Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martial Arts Accreditation and Governing Bodies

Well, anyways, it is possible that standards will be forced upon the martial arts community by way of lawsuits.

Already herpes gladitorum outbreaks are on the rise, they're checking students at BJJ tourneys for ringworm and herpes outbreaks, they're testing MMA fighters for hep-C, HIV, etc.

So all it will probably take will be a couple of high profile cases, and the standards will be enforced.

Already a lot of teachers are modifying their training regimes at the request of insurance carriers, so we will likely see some more standards in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1 View Post
    If you want to be a weigh-lifter, do you only ever lift weights that are comfortable and require no strain, following a program that never really leaves you limping and tender to the touch the following day? That wouldn't really be weight-lifting, would it?
    being nitpicky here, but yes, it would be. Proper strength training does not have to leave you sore. In fact, it's rare that I'm sore, but you can check my blog on the fitness forum to see what all I do. Certain types of training will indeed lead to some soreness, though not all of it has to.

If the business man wants to wear fancy PJs, shout "haiiiii-YA" over and over again, while breaking a single inch of dry pine, then he's not really doing martial arts. If he gets into a school that leaves him sore the following day, then at least he knows he did something worthwhile the evening prior...
    that's life, nonetheless. A guy working in the marketing department for a major IT company will have several meetings weekly, if not daily with upper management. Visible bruises would be frowned upon and can endanger his job.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I understand your take, but whenever I hear people say it, I have to question what they are calling hard contact. If I can KO a person with gloves and headgear on, I could do worse to them with no gear at all.
    You're looking at it from an aggressor viewpoint. The usual argument for protective gear is so you can hit without having to pull punches. That's true and it benefits the aggressor.

It's detrimental from a defensive POV because it gives a false sense of security. You're more likely to shrug off a shot that would have floored you without the gear.

It's similar to the problem with point fighting where the other guy doesn't 'respect' your technique (acknowledges a light tap to the head COULD be a knockout punch).

I'm a yin/yang kind of guy, I believe too much yang (aggressive) is just as bad as too much yin (passive).

I suggested alternating the padding so you get to both hit hard and learn to deal with the reality of getting hit.

Everyone seems to be concerned with the guy that spars light contact in class and doesn't learn to go full out and gets beat in the street because he can't up his game.

What about the guy that's used to the padding and gets into a fight and finds out he can't take a kick to the ribs like he does in class?

Fighting with gear all the time is just as bad as fighting without gear all the time. Spar without a cup and you WILL protect your groin.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    You're looking at it from an aggressor viewpoint. The usual argument for protective gear is so you can hit without having to pull punches. That's true and it benefits the aggressor. It's detrimental from a defensive POV because it gives a false sense of security. You're more likely to shrug off a shot that would have floored you without the gear.
    I'm looking from the standpoint of both. I've been KOed with gloves on. It really doesn't feel any better. Wearing pads doesn't give me a false sense of security. I still make every attempt not to get hit, unless I am doing something that may require me to get hit in some form or fashion. However, I've done that with no pads as well.

It's similar to the problem with point fighting where the other guy doesn't 'respect' your technique (acknowledges a light tap to the head COULD be a knockout punch).
    not really. We spar hard enough that a hard punch will rock your bell. you have to respect it. you only run the possibility you mentioned while sparring lightly. We were sparring with pads when I broke the guys ribs I mentioned earlier.

I'm a yin/yang kind of guy, I believe too much yang (aggressive) is just as bad as too much yin (passive).
    no disagreement there.

What about the guy that's used to the padding and gets into a fight and finds out he can't take a kick to the ribs like he does in class?
    I can guarantee you, that's not an issue if you are sparring hard contact. the padding doesn't remove as much pain as you think.

Fighting with gear all the time is just as bad as fighting without gear all the time. Spar without a cup and you WILL protect your groin.
    I would disagree there as well, of for nothing else than the fact that people tend to hit even harder with gloves on, as they think the impact is lessened by the big gloves. As I stated before, in a tag game, it's difficult to respect the strike, as you don't really feel it. If you are sparring hard contact, that is not an issue. you WILL feel it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think the amount of protection pads offer can be party based on your opponent's skill level. With beginners, I can have a chest protector on and take the shots easy, but against some of my kung-fu brother, I might as well not even have one on, for all the good it seems to do me.

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    What are your thoughts on the need (or not) for Martial Arts Accreditation for martial arts instructors and the need for Governing Bodies?

I belong to the Martial Arts Industry Association MAIA (http://www.maia.com.au/) and the International Martial Arts Alliance IMA (http://www.martialartalliance.com/). These organisations both offer accreditation for the martial artist.

Your thoughts?

Here in Ireland, they recently started a coaching course which is government accredited and designed by "NCTC - National Coaching Training Centre" in Limerick and IMAC (Irish Martial Arts Comission)

They designed this coaching course for various sports (football, hurling, equestrian, etc..) and recently started teaching the Level 1 course for Martial Arts. Its four days of teaching with all MA's mixed up, going over topics like

safety
    design of class
    teaching children
    sports psychology
    stretching/flexibilty/strength
    record keeping
    etc...
    and then a final modul that is art specifc, so that is broken down in Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Tai Chi, Karate, etc...
    On top of that you need a First Aid certificate, attend a "Code of Ethics" course and attend a class of a different MA and write up on it.

And at the end of that, you get your Level 1 certificate, which would be assistant coach.
    They are currently working on level 2 for MA, but that might take a while and somewhere in the future Level 3 MA.

Gagalina

If you want to be a motocross racer, do you get yourself a suit that resists dirt and mud, and a bike that is padded, with extra shock absorbing materials, etc.? That wouldn't really be motocross, would it?
    I'm guessing you don't ride dirt bikes. Other than the padded bike, that is exactly what motocross racers do. You can drop major bank on all the protective equipment used in that sport.

If you want to be a rock climber, do you limit yourself solely to climbing indoor rock walls made of high-impact plastic and resin, complete with industrial strength, professionally installed pitons and nice, thick pads to fall onto should you lose your grip? That wouldn't really be rock climbing, would it?
    If one is bouldering, he does, indeed, use pads if he is doing it with any seriousness. Otherwise, most climbers use ropes and very sophisticated safety systems.

If you want to be a weigh-lifter, do you only ever lift weights that are comfortable and require no strain, following a program that never really leaves you limping and tender to the touch the following day? That wouldn't really be weight-lifting, would it?
    Competitive lifters have spotters and use racks. They lift on matted floors and use rubber encased plates so they can let the weights drop if they lose control and are at risk of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    "
    My feelings also although we seem to be in the minority. Nothing teaches the importance of blocking like a shot in the giblets.
    Personally I think all the padding makes you careless. But I would argue for a mouthpiece since you will get hit there.
    I think the best would be one padded the other not so one could work on full contact aggression while requiring serious concern for the reality of getting hit. Then switch.
    The paradox of protective gear is that it allows one to be able to take increasing levels of punishment because it allows your opponent to hit harder.

The fighter who trains with protective gear will almost always be able to take more punishment than the one who trains with no gear.

I guess my take on things is that "back in the old days" there weren't advanced plastics, space-age polymers, etc., to make protective gear out of. There was "armored" and "unarmored." Somehow, the old guys managed to survive training just fine....
    "Back in the old days" they weren't sparring hard contact at all or very often... at least not if they weren't using any protective equipment.

Just because technology advances and provides neat new toys, that doesn't mean training methodology has to change along with it.
    Sure it does, and smart people evolve training methodologies that take advantage of technology.

MMA gloves allow you to punch, as well as you grip with your hands. One can now practice both striking full contact and grappling at the same time.

Full face head gear, along with elbow pads means you can now work elbows at full force without cutting each other's faces up.

Mats allow you to do full amplitude takedowns and throws.

Groin protection lets you practice that type fighting.

Throw on some protective goggles and you can practice eye gouging.

Get custom top and bottom mouthpieces and you can even practice biting.