View Poll Results: How do you see the unarmed forms?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • SLT is mostly a catalogue of techniques

6 30.00%
  • SLT is mostly principle-based

17 85.00%
  • CK is mostly a catalogue of techs to add to the techs from SLT

4 20.00%
  • CK is mostly a set of modifications, additions and refinements to the principles from SLT

10 50.00%
  • CK is both new techs and refinements to SLT

6 30.00%
  • BG is mostly cat of techs?

5 25.00%
  • BG is mostly additions and refinements?

9 45.00%
  • BG is both?

8 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: How do you see the forms?

How do you see the forms?

As it says. This is multiple choice, and while I know that most people see all of the above elements to some degree, in your school, which aspect is given the majority of emphasis would you say?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Cheers to the few of you who've voted for now.

And don't think I'm being ungrateful or anything, but to those of you who have voted for every option, you're kind of missing the point of the words 'mostly' and 'both', which are two of the main distinctions in the poll.

Ya dumb ****s!

Anyone is welcome to open a discussion on it by the way, even if it's just to say what a pointless poll it is, since only 8 people have voted out of 106 views...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

I voted for all of them because I thought the selections given were ghey...

Ya dumb ass!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

...explination...

"Mosty" is a dodgy word, it either 'is' a catalogue of techniques or it 'is not', regardless of what else it may be...

Also, the term 'catalogue' bugs me, I like 'encyclopedia' better.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Lightbulb Tao of Forms

Forms are merely a roadmap.

Its up to you to drive to your ultimate destination.

-jo

And don't think I'm being ungrateful or anything, but to those of you who have voted for every option, you're kind of missing the point of the words 'mostly' and 'both', which are two of the main distinctions in the poll.
    Now, now, it's bad form to run a poll and then tell people how they are supposed to vote. I personally think only one option applied to each form.

Personally, I prefer "vocabulary of techniques" to either "catalogue" or "encyclopaedia".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The forms are concept based AND they are technique based.

False choice. Tan sao is a concept and is also a specific technique that fits certain specific situations. So is lop, pak, lan, bong, huen, bil, jut, etc.

How about...

The forms are multi-dimentional technical models including both techniques and concepts.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    "Mosty" is a dodgy word, it either 'is' a catalogue of techniques or it 'is not', regardless of what else it may be...
    Justin,
    I agree with you on this point to the degree that "mostly" seems to imply that one is more important than the other. I would say that the forms are both techniques and concepts which have a symbiotic relationship to each other. A vocabulary of techniques that are expressed within a conceptual framework.
    The problem is that we can get wrapped up in intellectual arguements that do not really add any value to our Wing Chun training, so I tend to avoid polls.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Justin,
    I agree with you on this point to the degree that "mostly" seems to imply that one is more important than the other.
    Some people think so, hence the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I would say that the forms are both techniques and concepts which have a symbiotic relationship to each other. A vocabulary of techniques that are expressed within a conceptual framework.
    Yep, OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The problem is that we can get wrapped up in intellectual arguements that do not really add any value to our Wing Chun training, so I tend to avoid polls.
    You won't find anything intellectual from me I can assure you!

And Andrew, I wasn't telling people how to vote, I was berating them for stupidity! I suppose you could call that bad form!

Justin, you thought the poll was ghey... OK, that's all I wanted to know! I chose the word mostly because it covers pretty much 51-99.x%. The purists may not have liked it but I thought it gave enough leeway for anyone else!