Thread: video: Submission wrestler w/o arms or legs

video: Submission wrestler w/o arms or legs

That's sick!

Little guy should be in a circus.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

dude that guy beat someone who has all four limbs.

he gets major props
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I think that is awesome...
    -Golden Arms-

Kyle is amazing... he tapped his opponent with a head an arm choke in that match.

He was also an accomplished high school wrestler as well as playing on the football team.

Its impressive, and you gotta give him props, but do you really think he should be allowed to compete? Its a little unfair, I mean, no one will want to hurt or humiliate him out of pity, and how the f*** are you supposed to arm bar someone with no arm? I'm no authority on the subject, but I can imagine its a little difficult to wrestle this guy. Its unfair IMO. Its great though, to see him trying, and suceeding in this.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    Its impressive, and you gotta give him props, but do you really think he should be allowed to compete? Its a little unfair, I mean, no one will want to hurt or humiliate him out of pity, and how the f*** are you supposed to arm bar someone with no arm? I'm no authority on the subject, but I can imagine its a little difficult to wrestle this guy. Its unfair IMO. Its great though, to see him trying, and suceeding in this.
    Unfair!!!???? To whom? The guy has no arms or legs and his opponents are at a disadvantage?

As far as taking it easy on him, one does that at his own peril. He is one skilled and tough guy. I've seen footage of his h.s. wrestling matches, as well as his submission competitions... people never take it easy on him.

"Unfair" is kind of laughable.

I don't think the percieved disadvantage reflects reality though. Firstly, arm bars, knee bars, heel hooks, achilles holds, etc all go the window. All you really have are neck cranks and chokes or some funky shoulder and hip locks. Just the nature of having no limbs negates many of the control positions, escapes, and reversals. Then you have to look at the unfamiliarity of it all. South paws make guys have fits and that is just somebody standing in an opposite stance. If you fight against a guy like this regularly, you'd likely figure out ways to adjust your game. Weight is another biggy. Legs are generally 1/3 of your body weight. I weigh 165 lbs. A third of that is 55 lbs. If I competed in the 110 lbs division, I would manhandle those guys like they were dolls. I'd still have the upperbody and upperbody strength of a 165 lb'er, but I'd be fighting at 110 lbs.

Not taking a single thing away from this guy. He is obviously skilled and I respect the hell out of him for even going out there and trying nevermind doing well with it. If I was in his position, I can only wish I'd have the internal strength to do that. It's great. I just wanted to address the disadvantage thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    I don't think the percieved disadvantage reflects reality though.
    He has a huge disadvantage. If you would have seen how he completely got demolished his first couple of years of wrestling, you would understand this. The reason he is able to hang and beat guys is because he has worked, struggled and sweated to overcome his disadvantages. If he had normal use of his limbs, he would probably be at the world-class level in grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Firstly, arm bars, knee bars, heel hooks, achilles holds, etc all go the window. All you really have are neck cranks and chokes...
    Same with him... he is just as limited in doing those things to his opponents. The difference is they've still got full use of their arms and legs for their chokes and cranks- he doesn't.

Weight is another biggy. Legs are generally 1/3 of your body weight. I weigh 165 lbs. A third of that is 55 lbs. If I competed in the 110 lbs division, I would manhandle those guys like they were dolls. I'd still have the upperbody and upperbody strength of a 165 lb'er, but I'd be fighting at 110 lbs.
    Try taking just your arms and tying them up so that your only use of them is for balance. Then grapple a little guy who is close to your skill level. See how well you do. Now imagine tying up your legs also.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 12-14-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Wow, that's great! At the same time, after being submitted by a man with one arm as short as the man in this video, I can say it was not a disadvantage to him. He could still secure my gi with it and it was very powerful, hard to lock because you can only attack the shoulder.

From another point of view, remove striking and put it into a tournament format and he could be hard to beat: no arms or legs to readily attack. Also, with no legs and arms, he's going to be fighting guys with a much smaller frame than him.

But obviously, super impressive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    He has a huge disadvantage. If you would have seen how he completely got demolished his first couple of years of wrestling, you would understand this. The reason he is able to hang and beat guys is because he has worked, struggled and sweated to overcome his disadvantages. If he had normal use of his limbs, he would probably be at the world-class level in grappling.
    Not saying he has an advantage or is on even ground. He obviously has a disadvantage. I just may take exception to the word "huge" depending on what "huge" means to the individual using it. Working to overcome an obstacle isn't uncommon and the final product doesn't necessarily mean that a disadvantage still exists; just that an obstacle was overcome.

Same with him... he is just as limited in doing those things to his opponents. The difference is they've still got full use of their arms and legs for their chokes and cranks- he doesn't.
    Two points:

1) He still can do arm bars, heel hooks, knee bars, etc but the control and/or positioning would be compromised in comparison will a fully able individual. They are still options though.

2) Even if he's found that the above are so low percentage that he wouldn't try them, he has far more practice working for his available on subs on able-bodied people than vice-versa. I'm not saying that negates other disadvantages he has, but this surely is an advantage on his part.

Try taking just your arms and tying them up so that your only use of them is for balance. Then grapple a little guy who is close to your skill level. See how well you do. Now imagine tying up your legs also.
    What does this prove? If you cut off my leg and replace it with a prostethis, I doubt I'll run very far or very fast. Give me a year or two to train, and I'd likely beat most "average people" and even above average people. Since I have not lived my life or a for a good portion of time in the situation above, it does absolutely nothing to prove your point and is nothing but an appeal to emotion.

On a side note, I'm most impressed with his pinning than anything else. I'd imagine that people would just be able to toss him off them, but that's obviously not the case. The leverage must be so hard to maintain with no legs to speak of. That's impressive as hell.