Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A young Yu Hai performs his mantis form

A young Yu Hai performs his mantis form

Greetings,

Since Yu Hai originated this form, it is really nice to see him perform it in his prime. He has very strong intention and his form is more martial than those who merely copied his moves in later years. I remember sitting through Nan Bei Shaolin twice just to see him perform this form.

Found on Youtube, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d2Fk...elated&search=

mickey

Mickey, can you tell me more about Yu Hai. I have enjoyed this version of Mantis for a long time now. His martial intent is evident.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Yu Hai

Yu Hai starred in the Shaolin Temple movies with Jet Li and Yu Cheng Hui. Great Mantis Guy (TJMH i think) as I really like the way he moves. In the Shaolin Temple movie, when the monks are doing that group training sequence, he is doing Zhai Yao Yi Lu in the background at a walk through pace. I guess the director said, "alright we just need some extra footage, so just do what forms you like". I think he also did some chen with Hong Jun Sheng but I may be mistaken.

Looks very Wushu to me.... care to comment?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Greetings,

yu shan:

I do not know much about Yu Hai off hand. I do remember that he was listed in the mantis cave a few years ago. I remember reading in Black Belt magazine that he developed this form with emphasis on a particular mantis move, that of tun tu (swallow and spit or regurgitate). It was my hope that he would develop a series of forms, a la tan tui, that would serve to provide the practitioner with a real working knowledge of the praying mantis style, without having to learn a crapload of forms. This was before I ever heard of the essential forms of the this style. With regard to this form, I remember reading that it was not too well received by the traditional mantis practitioners on the Mainland.

I think he represents the first generation of "wushu" trained athletes in Mainland China.

If memory serves correctly he specialized in two weapons: the monk spade and the staff.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 12-03-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Here's more info on Yu Hai....

http://www.brns.com/hkactors/pages/page47.html

mickey

Yu Hai is in the Seven Star lineage under Lin Jing Shan and a kung fu brother of Yu Tian Cheng, Yu Tian Lu, Zhong Lian Bao ... along the same generation as these teachers.

He is famous for working with the early creation of modern wushu on the mantis forms.

I think it's North and South Shaolin, the third one, where Yu Hai and Jet Li do their ultra low mantis shuffling around the bad guy at the end, complete with insect eye imitations.

I like Jet Li but watching the first Shaolin Temple movie, a load of dancing, on the actual site, including the tower forest. Like some kind of blasphemy. Shouldn't have been allowed.

my sifu learned this form from hu janqiang who was also in that movie, along with kids from shaolin and shaolin north and south. the form is really nice. a lot of those older wushu players know traditional and studied traditional. my kung fu brother knows this form too, i never had the chance to learn it.

edit*
    i just uploaded a monkey staff video i had from i think the same video.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 12-05-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Watched the clip. Hard to see if it's really Yu Hai or not. That's beside the point. It's quite painful to think that the word "Mantis", meaning Mantis Kung Fu, can be tagged onto that contemporary dance routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjZVdixW8UM

here is the monkey clip. i talked about

if you look at a lot of hte old early mid 80's and 70's wushu, it was all traditional. another player who isnt educated a lot of those original wushu players had heavy and extensive training in traditional too.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfenix View Post
    Yu Hai starred in the Shaolin Temple movies with Jet Li and Yu Cheng Hui. Great Mantis Guy (TJMH i think) as I really like the way he moves. In the Shaolin Temple movie, when the monks are doing that group training sequence, he is doing Zhai Yao Yi Lu in the background at a walk through pace. I guess the director said, "alright we just need some extra footage, so just do what forms you like". I think he also did some chen with Hong Jun Sheng but I may be mistaken.

the director of the movie is a cool guy. his taichi is good. and he can sink some 3's in basketball too.

That's clearly Yu Hai

Yu Hai is on the cover of the next issue, our Jan/Feb 2007 issue, which should be hitting the newsstands in the next week or so. Before you judge him as 'just contemporary wushu' you should read my cover story on him. There's a lot more to Yu Hai. There's a lot more to any of the founding fathers of wushu. All the first generation people were brought up traditionally and then selected to create this new art. They all have deep roots. Among them, Yu Hai is particularly interesting because he ended up rejecting the whole wushu scene for almost a decade. Despite being a major engineer of wushu, many of his more practical innovations have been discarded. Now in his fifties, he's returned to his traditional practice. You'll have to check out the article.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjZVdixW8UM

here is the monkey clip. i talked about

if you look at a lot of hte old early mid 80's and 70's wushu, it was all traditional. another player who isnt educated a lot of those original wushu players had heavy and extensive training in traditional too.

This actually looks very impressive with the moves he made...traditional or not. Plus wushu ain't all that bad...just look at the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by jigahus View Post
    This actually looks very impressive with the moves he made...traditional or not. Plus wushu ain't all that bad...just look at the ladies.
    werd. oh yes the ladies we all luv em :P

Very entertaining to watch, but also worlds apart from the perspective of traditional Seven Star execution. Shaolinlueb, what system of mantis do you study?