Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Practical Broadswords ?

excuse me....

are these full or half tang??? The " authentic "chinese swords they have been selling for years( everywhere) have had no tang and had a thin metal pin through the handle and a nut on the end. I find it hard to believe that this is the traditional way to make these swords.

I bought one that was " combat steel " and struck a stack of bamboo with it and it broke at the top of the handle underneath the hand guard.

What's up with that? especially considering how much they charge for them.

BTW I know that this is not the way they were made in the past.

if its hanwei i believe all (at least majority) their swords are full tang.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    if its hanwei i believe all (at least majority) their swords are full tang.
    so the steel goes from the pummel to the tip, one piece?? not some cut off at the guard and then some thin steel dowel with a wingnut on the end??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    so the steel goes from the pummel to the tip, one piece?? not some cut off at the guard and then some thin steel dowel with a wingnut on the end??
    thats correct. Personally, I only have one Hanwei blade (which I really enjoy). It should be noted this is a katana however. The blade I own has a 11 1/2 inch tsuka(handle) the tang is double pegged at i believe 7 or 8 inches long. Hanwei blades are very practicle and 'battle ready'. Traditional down to the rayskin on the tsuka.

My old roomate had a chinese broadsword, as well as a pudao (hanwei forged). Both impressed upon me the same traditional practicality.

Here is a link to the katana I own. After reading that I realized they wrap that one in cloth, where as my tsuka is wrapped with leather. Which I like more than cotton.

http://bugei.com/product_1306_detailed.htm
    Last edited by Lucas; 05-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

here is another link to a picture showing the area you had in question, where the tsuba(guard) fits into place.

You can see it is all one piece. hanwei blades are definately designed to be used.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/im...ical_pro13.jpg

Thanks!!

That's major cool!! I will call the company. All of the swordmakers and distributers say they are selling authentically made functional swords,as they were in the past, for combat.

One very well known company /person makes them by hand, custom, "the Traditional Authentic Way", and yet they still cut corners when it comes to crafting them and then they have the balls to charges an arm, a leg and your first born!!!

For practice I understand not using a functional blade, but for authenticity.... now that is something different.

Thank you sir , I appreciate it. TTM

You're more than welcome. I love the blade I have out of Hanwei forge. I would assume Hanwei may have some lower grade models, but I'm not sure. They definately have some top quality steel though.

If you want practical and pretty, check out their dynasty series. some nice looking stuff.

as you can see the tang is double pinned on this jian as well.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2049_14207320

I just want to add, that broadswords are no longer practical and have been an obsolete warfare technology for hundreds of years now.

They are fun to work with though. I like classical weaponry, but push to shove, a simple baseball bat or gun will do.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yea, but after you hit someone with a bat or shoot them with a gun you can't strike the cool pose that you can with a broadsword. (There has to be a cool pose involved)
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I just want to add, that broadswords are no longer practical and have been an obsolete warfare technology for hundreds of years now.

They are fun to work with though. I like classical weaponry, but push to shove, a simple baseball bat or gun will do.
    broadsword techniques are very similar to kali. Anything you pick up can be used effectively once you understand the dao-stick, tire iron, etc.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

if you practice cutting at all, a practiccal design can come into play.