Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mah

Mah

How long can you guys hold a horse stance.

17hrs, 14mins, and 27.5 secs...
    (ok that might be a lie)

What sort of horse stance? high horse, low horse, etc?

generally: As long as our instructor makes me. Feels like hours...

The Wa Lum manual says from 5-30 min. I must admit though the most that I will go is about 5 min. For a normal class warm up 2-3 min is fine. During warm up I think that it's ok to start up high in stance and sink lower as you get more flexible.
    Always learning

Legs parallel to the ground, feet strait or mostly strait ahead, back strait, and hands chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tiger View Post
    Legs parallel to the ground, feet strait or mostly strait ahead, back strait, and hands chambered.

At normal (70% body height) about 55 minutes...it was during a lecture in class.

At thighs parallel...5 mins was the most I've been timed at.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tiger View Post
    I wouldn't recommend pointing feet straight ahead if thighs are parallel to the ground. That's a lot of stress on the knees.

I've only done about 15 minutes in a normal horse. But even that's sort of a waste. There are much better things to do with practice time.

lol.

sit in horse stance.

yes, I suppose i have done it, to get used to the shape.

good to do it to strengthen, better to do it gradually and with mobility to seal the strength that grows as you grow your kungfu.

becoming a statue with any of the postures of kungfu will give you the ability to pose like a statue.

in the beginning, this is a good effort, but after you learn your abc's start making words, then sentences, then paragraphs, then grammar checks, then...write that novel.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Agreed CLF doesn't promote sitting in sei ping ma for extended periods of time. We are more concerned with a lively horse and practice moving in and out of stances more. We do some holding but nothing over the top. A live horse is more important than a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    A live horse is more important than a dead horse.
    I like how you phrased that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    I like how you phrased that.
    You might find if you can ride a live horse, you can sit in on a dead horse.

Seriously, why would you want to sit in horse stance for hours unless you are a complete and total martial arts nerd? We used to have horse stance parties, where we would sit in horse for an hour, but why would anyone want to sign up for such abuse?

You probably have better things to do with your time, like chasing chicks and/or drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol.

in the beginning, this is a good effort, but after you learn your abc's start making words, then sentences, then paragraphs, then grammar checks, then...write that novel.

Well put!

But I like to liken it more to music...
    You learn notes, then scales, then songs and interpret the songs, then you
    learn to improvise
    I'll burn both sides of a bridge while standing in the middle to prove the truth.

horse stance parties?

wtf man.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    horse stance parties?

wtf man.
    My room-mates and I were taking Shotokan, and they invited over some people from the school to do horse-stance for an hour.

Unfortunately after the first two times we had one guy pass out from the pain, so we didn't have many takers after that.

Wouldn't you just collapse before that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    Wouldn't you just collapse before that point?
    only if you're a pu$$y...
    just kidding! i've done 3 min and it fu<kin' hurt like hell, but i'm pretty amazed at how fast your legs get strong and how quickly you can progress with regular practice...
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.