and knows his stuff, I am sure that the people there are happy.
    The cost is something to wonder about, that's for sure but I think that its a personal choice to place a value on that type of training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Very cool, Sifu Yang is a cool guy and knows his stuff, I am sure that the people there are happy.
    The cost is something to wonder about, that's for sure but I think that its a personal choice to place a value on that type of training.
    definately. its no different than someone giving nearly or all that they have monitarily in the past to train under a famous well known sifu. whats money in comparison to a happy fulfilling life doing what you love? absolutely nothing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

whats actually their training schedule? anyone know?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

from the YMAA site: it looks like he's aiming at classical martial artists, with the horseback riding, art/music, etc...i do like that i see fire arms on that list though.

Training Hours
    Monday - Friday:
    (33 hours/week) x (39 weeks) = 1287 hours/year = (12870 hours/10 years)

Saturday:
    (3 hours/week) x (39 weeks) = 117 hours/year = (1170 hours/10 years)

Total Training Time = 14040 hours/10 Years

Lecture Hours
    Monday - Friday:
    (15 hours/week) x (39 weeks) = (585 hours/year) = (5850 hours/10 years)

Saturday:
    (1 hour/week) x (39 weeks) = (39 hours/year) = (390 hours/10 years)

Total Lecture Time = 6240 hours/10 Years

Meditation Hours
    Monday - Friday:
    (6 hours/week) x (39 weeks) = (234 hours/year) = (2340 hours/10 years)

Total Meditation Time = 2340 hours/10 Years

Instruction Hours
    Barehand
    (2400 hours) Staff
    (1000 hours) Saber
    (1000 hours)

Sword
    (1500 hours) Spear
    (1000 hours) Projectile Weapons
    (500 hours)

Other Weapons
    (1400 hours) Injury Treatment
    (200 hours) Horseback Riding
    (200 hours)

Firearms
    (200 hours) Qigong Theory
    (100 hours) Grand Circulation
    (300 hours)

Qigong Massage
    (500 hours) Meditation
    (800 hours) Medical Qigong
    (200 hours)

Nature
    (400 hours) English
    (600 hours) Chinese
    (600 hours)

History
    (600 hours) Teaching/Instructing
    (500 hours) Business
    (200 hours)

Financial Planning
    (200 hours) Cooking
    (200 hours) Music and Arts
    (300 hours)
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-14-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.