Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

RD- Benefit how? I see it as resitrictive. It is gonna be interesting to watch though.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

The addition of such a facillity would not impar on what any of us are doing. It would be an additional diversity, and be turning out some top notch players, that will strengthen Kung Fu in the long run.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Greetings..

A teacher being there all the time is a distraction, too.
    It can be a distraction, depending on the teacher.. similarly, if the teacher has real quality, they will see the same issues we do and compensate.. i think Dr. Yang is sensitive enough to let the students grow in their own ways.. his interest is in building a strong CMA system, not a cult..

I generally trust someone until they give me a reason not to.. Dr. Yang has given me no such reasons.. One of society's unhealthy traits is an over-abundance of skepticism.. there is healthy skepticism, then there is social paranoia.. much of society is steeped in paranoia (not that certain institutions haven't given us reason), but.. i think the paranoia is also a self-fulfilling prophesy, where the object of the paranoia finally defends itself in an escalating attempt to balance the equation.. not unlike the Dems vs. the Reps, where the goal of national interest yields to party paranoia, each seeking to protect its own interests..

If Dr. Yang's stated goals prevail over the skepticism, i think it will serve CMA well.. if not, it will make it that much more difficult for someone else to try something similar.. as an optimist i hope for the best.

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Thumbs up

Best wishes and good luck for all.

The addition of such a facillity would not impar on what any of us are doing
    Exactly, so how would it benefit us? There are already allot of "top notch players". The addition of only 15 more will change nothing for any of us. It's good for his lineage though.

Anyway, what is going to happen to his schools when he starts this intensive program?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Greetings..

What if? what if? What if?... What if his plan works, what if he produces 10 good teachers highly trained in a comprehensive system, what if they are savvy business people, what if they are successful.. What if the 10 each produce another 10 more..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

What if? what if? What if?... What if his plan works, what if he produces 10 good teachers highly trained in a comprehensive system, what if they are savvy business people, what if they are successful.. What if the 10 each produce another 10 more..

Be well..
    Que sera sera. What will be will be.

I think the students are in good hand. There will be plenty of stuff to keep them busy for the coming 3000 days.

even just doing the horse stance for 3000 days is an impeccable record or feat already.

or Tan Tui snap kick for 3000 days etc.

---

I would add 4 more things.

1. play a musical instrument (Qin): to understand and enjoy music and develop emotionally.

2. play chess (Chi): tactics and strategy. when to advance and when to retreat, see several moves ahead, know the big picture, lose small to win big etc etc. even Sun Tzu played chess, too.

3. write or read poems (Si or Shu): to understand and use of words to describe nature, characters, and emotions.

4. paint (Hua): to appreciate and paint.

These compliment or balance the "violent intent" of MA practice.

--

To be a better person is always more important than the fighting skills. or Zuo Ren.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 11-22-2006 at 12:52 AM.

I like the idea of the 3000 days of kungfu, SPJ. It would be really awesome to make a commitment to do that, then keep an online blog. Maybe get brothers and sisters to each take up a different specialty. Maybe that's too much like a wu xia movie, but it'd be fun to read about the golden bell guy, the iron palm lady, and the plum flower pole guy (for example) as they worked thier way through the daily training and became master's of thier respective disciplines.
    Bodhi Richards

Stay tuned for my "1000 Caddies Field Gate" blog.

Good points made by all, especially Samurai Jack and Ford.

But I can't help but wonder, what happens when the students complete 10 years of training and can still be beaten by an MMA guy with 1 month of training?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Good points made by all, especially Samurai Jack and Ford.

But I can't help but wonder, what happens when the students complete 10 years of training and can still be beaten by an MMA guy with 1 month of training?
    Not your best work...mmm 1.3 for you!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Iron,

Give me a freakin break. The MMA guy needs 2 months at least.

If your school is graduating students in a month, then

the school will be closed for business before long.

b/c the pool of students is depleted or turnover very fast.

--

"winning and losing, these are normal affairs of an army."

"the army with pride/conceit/over confidence will lose."

"the army with grief/sorrow will win" Sun Tzu.

as pointed out, the challenges are really on the shoulders of the students. if they may somehow stick it out as long as they can. they would set an example of long term commitments for other prospective students.

this would increase high retention rate of the students for the long haul and more business for all MA schools, teachers and related industry?

they would turn the legend/fairy tale into realism?

--

Blog Entries
    It will be very unlikely if Yang could arrange his teaching program as below:

1. 6 am to 7 am - 5 miles uphill running.
    2. 7 am - 8 am - breakfast.
    3. 8 am - 12 noon - heavy bag and weight equipment training.
    4. 12 noon - 1 pm - lunch break.
    5. 1 pm - 5 pm - Sanshou fights, wrestling, and ground fight.
    6. 5 pm - 7 pm - 2 men drills.
    7. 7 pm - 8 pm - dinner break.
    8. 8 pm - 10 pm - TCMA forms.
    9. 10 pm - go to bed with rope around your neck and legs (if you know what I mean).

10 years training like this could make anybody unbeatable. But do anybody know how will he arrange his training program?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-23-2006 at 04:49 PM.