Thread: CCK TCPM Videos Thread

Smile CCK TCPM Videos Thread

Last edited by mantis108; 12-23-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Smile One more Video

Our Wooden Dummy form performed by Sifu Galen Fok's student Sifu Andrew Yuen

CCK TCPM Wooden Dummy Form

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

mantis 108,

In the chain set, I notice that there is a butterfly kick and some rolling on the ground techniques. Now from what I know and understand, these two techniques were not taught to nor part of the original chain set. Every thing (technique wise) is there in the video that you posted except it appears that these two techniques were recently fused into the original set.

Now i've also seen this set document in line drawings in New Martial Hero magazine HK 1970's) and again everything is in that article tehchique wise is there except the butterfly kick and the rolling ground techniques.

Do you know the way Andrew Yuen performs the chain is the way his teacher taught him or did Andrew added himself?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Our Wooden Dummy form performed by Sifu Galen Fok's student Sifu Andrew Yuen

CCK TCPM Wooden Dummy Form

Mantis108
    cool. i've had the book now for...6-7 years but it's nice to see it played.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    mantis 108,

In the chain set, I notice that there is a butterfly kick and some rolling on the ground techniques. Now from what I know and understand, these two techniques were not taught to nor part of the original chain set. Every thing (technique wise) is there in the video that you posted except it appears that these two techniques were recently fused into the original set.
    Thanks for the question, NorthernShaolin.

First and foremost, the chainwhip that is used in the clip is a traditional standard whip. This means that it is a bit more difficult to control than the modern Wushu type of whips. Now the techniques in there are all traditional northern style techniques (Bei Pai), which we all understand they are quite acrobatic in nature. Speed and agility are key attributes to the CCK TCPM system which btw is why this particular weapon is almost the epitomy of CCK TCPM. These northern techniques are part of the basic training to augment those attributes no more no less. As far as I understand it, the so called original set is in fact a "skeleton" which means the minimum of "techniques" standard are all there and that an average stylist can handle such a form.

Now, here comes the hard truth that some people would find it difficult to swallow. When GM Chiu started teaching in HK in the 70s, he is well into his 70s. I don't believe we can expect a 70 some years old master showing his students those acrobatic moves in person. This however doesn't mean that he couldn't do them when he was younger or he didn't know how to train others to do it. Many of the students who went to GM Chiu in the 70s already have other Kung Fu background or they are simply not youngsters themselves. So I believe it is not realistic to expect them to learn the arcobatic moves all over at an older age or trying to incorporate them in the form. I believe you can imagine the injury rate if GM Chiu insisted upon upholding such a high standard right? So a compromise had to be reached; thus, the so-called original set was taught.

Now i've also seen this set document in line drawings in New Martial Hero magazine HK 1970's) and again everything is in that article tehchique wise is there except the butterfly kick and the rolling ground techniques.
    While that documentation was truthful to the Qi Jie Meihwa Bian's form structure. It is not necessary the true potential of the form. Only with the individual's outstanding ability can we see the true beauty of this particular form IMHO.

Do you know the way Andrew Yuen performs the chain is the way his teacher taught him or did Andrew added himself?
    In the mid to late 80s, Galen Fok (my mentor) returned to HK after having a relatively short stay in Canada. During this time he gained some interesting experiences with North American Martial Arts tournament. So he discussed the experience with GM Chiu. One of the subject they covered was the Chainwhip form. It is at this time that Galen got his version of the form approved by GM Chiu. When Galen returned to Canada in the 90s, Andrew had been doing MA for awhile . Andrew started early as a kid and he also had trained with Liang Shouyu in Vancouver. So he has no difficulty in doing those acrobatic moves which is why Galen taught him this particular version. BTW, The arial cartwheel could be substituted by a forward roll (cang bei) if one have difficulty with the cartwheel. Otherwise the cartwheel or forward roll can be taken out altogether if these are still proven to be too difficult to do. These moves again are all about good timing, agility and above all speed which is the main attribute of this particular weaponry training in CCK TCPM.

I hope this answer your question.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Smile Hi Oso,

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    cool. i've had the book now for...6-7 years but it's nice to see it played.
    Glad you enjoyed the clip. Jack Wong have also released a VCD on the WD form. Just in case you and others are interested.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Mantis108,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I completely understand it now.

Smile Hi NorthenShaolin,

You are most welcome. It's a great pleasure to chat with knowledgeable people such as yourself.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Did I see Andrew doing part of Lok Hop Jeung in one of those vids? That guy is very athletic! Makes my old bones and joints hurt just to watch him!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Did I see Andrew doing part of Lok Hop Jeung in one of those vids? That guy is very athletic! Makes my old bones and joints hurt just to watch him!
    Hi TaichiMantis,

If you mean this link:

Andrew's forms clip

then it is not Lok Hop Jeung that you saw. That's actually is ground mantis. You are right he is very athletic. Good to be a younster, eh? But then I am in the same boat as you so ...

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Hi TaichiMantis,

If you mean this link:

Andrew's forms clip

then it is not Lok Hop Jeung that you saw. That's actually is ground mantis. You are right he is very athletic. Good to be a younster, eh? But then I am in the same boat as you so ...

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Hmmm....if it's not it has some of the very same moves in it...

Smile

Hi TaichiMantis,

Lok Hop Jeung does have a scissor kick and forward roll but no other Ditang moves. This is similar to Wu Shou Chui (Ng Sau Tsui) which has no scissor kick at all. These two forms IMHO are from the Digong Men connection that Sun Yuanchang had.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum