Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: internet, website question

I run a phpBB and a YaBB board.

The phpBB runs a lot faster, but man does it get buggy quick. Plus, I have some cross-browser issues with some of the add-on mods that don't work the same in Firefox as they do in IE.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-01-2006 at 08:02 AM.

i have both boards as well.

don't get too many bugs in the phpbb though.
    what are you getting mk?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mostly, the admin controls get buggy, like setting up rank titles and groups, etc...

Also, I installed an image re-size mod that shrinks embedded images to 650 pixels so they don't blow out my layout, but it doesn't work in every browser, or even every version of IE.

groups are created in the admin but managed by the group admin (main moderator) which is in the functions that are seperate from the admin panel.

I found that out by digging around.

but yeah, it can get a bit clunky.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have had issues writing for IE and Firefox as well. They just don't read HTML the same way.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I design for Firefox, because if a site looks good Firefox it will most likely work similarly IE; however, the converse is almost never true. You can fudge a lot in IE (especially with CSS) that other browsers just won't let you get awat with.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Yes, thanks, That is a good idea.

I was poking aorund that site you linked to above. Minimum bid on my old URL is $200.00

Isn't that sick?
    Bummer. I'm not a fan of those who buy domains by the buttload and then sit on them, depriving everyone, simply for a chance to make a sale (which most do not).

Yeah, register your new domains at GoDaddy.com for $9.20 a year or at least don't pay more than $10 for a domain name, unless you're getting some package deal with a hosting plan as well.

I do NOT like register.com, who charges a whopping $35 for either one or two years: Either way it's too much. They're just capitalizing off their name and, worse in my book, they send out snail-mail that looks like a bill in an attempt to con the unwary into re-registering with them.

As far as hosting is concerned, I'm about to move to http://3ix.org/, where it's a mere $1 a month for 100 MB of space and 10GB of traffic and there's several other good plans. The accounts there all run cpanel and Fantastico, which has everything you need in user-friendly form.

I currently host at lucidityhosting.com, which is like $5 a month per site, and they're good but $5 adds up quickly, so that's why I'm switching to 3ix.org's 5-site plan for $5 a month.

I can also recommend http://www.netfirms.com, where they do a package deal with your domain registration. I used them a long time ago and they're excellent but I don't know what their prices are these days.

And remember, when you're out there comparing hosts, make sure they're running some form of Unix on their servers (running Microsoft on your servers will increase the likelihood of a successful hack).

?

IIS servers are as secure or more secure than apache servers.
    yes microsoft gets targeted by hackers, but that's because of their ubiquity.

unix, or apache servers are gnu and every geek in geekdom knows the ins and outs of an apache server.

Besides, security is something you will have to pay more to get a lot of.

you'll get 5 9's out of a IIS server more often than an apache server. But they are more expensive to host on. that would be the prohibitive cost factor for me.

register.com offers starter packages including registration of your domain and hosting for less than 6 bucks a month. Not that im propping them, but I think your info is outdated a little there shaolin girl.

It's highly competitive these days and unless you want a country specific suffix, domains of .net ,org .com . biz .tv are pretty cheap no matter where you go.

rd is the kind of zero dollar or low dollar customer who can shop around a bit.
    Do your due dilligence on really cheap offers and fully understand what you're getting before you get it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My last site was $35.00 a year. I was more concerned with one that I could run a forum on.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

RD,
    if you still struggling with hosting, I can help. My friend owns a hosting company with servers in Germany. His prices are also much better than those of what you and everyone else has mentioned, and with more value and support. You'd also be able to run a forum. These days they use Drupal for forums, but best to send me a pm if you are still interested.

We can register the domain, srt up the hosting and everything for you at once time.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

You own the url. And you can use any hosting company that you want. Also it is wise to backup your site often.