Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: video: plain clothes cops vs shoplifter

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Yeah, store security...with Cuffs.
    whoops my bad ... missed the cuffs part. i guess they'd at least be security vs. regular store employees then.

i got bored and just started skimming it.
    where's my beer?

police in new orleans beating a guy.

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11290...In_New_Orleans

i dont like to make judgement without knowing the entire situation, espeically if it were shortly after the hurricaine, but theres the video.
    where's my beer?

Ha, whatever you got we have right here in Central Florida. Cops beating peeps right here

Heck, we even have Karate Instructors molesting students (link).

And this guy ran an after school program. Maybe he got to meet the cops in the video clip (if we're lucky).

Wish I still had my school down there I would have had an influx of students.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Yep those guys were probably private security rather than actual police officers. They never identified themselves as police to anyone.

It was not a well executed detention, but i've seen worse. Keep in mind, their goal was not to beat the guy up, but to subdue, control, and handcuff him... which is an entirely different animal. That being said, there was absolutely nothing excessive about the level of force they used from what i saw.

David J,
    your tirade about thugs in uniform is just a tad unwarranted, considering that you're basing it on a very tame video of rent-a-cops wrestling down a supposed shoplifter and smacking him in the face a couple times while he's still fighting. furthermore, your blanket statement about punching a suspect in the face being "a complete lack of tactical training" or whatever you said is utter nonsense and just a common example of how people with no base of knowledge tend to assume that they know how the police should do their jobs. Its exactly the same as those fools standing around in the video yelling, 'why don't you read him his rights?' Even if those guys were cops (which they weren't), there is absolutely no reason and no legal obligation to mirandize a combative/resistive suspect. Heck, you don't even have to read the miranda admonition after you arrest him. Miranda is only required once have him in custody (arrested) AND are interrogating him.

I agree, the punching was unnecessary, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do? Who knows what the perp would have done, if they gave him the opportunity?

The not breathing part? C'mon, how do you yell that you are not breathing, if you can't breath??

Definatly poorly trained security or police, either way.

I dont' think they were police, they didn't ask or search him for a weapon, which is the first thing you do.

Seems like a bunch of inexperienced guys.

On the other side, the guy was a fool for resisting.

Here is a message; DON'T RESIST THE POLICE. IT WILL ONLY MAKE MATTERS WORSE. Police have to live with potentialy dangerous situations every day, pulling over a vehicle, a shoplifter, local fight, etc. Anything could happen.

I've trained many police in the past - cut them a little slack, they have a hard job protecting us.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 12-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Don't get me wrong.
    I know that job. They did it wrong, no question there.
    However, if it was a real fight and not a part of the job, then yeah, I would throw strikes but the job, and the responsibilities require that you don't use excessive force. Those guys were very poorly trained amateurs at best.
    A unique snowflake

Miranda is only required once have him in custody (arrested) AND are interrogating him.
    The rules might be different in hippy Canada
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

They are lucky the people around didn't take the side of the guy vs. 3 and they would have been in real trouble.
    I would love for once see a video where they show these kinda abuses and the person abused can actually difend himself...

Personal opinion? If they go to court those guys risk some troubles...