Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal students or closed door student

Yes, the fee was much higher. Basically it was the ticket to getting "closer" to Moy Yat so that he might teach you more than if you weren't a Special Student...and he had no hesitations about telling you that directly.

But in fairness to the man - it wasn't only about the money. He truly enjoyed having people around him who would be like family. (At least that's what he hoped it would turn out to be like when you joined his Association).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Yes, the fee was much higher. Basically it was the ticket to getting "closer" to Moy Yat so that he might teach you more than if you weren't a Special Student...and he had no hesitations about telling you that directly.

But in fairness to the man - it wasn't only about the money. He truly enjoyed having people around him who would be like family. (At least that's what he hoped it would turn out to be like when you joined his Association).
    A + and a -, very nicely written, Vic!

It's cool to hear about some back-in-the-day stories.

All the best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Closed Door Students

Close them all into the closet LOL hahahehe just a joke. Check out the Wing Chun Fight Club sometimes it is getting better.

Another question

It appears Ip Man did not take disciples (at least accordng to what I have been told) Did Jiu wan take disciples? Or did Chan Wah Soon take disciples?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    It appears Ip Man did not take disciples (at least accordng to what I have been told) Did Jiu wan take disciples? Or did Chan Wah Soon take disciples?
    Really? I was recently told that Lun Gai sifu does not take disciples - I can't remember if this was because the original Foshan students were not disciples or whether for the above reason. I'll ask Derek again when I next see him.

Yeah Sifu also told me that Lun Kai said Yip Man did not take disciples. I am just wondering if Chan Wah Soon took disciples (I remember Yip Man was the last student of Chan Wah Soon and probably finished most of his training with his elder kung fu brother)

Also I wonder if the Bai Si tradition exists in Yuen Kay San line or other families.

LOL, I might have to switch teacher just to do a bai si!!!

From a Chinese point of view is it ethical for a teacher to take disciples if he was not a disciple?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    From a Chinese point of view is it ethical for a teacher to take disciples if he was not a disciple?
    I really don't see it as an ethical problem - especially if you can consult your own teacher and get their approval. If it is about preserving tradition, and your lineage doesn't do discipleships then there is nothing to worry about.

Maybe there is more significance to discipleship that I do not understand beyond the public statement of kinship. Is there perhaps a kind of unwritten statement that accepting disciples you somehow are "setting up your own house"? But how does that square with lineages that do have discipleships?

In my personal life I have been sounded out about becoming an elder godbrother ("kai gor" in Cantonese) to a younger friend; since we do not have a tradition of this in my immediate family I felt very uncomfortable about going down this road so suggested just remaining good friends.