Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of wutan?

what do you think of wutan?

Hi I was just wondering what people's thoughts of the wutan school of chinese martial arts is?
    I found this vid on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnNar4wsBQI

Since when is Mantis a Wu-Tang art?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Masterkiller,

The term Wu-Tan used for the school should not be mistaken for Wudang Shan. Sounds similar but different charecters.

Wu-Tan was founded by GM Liu Yun Qiao to promote Chinese martial arts. Styles such as tanglang, xingyi, long fist, Chen taiji, etc where taught because GM Liu encouraged his students (some of whom where already skilled martial artists prior to seeing Liu) to also teach. Wu-Tan is primarily known for bajiquan/piquazhang and yin shi bagua (gong bao tian line).
    "For ministers, Taji quan is used to rule the country.
    For generals, Baji quan is used to defend the country."

it isnt wu tang but it does look pretty good
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

it is wu-tang; i've use to go to their school in new york in queens their curriculum is usually like this:
    tan tuei 12 road
    MANTIS
    baji
    piqua
    etc.. chen tachi etc.. lots of weaps

no it isnt
    simple fact

if they were a wu tang school this is likely what they would teach
    wu tang quan or wudang taiji
    and maybe other internal forms

mantis is exactly that MANTIS look up its history its shaolin
    tan tui is a long fist system ive studied it
    chen taiji comes from chen village not wu tang
    the sword form demo'd in that video wasnt wu tang either
    baji and pigua arent shaolin or wu tang they are grouped with stuff like tong bei
    Last edited by golden arhat; 12-29-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

As previously mentioned, Wutan is the group created by GM Liu Yun Qiao.

Their major style is bajiquan, you can see its influence in most of their forms/movements.

Cant speak for all the groups, considering they are spread throughout the world....
    But the East Coast group is pretty solid.
    Big on foundation.
    Solid training.

HOW U FIGURE!? im just stating that they DO teach it at their curriculum; it may not be their art but they teach it; the wu-tang kind of teach forms from every mantis; ie. plum flower, 6 harmony, 7 stars, 8 step, and also secret gate (1-2 forms).

look at the site man they have mantis in their curriculum www.wutangusa.com tell me that's not wu-tang
    Last edited by ChinoXL; 12-29-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baji-fist View Post
    Masterkiller,

The term Wu-Tan used for the school should not be mistaken for Wudang Shan. Sounds similar but different charecters.

Wu-Tan was founded by GM Liu Yun Qiao to promote Chinese martial arts. Styles such as tanglang, xingyi, long fist, Chen taiji, etc where taught because GM Liu encouraged his students (some of whom where already skilled martial artists prior to seeing Liu) to also teach. Wu-Tan is primarily known for bajiquan/piquazhang and yin shi bagua (gong bao tian line).
    Tony Yang (North Canton, Ohio) was a direct student of GM Liu. I first met him 20 years ago and have had contact off and on with him since then. He and his people are excellent martial artists. Sifu Yang trained in several styles of praying mantis before he trained with GM Liu. Every year Sifu Yang holds a tournament in memory of GM Liu.
    As for Ba Ji, I don't care for it, but that doesn't mean it is not an effective martial art. It is just not my cup of tea.

Since Liu Yunqiao made it part of his curriculum. "Wu-tan" in this case refers to the international martial arts organization that he founded but ALSO refers to the mountain.

Baji-fist,

No. It is actually the same exact characters as in "Wudang Shan". That mountain is what the name refers to. Since master Liu's primary training is all in Wudang arts, Baji, Taiji, and Bagua, he named his school after the legendary source of them all.

Mantis was added because of his defeat at the hands of a Mantis master even after he had been going around the country feeling pretty invincible beating all comers for some time. Then this old Mantis dude schooled him and he decided to add Mantis to his curriculum.

Where does his Tai Tzu Chang Chuan fit into this?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Mantis and Wutan

A couple of issues here Number one Gm LIU trainrd Six harmonies with a friend and not because of defeat. The remainder of the huge amount of praying mantis used in Wutan (and there is alot) comes from the Mantis King who is a member of Wu Tan and a disciple of GM liu, GM Su Yu Chang www.pachitanglang.com.

WuTan is an association that consists of the best of Northern CMA to complete its original goal of Defending those that need defended. Praying Mantis is one of those styles but is not the only style taught in Wutan or Wutang.

The fact that Gm SU and his Mantis is part of this curriculum is proof that the acceptance of excellence is the goal of this wonderful organization. GM Liu was a Baji, Xing Yi, Mizong, BaGua, Tai Ji, and Six Harmonies expert along with other styles, however one must remember that GM Su who has compiled all 5 major substyles of mantis into one house was his student.

THat should be enough to answer the questions on the quality of the system.

Also, the Taiwanese government was satisfied with the training provided by Wutan for its bodyguards and military forces,

And if you go into our history you will find a long line of bodyguards and famous (as well as infamous) Martial arts masters.

Our association is also known for its tight brotherhood and although many of the famous masters affiliated rarely speak out on this forum they are reading and are aware of the overall temperment of the CMA community.

Also let it be known that i am a young member of this organization and only speak from the knowledge i have attained up until this date.
    Last edited by Sifu Darkfist; 12-30-2006 at 12:25 AM. Reason: mistake

3 questions.

What's your source on his reasons for taking up PM? I read about the challenge fight from his own personal accounts.

Also, what is your relationship to Tony Yang? Your reffering to him as "grandmaster" suggests he is your teacher's teacher but then again, maybe you are just trying to give him additional respect and he is only your teacher.

Lastly, what specific authority do you have to represent Master Yang in public? I am not directly related to the Wu-tan organization but am still pretty curious.

edit:
    lol. I just posted that that wasn't Tony Yang but I was looking at the dude in the chair. The young man standing behind Liu is probably the youngest looking Tony Yang I have ever seen.

Just from the title, I assumed the pic was you and "grandmaster Yang" and didn't recognize the people in the pic.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 12-30-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Hello

Well I am a disciple of Yang Xiao Dong. to start with. Also i am aware that Gm Liu Sparred with friends and as i said before i am not a definitive source but i do know that combatitively as in real fighting, he really faced few obstacles in the martial arts world.

I can, do far more research and i also intend to. However the learning Six Harmonies from a freind is correct this i have gotten from the words of my master as well as other masters who would have no reason to lie.

I Use GrandMaster to show the deepest level of loyalty and respect toward my master. In my understanding to hold one as a grandfather figure even if he is your father ist show you feel his wisdom has gone beyond his years.
    i am sorry if it bothers you.

The implcation that GM Liu "Needed" PM to complete his martial arts was the specific problem i had with your quote. Any man can lose any where at any time to any one, i should know the first several years of my martial arts life were painful as well as humbling. However to question the completeness based upon this world wide truth would be unfair also.

However, if you have an account that states of a defeat i am a historian and i would love to examine it.

Something about your method of writing leads me to believe that i spoke to you in the past am i mistaken?

Wu Tan means the place or platform for MA.

1. there is a CMA promotion and development center in Taipei.

2. university chapters: they consist of Kuo Shu club in universities and colleges.

3. oversea branches: former students going to different countries and start schools of their own.

The idea is to preserve and promote CMA to the college students and general public. The other aspect is to learn from each other and research and development.

styles:

1. Baji/Pi Gua from Li Shu Wen to Liu.

2. Yin Fu Ba Gua from Gong Bao Tian to Liu.

3. 6 harmonies mantis, Ding Zi Cheng to Zhang Xian Shan and Liu.

4. Tan Tui from Hang Ching Tang to Adam Hsu.

--

each student brought a style/styles and learn other styles etc.

--

So if you attend one of the affiliated schools, just pick a style and start some basics and go from there. nobody is expected to learn everything over nite. Some would take a life time just to practice and learn one style. LOL.

Best of luck.