Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's kung fu retreat?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Good points made by all, especially Samurai Jack and Ford.

But I can't help but wonder, what happens when the students complete 10 years of training and can still be beaten by an MMA guy with 1 month of training?
    It really depends on what one wants to achieve.

If you are interesting in sparring or fighting competitions, then you want short turnover time. some basic punches, kicks and throws. understanding the rules and spar away. the more you fight/spar, the better you are, so you may keep a sparring log and attend matches in a sparring/fight club.

If you are to promote, progagate or "move" the traditions of a style in a new direction or add more stuff etc. Then you are into research, try and error etc. The process will be ongoing till late lifetime.

Dong Hai Chuan had some finer stuff of Ba Gua Zhang passed to Liang Zhen Pu, the final student.

each practitioner may add their experiences from practicing and interpretations, Such as Hong Jun Sheng wrote new classics in 3 character poems for Chen Tai Ji.

--

So it really upto the teacher and the dedicated/talented students to take the things the way they both want.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 11-23-2006 at 06:42 PM.

1. 6 am to 7 am - 5 miles uphill running.
    2. 7 am - 8 am - breakfast.
    3. 8 am - 12 noon - heavy bag and weight equipment training.
    4. 12 noon - 1 pm - lunch break.
    5. 1 pm - 5 pm - Sanshou fights, wrestling, and ground fight.
    6. 5 pm - 7 pm - 2 men drills.
    7. 7 pm - 8 pm - dinner break.
    8. 8 pm - 10 pm - TCMA forms.
    9. 10 pm - go to bed with rope around your neck and legs (if you know what I mean).

10 years training like this could make anybody unbeatable. But do anybody know how will he arrange his training program?

Reply]
    I think a program like this would perpetually burn an athlete out, cause many needless over traininng injuries and over all slow progress. It would probably take 10 years to accomplish what everyone else could do in 6 by only training 4 to 6 hours a day max, 4-5 days a week.

You are only aloting maybe 8 hours of sleep here, no shower time. There is only 3 meals scheduled. Some one THAT athletically active will need at least 4, if not 5.

Personally, I think you would be better off with a 6 hour day, 4 *Maybe* 5 days a week, with a recovery day or two every 3rd, to 4th day.

7:00-8:00 Breakfast/personal time. Make sure meal is heavy on fruites, but also include some form of protine for mental concentraition and other brain functions (I know it's weird to say, but Fish would be the best source at this time).

8:00 -11:00Am Warmups (example - Light jog 10-20 minutes, + light basics etc..) Followed by Qi gong, forms and or Stance work, on even days, and 2 man work, drills and sparring on odd days.

11:00-1:00 Lunch, and rest so the athlete is properly digested before being active again.

1:00-4:00 Warm ups followed by conditioning, equipment training for strength (Weights, Locks and specialty resistance equipment like Rock poles), on even days, as well as Iron hand/body conditioning and flexiblity work after, on a daily basis . Odd days would be learning, and working new skills, drills, and light sparring, plus the daily Iron hand/body and flexibility.

Never go more than 2-3 days in a row without a recovery day where the athlete spends most of the day resting (or light activity ONLY) and eating lots of meat. Active training days the Athlete should eat more raw fruites, veggies, and rice for carbs. Meat should be eaten after the days workout, closer to bed so he is protine loaded while he rebuilds during sleep.

4:00 3rd meal

5:00 - 7:00 Light physical activity. Rest and relaxation for the evening, Reading, TV, Discussion/social time with other students etc... If there *Is* any class time, Only learning of theory, and concepts. Maybe a good time to learn bone setting, accupressure/puncture or herbal healing.

7:00 Dinner, shower, and bed by 10:00 at the latest, preferably sooner.

I prefer doing a 10 day cycle, with the 1st & 3rd day, and the 6th & 8th days being the same schedule, based on what the greatest needsof the Athlete are . Example, strength, and conditioning, or if a fight is comming up sparring and skills work. The 2nd, and 7th days would be the opposite. Example, If he has a fight comming up, those two days would be the strength & conditioning plus flexibility days, so he get 4 days of skill work per cycle to tune him in for the upcomming fight.

The 10 day cycle give 2 days off for rest, in between 3 days of training. I myself used to do a 9 day cycle with one day off inbetween each 3 days on, and the 2 days off before starting the cycle over. But I was younger then, and at almost 39 years old now, I need more recovery time, so i changed it to a 10 day cycle for that extra day to rest up.

If you do things like above, you will accomplish in 5-6 years, what traditionally took 10 due to planed recovery, rest & development time, and extra meals with focus on carb loading during times of activity, and protine loading during times of recovery (Give the body what it needs, when it needs it).
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 11-24-2006 at 05:48 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

RD's training schedule is much better.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    If your school is graduating students in a month, then

the school will be closed for business before long.

b/c the pool of students is depleted or turnover very fast.

--

I didn't say graduating after one month, but an average MMA guy with one or two months could beat a traditional guy with years of training. Did you see the first UFCs?

People with years of TKD, kung fu, etc., show up at MMA gyms and get schooled by noobs. Then they usually join the MMA gym. It happened to me.

oy.....vey

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I didn't say graduating after one month, but an average MMA guy with one or two months could beat a traditional guy with years of training. Did you see the first UFCs?

People with years of TKD, kung fu, etc., show up at MMA gyms and get schooled by noobs. Then they usually join the MMA gym. It happened to me.
    what if there is a 2 second on the ground rule or break/stop if it is on the ground?

and you only get points from punches (boxing), kicks (TKD) and throws?

aren't you wasting time to tumble on the ground, b/c you get zero points?

I have only attended 2 to 3 weeks training in a retreat up the mountain before.

We had 3 meals and a late nite snack.

2 hour lunch break I mean including 1 hour nap or rest time after lunch.

between 10 am to 2 pm are not good time for any physical things.

--

I have no idea about the effect of a prolonged intensive traning. I mean just practice and nothing else.

I do keep a daily practice schedule, but I also attend to other things in life, work, family, friends etc

--

Last edited by SPJ; 11-26-2006 at 09:32 PM.

between 10 am to 2 pm are not good time for any physical things.

Reply]
    Why not? I get my best workouts between those times.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    what if there is a 2 second on the ground rule or break/stop if it is on the ground?

and you only get points from punches (boxing), kicks (TKD) and throws?

aren't you wasting time to tumble on the ground, b/c you get zero points?

You're right, I forgot that actual combat involves points

Greetings..

But I can't help but wonder, what happens when the students complete 10 years of training and can still be beaten by an MMA guy with 1 month of training?
    Since we're wondering, i wonder if Dr. Yang intends to incorporate ground fighting in his curriculum.. wouldn't that be interesting! I hope Dr. Yang is farsighted enough to bring guest coaches in to expand his intended system to a well-rounded marital art..

MMA is a very successful and fight-tested discipline, but.. it suffers from the same constraints that CMA does.. rules!! Each perspective of the sport-fight game picks at the other from a rules based perspective.. at the end of the day, i expect my training to save my butt in the street, not get me a bunch of trophies or fame.. it is also noteworthy that several MMA events have resulted in stand-up fighters successfully avoiding the take-down.. heck, there are ground-fighters that lay down and beg the stand-up fighters to play their game, and that's embarassing to watch.. they should be balanced enough to stand or roll as the situation demands..

As usual, any reasonable conversation in a CMA forum about CMA ends up with MMA people telling everyone how their art is the best.. Certainly, MMA has pushed CMA to re-evaluate its approach, but.. like all things, there will be change, CMA will adapt.. MMA will adapt as well.. and, Martial Arts as a whole will benefit.. there is no "best" art.. there are cycles of dominance, adaptation and change.. I hope Dr. Yang's concept incorporates adaptation and change within TCMA principles.. that could be very interesting.. still, i think cautious optimism should be the attitude toward Dr. Yang's concept.. at least he's making an effort.. much easier to criticize the efforts of others that to put it out there yourself..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

heck, there are ground-fighters that lay down and beg the stand-up fighters to play their game, and that's embarassing to watch..

Reply]
    I have seen this too. I allways wondered why no one stomps these morons in the Nads...

For the Women:

+ = & a

I think it's funny how all the MMA elitists forget that points are awarded and scores are kept at all the MMA sporting events.

I wish I could remember the name of the young guy that gave an interview after his win explaining how he lost in the past because his opponents were doing things to score points while he was spending all his time trying to end the fight. He said he learned from that and now he knows how to play the game.

Last edited by Yao Sing; 11-27-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

The old Chinese timing system: one Shi Cheng is actually lasting 2 hours.

so 12-2 is not good for doing physical stuff.

10-12 is to be avoided, too. I would practice well into 11 am but after that I wound stop.

something to do with your Qi meridian of the day.

I duno the details.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

still, i think cautious optimism should be the attitude toward Dr. Yang's concept.. at least he's making an effort.. much easier to criticize the efforts of others that to put it out there yourself..

Be well..
    Agreed. I think that it really does not matter what would come out of it.

I simply like the idea of daily practice for 10 years or more with breaks here and there of course.

"diligence will make up shortcomings" (Qin Neng Bu Zuo).

"practices make perfect" "something good/refined will come out of proficiency" (Su Neng Shen Qiao).

If he is going to do this, I would like to see him offer camps, seminars and such for the general public, and make it possible for others to join the original group if some sort of requirements are met.

I myself would love to do a 2 week camping trip where I could do some primative camping, hiking, and daily Kung Fu.

For the Women:

+ = & a