Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sparring equipment.

While I revel in any opportunity to make fun of TKD, in the Olympic style you are suppose to make hard contact now. I guess they figured they had all this gear they might as well put it to use.

If your not sparring hard, the tell them to SUCK IT UP!

Not that they turn their hips over enough to get real power out of their beloved roundhouses anyway.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    While I revel in any opportunity to make fun of TKD, in the Olympic style you are suppose to make hard contact now. I guess they figured they had all this gear they might as well put it to use.

If your not sparring hard, the tell them to SUCK IT UP!

Not that they turn their hips over enough to get real power out of their beloved roundhouses anyway.
    Yeah, TKD is ... well ... let's just say kid's TKD is even more watered down than Olympic TKD if such a thing were possible. But then again, they're just kids, and they seem to have fun.

The thing that I was doing for a while was going to TKD places and telling them they just do Shotokan. Their reactions were pretty funny, "No, this is an ANCIENT korean martial art more than 3000 years old." Right...

Then point them to the articles about how their founder was a Shotokan BB, and how similar their katas are to Shotokan, and watch the looks on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Well, since this is the KF mag boards, there is of course www.martialartsmart.com (check out the link at the top of the page). They have some cheap stuff.

BTW if Gene ever reads this, my friend's son is in TKD, and they all use Tiger Claw gear, including uniforms. (With shorts). LOL

You don't have to get top of the line. You can search around and find some lower priced stuff.

But bottom line is sparring gear doesn't provide 100% protection (depending upon the strength of your partner, a lot less, like 20% or something) and you still have to be careful.
    OK, while I support the forum when I can, please...PLEASE...why would you buy gear for sparring that has this disclaimer???? (see hilighted pic).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    OK, while I support the forum when I can, please...PLEASE...why would you buy gear for sparring that has this disclaimer???? (see hilighted pic).
    Man I just lol'd so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by syn View Post
    Man I just lol'd so hard.
    That's so funny. I suppose they need a disclaimer for liability. Anyway another source is Kim Pacific (www.kimpacific.com). But I'm not a good one to ask about quality stuff because I haven't bought any gloves for almost 10 years now.

The thing that I was doing for a while was going to TKD places and telling them they just do Shotokan. Their reactions were pretty funny, "No, this is an ANCIENT korean martial art more than 3000 years old." Right...

Then point them to the articles about how their founder was a Shotokan BB, and how similar their katas are to Shotokan, and watch the looks on their faces.
    Wow. Now THAT seems like a VERY productive use of time. I bet you showed them, huh? Maybe we'll make a badge for you, TKD-K (TKD-Killer) and you can take it upon yourself to visit schools all over the country and tell everyone all the things YOU think they should know about their martial arts, their training, gear, etc., as it appears you fancy yourself such an expert.

Neil/Lunghushan and whatever your other names are, you are truly an angry and bitter individual. I read your posts, and rarely, rarely, do you even try to offer any meaningful contributions to this forum. It appears from your posts, that you don't even study MA (anymore at least). Why do you bother? LOL

Maybe Santa will bring you a little cheer this year and you will stop being such a Grinch.

get the gloves at the very least
    i've always found gloves are the one area where trying to save a few dollars can really make a big difference (in a negative way).
    Those mma gloves are about the best in the business for allowing you to transfer a good amount of force without cutting your partner to ribbons.

I've never been cut not wearing headgear & personally don't like it much.
    having a tub of vaseline on hand to prevent cuts to the forehead, eyebrows, and nose should be enough.

shin guards are helpful if you're putting a lot of shin into your kicks and/or blocking with your shins a lot. I'm not sure you'd be doing this a whole lot, as i believe hung gar is more about the sidekick.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

i would recommend checking w/ your school prior to buying any type of sparring gear as they may or may not have any requirements on gear selection or check out what other people in your sparring class are wearing. i know at our school they do not allow the mma type gloves that are fingerless. alot of gear out there & it will basically end up w/ what you like & don't like. alot of trial & error in figuring out what will work for you & your style of sparring. i originally purchased a set of gear by sparmaster & as time went on, now my stuff is hodge podged together, as i have changed shin guards, hand protection, etc... as i have found my personnal preferences based upon my style.

oh... by the way don't forget to buy a groin protector & a mouth guard, it will save you alot of grief & not to mention pain...

cheers & happy holidays,
    mk
    Last edited by monkeyking168; 12-21-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Hung Sing Kung Fu Studio - Chinatown Branch
    724 Commercial Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94108
    email: hungsingclf@comcast.net

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    get the gloves at the very least
    i've always found gloves are the one area where trying to save a few dollars can really make a big difference (in a negative way).
    Those mma gloves are about the best in the business for allowing you to transfer a good amount of force without cutting your partner to ribbons.

shin guards are helpful if you're putting a lot of shin into your kicks and/or blocking with your shins a lot. I'm not sure you'd be doing this a whole lot, as i believe hung gar is more about the sidekick.
    Yeah I definitely throw more side kicks than anything else.

So being that I have to buy two sets of gloves and money issues I've found two that I'm looking at:
    http://www.martialartsmart.net/10x030.html
    http://www.kimpacific.com/shop/produ...products_id/46 (click the picture to enlarge it)

Now the kim pacific for only +10 dollars I can upgrade from vinyl to leather which is apparently more durable. Also the kimpacific doesn't have the disclaimer "not for full contact" or whatever, so I was thinking of just buying two leather sets of theirs, and once I get more money I'd probably buy some head or shin gear. I'd say our sparring isn't rough enough though to need body gear, and it's borderline needing head gear.

Lama Pai Sifu: I agree it isn't the coolest thing going from place to place trying to make fools out of people, but attacking him you can't expect to be anymore productive than he was in the past.

Y

Lama Pai Sifu: I agree it isn't the coolest thing going from place to place trying to make fools out of people, but attacking him you can't expect to be anymore productive than he was in the past.
    You are right. I am not really trying to attack him, although I have been attacked BY him in the past. I'm just really hoping that maybe, just maybe, he'll read something and see that from time to time, he acts like a (insert adjective here).

He probably has some good things that he can add to these posts, but he has continually trolled (under more than one name) and called myself and many others names, and attempted to make fun of their respective styles. He disappears for a bit, then starts posting 10+ times a day, and 90% of the time, he's just acting like a 'tard.' We had a good thread about lineage going, but it got locked when he started with his antics.

Trolls, or troll-like behavior is just baaaad for the forums.

Happy Holidays to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Happy Holidays to all!
    Happy holidays to you too!

Also Monkey King, our school isn't kean on sparring equipment because (I probably already said this) our sifu emphasis us having enough control to just barely touch the skin or cloth and still pull back. It's one thing to be able to land a strike, it's another to decide how much force you put into it.

i still find it funny that people wear shin guards . Shins are easy to condition. Rather spend your money on gloves and maybe head gear. Or get two different types of gloves. MMA gloves and boxing gloves. this way, you can get the feel for both types.

How about a chest protector?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

sorry, I didnt read your post properly. Only now saw what you said about head gear and body gear.

If your school doesnt allow full contact, why do you want protective gear? Spend your mopney on somehting like the San Da dvds pwerhaps?
    得 心 應 手

Yeah I definitely throw more side kicks than anything else.

So being that I have to buy two sets of gloves and money issues I've found two that I'm looking at:
    http://www.martialartsmart.net/10x030.html
    http://www.kimpacific.com/shop/produ...products_id/46 (click the picture to enlarge it)

Now the kim pacific for only +10 dollars I can upgrade from vinyl to leather which is apparently more durable. Also the kimpacific doesn't have the disclaimer "not for full contact" or whatever, so I was thinking of just buying two leather sets of theirs, and once I get more money I'd probably buy some head or shin gear. I'd say our sparring isn't rough enough though to need body gear, and it's borderline needing head gear.

Actually in a school a long time ago they had us buy those same Kim Pacific gloves (which is why I mention it) and they seemed to do just fine for sparring even with pretty hard contact, but I didn't use them for more than 6 months.

Lama Pie whatever ... LOL I went to a lot of schools, trying to find something decent, and TKD is, well, let's just say ... SAD ... so when they pulled out the TKD is so great, TKD is the best, TKD is 3000 years old, TKD's round kicks can kill anybody, that's when I broke out the Shotokan.

But it's okay. Obviously you are the greatest. LOL

Actually in a school a long time ago they had us buy those same Kim Pacific gloves (which is why I mention it) and they seemed to do just fine for sparring even with pretty hard contact, but I didn't use them for more than 6 months.
    they used to use those type of gloves in the Kuoshu association down here. Not a good idea since they used those head gears with the mask on. Your front knuckes are exposed and many fighters had serious injuries and cuts to their hands as a result of the limited protection.

But seriously, if you're not going to make contact, is it really needed?
    得 心 應 手