Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A young Yu Hai performs his mantis form

Depends on how broad a range of styles the division is. Judges in a "northern kungfu" or just "soft style" division (if in one of those open karate tournaments), aren't going to know whether every form is a traditional form and a good judge is going to base their scores on the quality of the person doing the form rather than the choreography of the form itself. If a guy has better power, intent, speed, stance work, transitions, etc. than another person then it shouldn't matter whether the form is 10 or 100 years old. The modern mantis form is a heck of a lot less flashy than many other forms out there. Less jumping around than some traditional styles.

If there's a modern wushu division that allows non chang quan/nan quan forms, or if it's a traditional mantis only division then of course it's a different story since it's a specific modern wushu competition form. Though, it's hard to get upset when the average Wah Lum competition form I've seen had more non traditional flash added in than Yui Hai's form. Same goes for a number of other traditionalists out there.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Depends on how broad a range of styles the division is. Judges in a "northern kungfu" or just "soft style" division (if in one of those open karate tournaments), aren't going to know whether every form is a traditional form and a good judge is going to base their scores on the quality of the person doing the form rather than the choreography of the form itself. If a guy has better power, intent, speed, stance work, transitions, etc. than another person then it shouldn't matter whether the form is 10 or 100 years old. The modern mantis form is a heck of a lot less flashy than many other forms out there. Less jumping around than some traditional styles.

If there's a modern wushu division that allows non chang quan/nan quan forms, or if it's a traditional mantis only division then of course it's a different story since it's a specific modern wushu competition form. Though, it's hard to get upset when the average Wah Lum competition form I've seen had more non traditional flash added in than Yui Hai's form. Same goes for a number of other traditionalists out there.

i read the other replies on the page. if anyone knows the reputation of the baltimore tournament back in teh day. it was bigger then tjl and sometimes funner. dont be mad, just train harder. the person may be way better. like i said i need to find some clips of it performed. once i do get one i will post it up. all i can find is clips of this mantis form performed flashy,m so i can see where you guys are coming from.

i love traditional mantis. i was watching the 7* guys in awe at tjl. im not trying to put down mantis style at all. eagle claw and mantis share some same grabs and such. i think this is what i was coming off as., and i dont want too. one day i want to learn some traditional 7*.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 12-11-2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Shaolinliueb,

I talked to you a couple years back over PM and you told me that your school did not teach much traditional (only bits and pieces), but that you were trying to get your teacher to start teaching more. Sounded to me like you yourself were teaching purely modern. What is the actual story with you and your school?

BBK

Our latest cover story

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by bungbukuen View Post
    Shaolinliueb,

I talked to you a couple years back over PM and you told me that your school did not teach much traditional (only bits and pieces), but that you were trying to get your teacher to start teaching more. Sounded to me like you yourself were teaching purely modern. What is the actual story with you and your school?

BBK
    bbk i remember, i was a wee lad and confused back then. i had a conversation with my sifu about it actually. we are a traditional school. we dont do any modern wushu for hand sets other then 1st gen eagle, mantis, snake, and drunken. all our weapons are influenced by the first generation wushu forms that came out. they arent persay the actual ones. i tried to find videos of them and i can't. I know my sifu learned them from Hu Jianqiang who was in the first 3 shaolin temple movies with jet li. he was an old school wushu player too and learned the mantis form directly from yu hai.
    one staff form i know is an old chin woo form, i saw the lee koon hung people do the same staff and asked joe keit about it. we do some of the wushu basics,i see a lot of traditional schools doing them these days cause well, they're good. all our hand sets are either traditional long fist, traditional shaolin, or traditional eagle claw. and i can trace them back if needed to provide proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-7lYXhJbg around 7:20 i perform and then my kung fu brother performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I've seen Lueby's Eagle Claw at Taiji Legacy. It's good stuff.

Summer 2019

Praying Mantis Magic
    Top Pro Tips for Improving Your Mantis Game
    By Emilio Alpanseque

SUMMER 2019
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart