Thread: Theory and practice of your style

Theory and practice of your style

This is a heated debate always.

My 2 brothers practice Zhao Bao Tai Chi, and I practice Chen.

Tai Chi Quan is actually a concept and a theory.

The first classics is about 13 postures, again they are theories first.

Chen Tai Chi is actually called Chen family long fist.

When and how Tai Chi Quan is connected with Chen family fist? It may be only recently.

Ba Gua is also a theory. Dong's palm methods with circle walking are named Ba Gua Zhang, due to the steps in the circle walk representing the 8 hexagrams in 8 directions. However, the palm methods and forearm are more Tai Chi like and also stressing outward Peng. It is called round and extending or Yuan Cheng Jing.

the theories and classics are not complete and so are the practices.

so the work is on the shoulder of all the practitioners and fans.

--

what are the theory and practice of your style?

To me, Ba Gua Zhang is more Tai Chi like then Chen Tai Chi (long fist).

or more differentiated than Chen Tai Chi.

i do wushu and valetudo

so the concept of my style is

1 LOOKING **** COOL

2 beating the **** out of someone

and they both work really well
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    This is a heated debate always.

My 2 brothers practice Zhao Bao Tai Chi, and I practice Chen.

Tai Chi Quan is actually a concept and a theory.

The first classics is about 13 postures, again they are theories first.

Chen Tai Chi is actually called Chen family long fist.

When and how Tai Chi Quan is connected with Chen family fist? It may be only recently.

Ba Gua is also a theory. Dong's palm methods with circle walking are named Ba Gua Zhang, due to the steps in the circle walk representing the 8 hexagrams in 8 directions. However, the palm methods and forearm are more Tai Chi like and also stressing outward Peng. It is called round and extending or Yuan Cheng Jing.

the theories and classics are not complete and so are the practices.

so the work is on the shoulder of all the practitioners and fans.

--

what are the theory and practice of your style?

I have nothing against Zhaobao Taiji, but this theory they keep trying to propagate about Taiji coming from Mt. Wudang is clearly just a bid for their style to claim senority. Chen Taiji IS in fact, the Chen family's interpretation of Longfist. All other forms of Taiji are other people's interpretations of that. If Taiji seems more like Bagua than Longfist to you, that's probably because you don't understand how Longfist is actually applied--i.e. a lot of circularity, throwing, relaxed power, etc.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Just a correction, trigrams instead of hexagrams.

from my understanding, not saying an expert on everything.

1. the classics usually started with methods/techniques and built on.

a. Chen Tai Chi is yes a form of long fist.

Peng Lu Ji An Cai Lie Zhou Kao are 8 methods in the 13 postures.

just listing as examples;

b. in Ba Ji, there are 6 big opening, 8 big moves (Zhao), upper level hitting Yun (cloud), Lie (sweep), Dian (point), Ti (rise), mid level hitting Ai (close), Chuo (stab), Ji (press), Kao (strike), lower level eating and burying roots etc.

c. Mantis, Gou Lou Cai, Zhan, Nian, Tie, Kao, etc

there are single characters representing a method.

each method may be many moves. and each move may have several methods.

2. the Jin theories. Tai Chi stressing Chan Si (silk reeling) by Chen Xin?. Ba Ji stressing downward sinking (Cheng Zui or Xia Cheng), cross (Shi Zi) and Chan Si etc.

3. practice requirements of a method

4. applications of each method.

5. Qi Gong theory.

--

on and on.

again, what about the theory and practice of your style?

beyond looking cool and beating sb up?

Last edited by SPJ; 12-08-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi View Post
    I have nothing against Zhaobao Taiji, but this theory they keep trying to propagate about Taiji coming from Mt. Wudang is clearly just a bid for their style to claim senority. Chen Taiji IS in fact, the Chen family's interpretation of Longfist. All other forms of Taiji are other people's interpretations of that. If Taiji seems more like Bagua than Longfist to you, that's probably because you don't understand how Longfist is actually applied--i.e. a lot of circularity, throwing, relaxed power, etc.
    Tai Chi is an idea from the book of change. Some said dating back 4200 years ago.

or before Zhou dynasties.

Mount Wu Dang with Daoist temples. The best constructions happened in Ming dynasty.

there are many LEGENDS. such as watching crane and snake fighting?

Zhang San Feng was a wandering monk and not staying on Wu Dang that long.

Wu Dang did have Tai Chi Chang Quan that are not Chen family long fist.

there are classics of Wu Dang fighting methods documented in Qi Ji Guang's "new effect on MA or Ji Xiao Xin Shu.

Wu Dang had many good fighting sets. they "worship" turtle and snake, I think.

my point is that, Tai Chi or Ba Gua are widely used across the society. Wu Dang does not "own" them by itself.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 12-08-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi View Post
    actually, I meant to say Ba Gua Zhang is more Tai Chi like than Chen Tai Chi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkIys9GHYQ&NR

in this clip, master Su's Tai Chi has a lot of Ba Gua flavor, too.

Unhappy Theory In Practice ...

Traditional Chinese study is a marriage of civil and martial disciplines (Wen Wu Shuang Quan). Since Song dynasty (960 - 1279 CE), there has been a tendency of focus on the civil and suppressing the martial (zong wen qin wu). This is the reason that theories in martial arts become more and more important since then. We also see significant decline in the Chinese influence on other southern eastern countries. Part of the problem is the collapse of traditional Chinese educating system during late Qing and the Republic era. Patriot scholars at the time often confused free thinking with radical thinking IMHO - good intention but bad execution. Personally, the decline of Chinese influence is relative to the misinterpretation of theroies in TCMA that decimated China's military power.

It's sad but it's also a fact. So...

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum