Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Kung Fu Styles

1. Friends,
    A few posters here have PMed me seeking information about the Monkey style that I have practiced for nearly thirty of my thirty-eight years in the martial arts.
    Here is some basic information from our student handbook:

Nu Hou Quan 怒 猴 拳

Nu Hou Quan is Mandarin Chinese and translates as, “Angry Monkey Fist”.
    It is a combination of three Chinese fighting methods:
    北 少 林 - Northern Shaolin Fundamentals,
    地 躺 - Di Tang Ground Fighting Techniques,
    猴 拳 - Monkey Fist Theories.

Empty Hand Forms

Nu Hou Quan is comprised of three fist sets:
    怒 猴 出 洞 - Angry Monkey Exits the Cave
    怕 猴 偷 桃 - Frightened Monkey Steals the Peach
    詼 猴 赴 宴 - Capricious Monkey Attends the Feast
    Each set incorporates the most important theories of Angry Monkey Fist.

Fighting Theories

Nu Hou Quan is built on three fighting theories:

近 遠 - Near & Far
    天 地 - Heaven & Earth
    四 手 - Four Hands

Monkey Mimicking - vs.- Combat Techniques

Unlike modern Wu Shu or many of the Monkey forms seen online or on video, the Nu Hou Quan forms have only a small amount of Monkey mimicking. Mimicking is sprinkled sparingly through the monkey forms. Nu Hou Quan is about 5% monkey mimicking and 95% fighting techniques based on monkey movement theories.

Weapon Sets
    Nu Hou Quan incorporates several traditional Northern Shaolin weapons, plus the Iron Ring.

Instructors
    Though several others have studied this art over the years, at this time there are only three persons of our lineage teaching this stlye, Richard A. Tolson, Gino Belfiore and Alan Cicco.

Regards,
    Richard
    Last edited by MonkeyKingUSA; 11-29-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKingUSA View Post
    Friends,
    A few posters here have PMed me seeking information about the Monkey style that I have practiced for nearly thirty of my thirty-eight years in the martial arts.
    Here is some basic information from our student handbook:

Nu Hou Quan 怒 猴 拳

Nu Hou Quan is Mandarin Chinese and translates as, “Angry Monkey Fist”.
    It is a combination of three Chinese fighting methods:
    北 少 林 - Northern Shaolin Fundamentals,
    地 躺 - Di Tang Ground Fighting Techniques,
    猴 拳 - Monkey Fist Theories.

Empty Hand Forms

Nu Hou Quan is comprised of three fist sets:
    怒 猴 出 洞 - Angry Monkey Exits the Cave
    怕 猴 偷 桃 - Frightened Monkey Steals the Peach
    詼 猴 赴 宴 - Capricious Monkey Attends the Feast
    Each set incorporates the most important theories of Angry Monkey Fist.

Fighting Theories

Nu Hou Quan is built on three fighting theories:

近 遠 - Near & Far
    天 地 - Heaven & Earth
    四 手 - Four Hands

Monkey Mimicking - vs.- Combat Techniques

Unlike modern Wu Shu or many of the Monkey forms seen online or on video, the Nu Hou Quan forms have only a small amount of Monkey mimicking. Mimicking is sprinkled sparingly through the monkey forms. Nu Hou Quan is about 5% monkey mimicking and 95% fighting techniques based on monkey movement theories.

Weapon Sets
    Nu Hou Quan incorporates several traditional Northern Shaolin weapons, plus the Iron Ring.

Instructors
    Though several others have studied this art over the years, at this time there are only three persons of our lineage teaching this stlye, Richard A. Tolson, Gino Belfiore and Alan Cicco.

Regards,
    Richard
    What is the history of theis style?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    What is the history of theis style?
    The history I was given, I believe to be only a legend. So there is no point going in to it. If I do not believe it, there is no point in trying to analyze it, argue about it, or defend it. I have never been interested in being a historian, just a competent martial artist.
    The style stands on its efficacy. Which we are each respectfully willing and able to demonstrate to anyone interested.

What is the lineage.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    What is the lineage.
    That is tied in with the history. If I don't trust the history, it would be reasonable to assume that I don't put much faith in the "lineage" either.
    In, I believe, three or four private messages you asked me to share about our style. The Xia also asked me to post information. So, in good faith I did.
    The information I posted is the information given to students. We do not put any emphasis on history or lineage as you saw from my post that you quoted, only form and technique.
    Like many Chinese arts we have an unverifiable history and lineage. Unlike most styles we are honest about it and do not try to win students through fairytales.
    Judge us only on our ability. It is all we claim.
    I was reticent to post any information because I have seen too many flame wars at this site. This is the last post where I will discuss history or lineage.
    However, if you want to talk techniques or theories, I will be happy to share what I have learned.

MonkeyKingUSA

Recent figures in your lineage should have verifiable information about them (your sifu, sigung, and si-tai-gung). As for the rest, you can still share it with us.

Weapon Sets

Regards,
    Richard
    Whats the iron ring???

8. Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Whats the iron ring???
    The Iron Ring in Nu Hou Quan
    The iron ring, as the name implies, is a ring made of iron. The size varies according to the practitioner. A practitioner's ring should be able to slide freely over their shoulders. Thus the ring of a slight adult will be smaller than the ring of a barrel chested adult. As an example, my ring is 33 1/2 inches in diameter. My son's ring is only 18 inches in diameter.
    The ring is used for blocking, locking, striking, sweeping and throwing techniques.

monkey king pm me info plz ty :]

That is tied in with the history. If I don't trust the history, it would be reasonable to assume that I don't put much faith in the "lineage" either.
    In, I believe, three or four private messages you asked me to share about our style. The Xia also asked me to post information. So, in good faith I did.
    The information I posted is the information given to students. We do not put any emphasis on history or lineage as you saw from my post that you quoted, only form and technique.
    Like many Chinese arts we have an unverifiable history and lineage. Unlike most styles we are honest about it and do not try to win students through fairytales.
    Judge us only on our ability. It is all we claim.
    I was reticent to post any information because I have seen too many flame wars at this site. This is the last post where I will discuss history or lineage.
    However, if you want to talk techniques or theories, I will be happy to share what I have learned.

Ok. Who were your sifu and sigung?
    Last edited by Flying-Monkey; 11-30-2006 at 03:22 PM.

The Iron Ring in Nu Hou Quan
    The iron ring, as the name implies, is a ring made of iron. The size varies according to the practitioner. A practitioner's ring should be able to slide freely over their shoulders. Thus the ring of a slight adult will be smaller than the ring of a barrel chested adult. As an example, my ring is 33 1/2 inches in diameter. My son's ring is only 18 inches in diameter.
    The ring is used for blocking, locking, striking, sweeping and throwing techniques.
    Interesting -never heard of it before but sounds cool

12. Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Interesting -never heard of it before but sounds cool
    I think the weapon is more common in China than in the US.
    It is a fun set. It is also one of the last sets learned in our style.

Question MonkeyKingUSA

Who is your sifu and sigung?

I have also heard of a southern monkey style. Does anybody know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

Ginosifu and monkeykingusa, is your style just a combination of shaolin kung fu, seven star mantis, and fu jow pai? I got this impression from the description of the angry monkey video series on Ginosifus site. However, Monkey king Usa's description sounds like there may be more to the style than just aspects of those three arts. Thanks in advance.