Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Kung Fu Styles

Monkey Kung Fu Styles

I'm looking for information on monkey styles. If you have information about a monkey style(s), this is the place to share.

I do Tai Shing Pek Kwar. It is two styles combined together. Pek Kwar is known as the axe fist or arm swinging style. Tai Shing is known as the five monkey fist. There is only one grand master. It is Sigung Chan Sau Chung.

Interesting..............

I thought Tai Shing meant Great Sage.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I thought Tai Shing meant Great Sage.
    It does mean Great Sage (or something very close)

It is in reference to the mythical Monkey born out of a stone and to achieve the "title" Great Sage Equal to Heaven.

Ergo Tai Shing is in reference to the monkey sets.

Looking For Monkey Kung Fu styles

The Xia,
    Monkey stlye kung fu is very difficult to find as a pure system all by itself. Monkey styles and performances have been noted thruought Chinese martial art history. This is a small section of my Monkey History:

The first mention of "Monkey style" kung fu was in the Han dynasty (206 B.C. - 220 A.D.). During that time a martial artist named Tan, Chang-qing gave a demonstration of a monkey style while under the influence of alcohol. Also during this period a silk painting was found entitled "a bathing monkey calls", with pictures depicting a monkey style. Another type of monkey form was found in the period. This was created by a physician named Hua Ta. He healed the sick and the weak with breathing exercises and physical movements he called the 5 animal frolics. These 5 animals were the Tiger, Bear, Crane, Deer and the Monkey.

In the Song dynasty (960 A.D. - 1279 A.D.), Yan Ching added monkey techniques to his Mi Zhong Yi or Lost path style. The Great Emperor Tai Tsu created the Long Fist style (Northern Shaolin), and a monkey style. During the Yuan dynasty (1260 - 1380), Shaolin monk Bai, Yi-feng combined monkey style with 4 other arts to form what is still known today as Ng Chor Kuen or 5 Ancestors Fist.

In the Ming dynasty (1368 - 1644), Chinese army general Chi, Ji-guang mentioned monkey as contemporary style in his "New Book of Discipline". Another martial artist, Wang, Shi-xing wrote in his book "Journey to Song Mountain" : When I descended the mountain and returned to my lodge, the priests performed various martial arts to entertain me. Among them was a monkey style exponent who leaped and turned as though he was a real monkey. In 1564 Governor Zheng, Ruo-zengs wrote a whole chapter on the "The 36 Tactics of the Monkey style" in his book "Posting as Governor South of the Yangtze River.

During the evolution of the monkey style, many other kung fu systems incorporated monkey techniques into their style. In the early 1700's Shaolin master Wang Lang added the agile footwork of the monkey to create his Praying Mantis style. Most all Shaolin systems have at least one monkey form. Tai Chi Chuan has monkey movements named "Step back and repulse the monkey" and "White ape presents the fruit".

You can find the rest here if you wish:
    http://shaolininstitute.com/Angry%20...%20History.htm

Monkey style itself has been placed into the category of esoteric ! I think that most normal people get wierded out when you mention Monkey style. They think of scratching your ears and rolling on the ground. Even in China this style lost popularity during certain time periods. As a style loses popularity, they fall into the annals of history. However, seeing the greatness of the Monkey style, many systems absorbed monkey forms and techniques to keep it's part in their ethnic culture.

On the other hand, if you truly look around hard enough you can find Monkey systems still exist. They are just few and scattered.

I would suggest that you research carefully, ask all of the Chinese Kung Fu Sifu in your area if they have any Monkey forms or know if anyone is teaching them. I had to dig deep and I found forms on the net, I talked with a fellow kung fu Sifu and he knew of a few he had on VHS from a million years ago, Their is stuff to find out and you gotta have the right connection too.

One last note. I teach a small Monkey Stlye (not related to TSPK), if you ever need some help or more info you can email me:
    ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Greetings,

This thread.....looks........different.

mickey

Anyone else want to describe their monkey style?

You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    No, what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

This thread.....looks........different.

mickey

In the Song dynasty (960 A.D. - 1279 A.D.), Yan Ching added monkey techniques to his Mi Zhong Yi or Lost path style. The Great Emperor Tai Tsu created the Long Fist style (Northern Shaolin), and a monkey style.

Reply]
    It has allways been my understanding that Sung Tai Tzu practiced the Monkey style that already existed from 650 AD. He did not invent it. He included the footwork and some concepts in his Tai Tzu Chang Chuan form. Many Tai Tzu schools today still teach the Monkey style he practiced along side thier Tai Tzu.

During the Yuan dynasty (1260 - 1380), Shaolin monk Bai, Yi-feng combined monkey style with 4 other arts to form what is still known today as Ng Chor Kuen or 5 Ancestors Fist.

Reply]
    It was my understanding that this is when the Southern Tai Tzu was emerging in the public after haveing been originally developed in the later Sung dynasty (1127 Ad to 1279 AD). Five Anscestors Fist came much later in the Ching (1700's)

Comments anyone?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Royal Dragon

Thank you for the history lesson. I thought my research was thorough but, I might be mistaken. My point was only help The Xia with his endevor to find info on monkey styles. You input has made me rethink my research, I must go back and check further.
    again thank you

Nsfw

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! LOL! ROFL!!