Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blog of the one armed bandit

blog of the one armed bandit

ok here goes. right at the beginning of march i screwed my shoulder up, diagnosis suggests damaged cartilage and may need operating. Ive realised a shoulder is quite an important joint and can cut out like 90% of what i do training wise. problem is thats turned me into a bum as while im more motivated than ever ive not been good especially keeping up fitness or working kicks, footwork etc since im not going to mma or wing chun classes to get me going.

luckily just after i got done chilling watching a dvd last night i got an email from a good friend and inspiration, telling me to get off my ass and train what i can. so i thought hmmm ill start a training blog to force me into action. ill start from tuesday as it makes me sound better

ps if anyone actually reads this if you see a gap for more than a day or two heckle me!

tuesday
    ======

warm up, 300 star jumps, 2 rounds of shadow boxing (no jabs or left hooks etc, lots of kneeees)

3x5 min rounds (mma format)
    1st round :
    1 min squat jumps
    1 min crunches
    1 min back raises
    1 min back arches (to left and right)
    1 min skip knees

2nd round:
    sprint 10secs jog 10secs for 5 mins.

3rd rounds :
    same as 2nd.

1 min rest interval. wanted to die/puke about halfway through 3rd round. those sprints are hell. got blistered feet as did it all barefoot and my feet have gone soft from not training. also i just reread the instructions i worked off and realised 3rd round was supposed to be the same as 1st not the 2nd. that would have been easier...

then some more crunches etc.
    done my shoulder rehab exercises with thera band. 3 sets 10 reps of 3 diff exersises.

wednsday
    =======
    chilled watching "dead mans shoes", got motivational email, decided to bust a last minute late night workout

circuit :

10 reps external rotation with theraband for rotor cuff
    10 reps delt raise theraband
    10 reps bow and arrow pull x each arm.

those may not be the right names for exercises im bad with names

20 crunches on ball
    20 back arches left and right
    20 side bends holding 16kg. felt a bit dodgy holding that much weight with left arm even though its just hanging there
    20 lying trunk rotations legs out straight at 90degrees.

that whole lot 3 times through.

got to sleep late after that lot, so woke up late, now late for work...

ps dead mans shoes is a brilliant film. most realistic view of what life in england is like ive seen.

i used to know a guy named drew who was called the one legged bandit.

he was kind of a ****. he'd grab little kids and rub his stump on them to gross them out.
    where's my beer?

Thursday
    =======

Quick workout on a break :

bw squats to warm up, then one leg squats:

5 sets of 5 left then 5 right

done it straight hardly any rest.

Gunneddown,
    nice, at least he had a sense of humor.

also, anyone feel free to give me some ideas for armless workouts. im also rehabbing a slight hip injury from thai kicks.

this will be a great time for you to investigate kicking arts and weapon sparring [ long range stuff ] and get real good at bridging the gap , also your slips and footwork

do round were guy just fire jabs at you and work your timing slipping moving in and out giver them a shoulder bump , then start to intercept them with low line kicks ,,, since you can't really follow up with your hand work you will develop the ability to kick and slip . [ study Savate footwork ] kick from motion and since your left is still good set up kicks with the jab and slip out .

just play tag for a while get your timing down before you start putting any power in .

you can never spend enough time on good body mechanics and footwork ,,people often neglect this just for the rush of a power shot .

start swimming [ low impact and still trains your body , run sprints , soo much you can now do ,,,,make it a blessing not a curse

and kick my ass next time we see each other ,,,,cuz if your fat and lazy and feeling sorry for yourself ,,, i will kick yours !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

ernie yup man your right. its my left shoulder thats out not the right so no jab or lead shoulder etc otherwise id have been boxing already... swimmings out too...

Thursday
    ======

wing chun, worked footwork ran through a bit of 3rd form. then worked through first 2 forms slowly working stuff out shoulder mechanics body connection etc

Friday
    ====

had a play around workout. experimented with a load of stuff. did some overhead lifts with my good arm. kept the reps low as i dont want to imbalance too much. one arm military press standing on one leg for stability balance etc. did some body flow, stretching, experimenting with weights to see what i can hold with my bad arm etc for working whole body.

also im doing my shoulder rehab exercises every day between 2 and 5 sets of 10 reps through out the day.

guess what big guy ,,,,you can use the other arm to jab hook ,cross ,,,etc,, as well
    one thing that wing Chun should give you is equal use of both arms and lead postures ,,,, i prefer fighting south paw even though I'm not a lefty but i can just switch back no problem i always spar from as many different ''reads'' as possible

get to work !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Saturday
    =======
    training in the park :

300 star jump warm up, loosen up
    2x5 minute rounds (1min rest interval) shadow boxing no arms. lots of body movement footwork knees kicks last 30-40secs of each round thai skip knees.
    1x5 minute round just doing footwork southpaw. felt goofy feet kept drifting in line.

1 min rest then circuit :
    10sec sprint
    20sec jumping squats
    10sec sprint
    20sec crunches
    10sec sprint
    etc with back extn, back arch, lying leg twist thing, skip knees. lose average 10 secs per exercise to slow down from sprint, get into position, get up ready to sprint etc, so that takes it up to about 5 minutes for the whole lot.

that was fkin hard. nearly didnt make it through. some of the sprints were a bit lame and trying to get your breath back while doing ab work is hard.

1 min rest, next round : 5 minutes of
    10 secs sprint
    20 secs jog back to start line
    10 secs sprint...

threw up half way through that round. got my breath back and the taste out of my mouth, stretched off and went home. i think i need to chill a little bit and build up.

Ernie,

yeah doing wing chun i tend to move from flat to southpaw (sure you can guess why) but mma or thai i work left lead. i tried some mma footwork southpaw above, basic shuffles left right back forward circle step+jab, slips etc felt goofy as hell but ill work on it.

ps dude big guy .... gonna get fat .... not in a million years, im skin and bone...

Sunday
    ======

5x5 pistols. 5 left 5 right then next set. + a 5kg plate.

2x10 bulgarian squats left, right
    2x20 lunges
    2x10 sumo squats holding 16kg

then lots of bodyflow stretching hip work etc

legs dead after this lot. legs shaking doing wing chun forms afterwards

the reason im doing all that lot btw is i cant do any heavy weight work as deadlifts, squats etc all involve putting stress on shoulders, so im working my way up with 1leg squats and doing some other strength work round my hips.

Monday
    =====

Did a load of shoulder work with about 10lb dumbell.

multiple sets of 10 of :
    Arnold presses
    Bent rows
    Bent over flys
    L-lateral raises.
    External rotation (sitting, lying, standing with band)

then L-Lateral raises+External rotation+Press (3 point something this is called). Didnt go back down the same way as it was causing a click so went back like a reverse arnold press.

Very light weight + going very slow and careful doesnt hurt and gets things moving. Made my shoulders sore without real pain so im happy

Tuesday
    ======

mma : warm up star jumps, loosen up

3x5 min rounds shadow boxing lots of knees, kicks, footwork body movement

1st round :

1 min each of
    squat jumps
    crunches
    back extensions
    back arches
    thai skip knees

2nd round :
    sprint 10secs jog 20secs for 5 mins

3rd round same as 1st

1 min rest between rounds

did some neck work, stretching.

Wednesday
    ========

shoulder workout with dbells
    3x10 of arnold press, L-lateral raise, Bent over db row

dropped the weight and did a few sets of bent over flys

then did external rotation sets with elbow in different positions.

Thursday
    =======
    wing chun footwork, some mma/thai footwork southpaw.

Friday
    ====
    lunges
    3x10 squats with 2x10kg dumbells. wide stance
    3x10 arnold press v.slow and careful
    3x10 bent over rows. shoulder started clunking so switched back to theraband
    3x10 L-lateral raise then external rotation

Saturday
    ======
    got the drill out and fixed bracket to the wall to hang new second hand punch bag from then did a couple of rounds of thai kicks , threw some elbows from my good arm.

Sunday
    =====
    up early and off to seni.

after i got back did a shoulder workout. 3x10 of :
    arnold press
    L-lateral raise + rotation
    bent over flys (dont go pop like rows do)

Monday
    ======
    was planning on kicking the bag but rain cancelled play. bw lunges, ab work, lying rotations, bodyflow, stretching.

Tuesday
    ======

mma warm up, rounds of shadow boxing with lots of kicks and knees. did some thai boxing drills feinting the jab. then circuit :

round 1, 1 min of each : jumping squats, crunches, back extn, back arch, skip knees.
    round 2, 5 mins of jog 10secs, sprint 10secs
    round 3 same as 1st

1min rest between rounds.

then stretching.

wendsday
    =======
    mma warm up.
    2 rounds of shadow boxing no hands.
    about 10 rounds on the heavy bag working :
    thai round kick rear
    thai round kick lead lead both stepping and switching footwork. going slow with that.
    front kicks lead and rear
    kicking combos + shin blocks and footwork etc.
    threw some nice rear elbows too and played with body shots a bit.
    stretching

thursday
    ======
    wing chun footwork. using adduction/hip stuff for active retreat step + knife step

friday
    ====
    mma warmup.
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    rounds on the heavy bag. lost count after about 4 and drifted into working technique on kicks.

my lead round kick sucks. im better at the switch-kick than step and kick, but either way i cant get the pivot on the supporting foot right. also i wave my guard hand around a little bit for no reason. that and it has no power.

saturday
    ======

shoulder weight work.
    arnold press
    L-lateral raises
    bent over rows

****ed off. went to do 3x10 for each but shoulder was feeling funny. new kind of funny not really pain or the usual clunking, so backed off the weight and didnt stay strict with sets or reps.

body flow hip stuff. need to expand my repetoir also get a bigger area +decent mat. carpet burns suck.

sunday
    =====
    workout 1.

mma warmup
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    sprints. 10s sprint 20s jog back. started gagging so rested for a minute or two. then started again... repeat 2x
    dont know why i couldnt make the 5 min rounds. think i was sprinting harder than usual.

workout 2.

30 mins on the heavy bag. im brewing a really mean rear elbow . more work on kicks and wore knee pads so lots of knees. canvas bag might have been a bad move, i now have a nasty graze/bruise thing on my lead leg and a grazed up elbow, shuold heal by next time

might get time for some core work later...