Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Kung-Fu people so sensitive?

Why are Kung-Fu people so sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I am an instructor level in Hung Ga, meaning I learned each of the basic sets (Gung Jih Fook Fu, Fu Hok, Sahp Yihng, Tit Sin). I spent ONE YEAR doing each set because that is the way my tradition did it. Before that started I did ONE YEAR of just basics, the first 4 months JUST STANCES....

Why does a simple quote like this make Kung-Fu guys get defensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    No beef with you LKFMDC, but I might point out, 5 years of Hung is just scratching the surface of that system, unless yours is much smaller than the one I learned. I dont even know if someone could do half the stuff in TSK at that point, even if they were practicing full time. Not saying you dont have skill or perspective, but Hung is a large system.
    Anyone else notice this?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Actually Jay, don't make anything of it, we didn't

Golden said, there is more to HG than just those forms. I AGREED. I actually think you can study anything an entire lifetime and still learn more from it...

It was a simple statement, I had reached a certain level. It didn't make me grand high exhalted poo bah of the universe, but I certainly could teach it at that point.

Golden and I are cool, even exchanged a few PM's
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Funny thing is that I don't see a problem with either statement. Both are true.

You can instruct after 5 years and you are only scratching the surface of your training at that point too.

In Karate, (traditionally)you get a 1st degree BB in five years. Doesn't mean much more than you are now finally a serious student.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Funny thing is that I don't see a problem with either statement. Both are true.

You can instruct after 5 years and you are only scratching the surface of your training at that point too.
    Nicely put, better than my mumbling

BOTH are true... which is what Golden and I agreed when we chatted
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I've been with my Sifu for over five years and have learned three core hand sets and instruct the basics class. I don't see anything wrong with that...I have an instructor certificate but that doesn't mean I'm the master, or that I have done anything more than scratched the surface. I think teaching is a good thing to be allowed to do as it gives you a different perspective (oh patience, how I lack it!), and I find it helps me understand things more.
    I am sure that there are some people who after five or six years think they have it all down pat, but they are just kidding themselves and padding their ego.
    A unique snowflake

I'd like to pad my ego. I can also use some of that padding for my bed.

If you learn for 5 years and keep practicing, then you've learned for 5 years and kept practicing. lol.

Instructing is a continuation of your own learning process really and on top of that, I believe it has been said that "the teacher who is not also a student is neither".

It's very important to keep reaching out and keep looking for what you can add to what you have to bring it to a more complete way.

my last five years have been reaching and stretching the boundaries on what I already had. It's an interesting part of the journey.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

One time on the old KFO forum I managed to start both an SPM AND a Bak Mei flame war, with a post entitled "why do shorthand guys argue so much?"
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Go drop a "why is it that..." bomb in the wc forum. That always get's em riled up.

p.s rogue made me post this.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In reality, if you're better than someone you teach them. If they're better than you you learn from them. Usually both happen at the same time. All across America, you can go to any MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, or BJJ gym and see this in action. The CMA still try to perpetuate outdated Confucion virtues and it harms the arts in so many ways.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Its all that sensitivy training we do, we cant help it

In reality, if you're better than someone you teach them. If they're better than you you learn from them. Usually both happen at the same time. All across America, you can go to any MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, or BJJ gym and see this in action. The CMA still try to perpetuate outdated Confucion virtues and it harms the arts in so many ways.
    When Mike Fowler began BJJ, I was teaching him. About a year and a half later, he was teaching me.

Under a lot of TCMA systems, I am his "senior." This is an untenable situation. I'm good, but Mike made all the choices and sacrifices you have to make to become world-class.

Fortunately, BJJ has a belt system that still works so it became immaterial when he got promoted to brown belt well ahead of me.

Just trying to illustrate an example of what WD is talking about.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Uh, Confucius never said "the teacher only teaches and the student only learns." Quite the opposite, in fact. He said "when two men walk side by side, a teacher of mine must be there" (that is, I'm sure I can learn something from one of them even if I'm more knowledgeable in some areas). Confucius is even praised for having studied with a teacher of lower ability than himself, just to learn something new.

Even the term "tudi" implies that the disciple is more like a little brother than a son. Therefore, like an older brother, the shifu guides the tudi, but the shifu can still learn a thing or two from the tudi from time to time.

What is an important Confucian concept is giving a lot of respect to your teachers, but I don't think that's outdated, is it? I'm sure some teachers abuse this notion to put themselves on a pedestal, but it's not Confucius's fault.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

I'm sensitive because it makes me SEXY!!!!
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Onyami, I'm talking about the general Confucian culture that exists in China even today. I'm not speaking about his philosophical teaching. If you've ever spent time around the Chinese, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

MP, I was talking with Miguel on the phone today. I'm sending him my kids this summer to learn BJJ. We were talking about how kids don't learn the subs in Judo until they're older, and he made a comment to the effect of, "Great. We'll teach the boys subs, but they have to teach us Judo."
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon