I got this in an email today. There were some pics, but I'm not going to link to them. I'm not gonna format it, either, cuz it was really long.

But there's a link at the bottom of the email for more info.

You think someone really wants to live there for 10 years?

Hello,

Welcome to the first-ever YMAA Retreat Center newsletter.

The Retreat Center is a new nonprofit facility currently under construction on 240 acres in Humbolt County, Northern CA. When completed, world renown Chinese martial arts master Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming will bring 15 exceptional students to live and train with him there for 10 years.

(By using the "Forward to a Friend' link at the bottom of this email, please forward this message to your family, friends, and anyone you feel might be interested in this project. Thank you.)

FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS

The deeper aspects of the Chinese arts are rarely taught in modern times. Even in China, due to the suppression of the arts during the Cultural Revolution, this higher knowledge is all but lost. Dr. Yang is one of the few remaining Masters who wishes to share his knowledge fully and instruct the techniques, morality, healing, and spirituality of the older generation. He is willing, now at age 60, to spend the next ten years of his life to ensure that the light of this ancient wisdom grow brighter in the world for future generations. Now that the benefits of Tai Chi and meditation are being studied by medical science, it is vital that we create a solid bridge between the East and West, to help bring society as a whole to a higher level of wellbeing, awareness and peace.

The size of this nonprofit project prevents Dr. Yang from being able to do it alone, though great progress has been made. A Silver, Gold, and Platinum Donor program has been created to make it simple for you to get involved in this unprecedented project. Some benefits for Donors include an invitation to the Center for the annual Supporter's Festival, faculty 'chair' positions, and the naming of training facilities after major Donors.
PROGRESS

Dr. Yang began this project in 2004. The 10-year training program is scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2008. Here is a summary of the progress made thus far:

* After searching the entire United States, Dr. Yang selected this property in Northern CA.
* In 2004, Dr. Yang formed the nonprofit Retreat Center in CA.
* The Center is recognized by CA as an Educational Facility.
* A road was built into the property, and covered with gravel. (4-wheel drive is required.)
* A solar array has been built to provide all energy. The property is 'off the grid' and completely self-sustaining.
* A well has been dug and the water pumping system is installed.
* A cabin and larger house have been built on the top of this 'small mountain'.
* Dr. Yang & volunteer students travel to the property twice a year to continue preparations.
* The program was announced and applications from interested students are now being reviewed. Applications will be accepted until mid-2007.
* Inside Kung Fu magazine will have a cover story on Dr. Yang and the Center in the May issue. Please watch for it in mid-March '07.

More info
GOALS

* Dr. Yang will teach the next generation of Masters. He will transmit his entire knowledge to the students selected.

* The expanded curriculum includes Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Qigong, weapons, horseback riding, massage, meditation, Chinese language, cooking, culture, and philosophy.

* Dr. Yang intends to raise the standard of Chinese martial arts training in the world.

* Students will demonstrate the highest levels of skill, morality, humility, and spirituality.

* The Center will communicate the true depth of Chinese Healing and Martial Arts.

* The program is estimated to cost $500,000 per year. Our fundraising goal to 'break even' is $5 M.

More info

Image"There are four main purposes of establishing this nonprofit Retreat Center.

1. To preserve Chinese arts to the same level as 50 years ago. From my experience of more than 35 years of teaching, I deeply realize that in order to preserve the Chinese martial to the profound level as in ancient times, a student must live in an environment similar to that in ancient times. Traditionally, a student would live together with a master for 10 years of training in a single martial art style. Back then, there was no TV, no computer, no external distraction, no social pressure, and no luxurious lifestyles like today. Daily life was simple, and the heart of training was sincere. A student was thus able to concentrate his/her whole mind in the training. Therefore, my plan is to take 15 students to this remote mountain environment for 10 years of training, nine months per year. With good discipline and instruction, I sincerely believe that I can raise the quality and depth of the arts to a standard as high as in ancient times.

2. To prove that today's youth is able to develop good self-discipline through traditional Chinese martial arts training as they were in ancient times. In this school, a student must learn and perform a high standard of self-discipline in order to persevere and succeed throughout the difficult training.

3. To raise awareness of martial morality. Due to widely-spread commercialized martial arts, such as Hollywood Kung Fu movies and culture, martial morality has been ignored in modern times. In this Retreat Center, a student must aim to achieve a high level of martial morality, including:

Morality of Deed: humility, respect, righteousness, trust, and loyalty.
Morality of Mind: will, endurance, perseverance, patience, and courage.

4. To plant the seed for future Chinese martial arts development. It is the intention with this camp to establish a model which demonstrates the structure and methods for preserving the Chinese Arts, and for planting the seed for future generations to continue this long-term development of the arts on the correct path. It is my hope that this type of training method will continue to spread and become popular in youth training centers around the world.

Thank you,
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming"