Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wa Lum Continuous Broadsword

Wa Lum Continuous Broadsword

I found this on you tube. Do those of you who are familiar with this set consider this to be the normal version or has this been somewhat customized? Just wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qspix...elated&search=
    Always learning

Close, alittle off

My comments are posted there. I was a bit rough. It looked to me like he learned it from video or something.

Not very clean, blocks missing and some moves not quit right. I don't think he's Wah Lum but learned it probably second hand from a student.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Meh... I'm hesitant to attack someone when I don't know the details, but I feel pretty much the same as Yao Sing. It's certainly close enough that you know the form he's trying to do, but if you asked me to rate the quality of the performance, I'd put it in the 'fast and sloppy' category as opposed to the 'demonstrating a firm grasp of the applications' category.

As an aside, I've always felt that when you're asked to perform in a parking lot where video cameras will be present, you should intentionally mash things around a little so that traditional forms don't show up being performed by karate students at tournaments in high school gyms, but I don't think that's what we're seeing here. When I've been asked to do impromptu performances at events like the one in this video, I've always done semi-madeup forms that are a composite of a variety of things.

Back to my practice... always more practice!

- CS

looks pretty much like how its done in the tampa wah lum school. very little difference.
    ________
    EXTREME Q VAPORIZER
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop Socki View Post
    you should intentionally mash things around a little so that traditional forms don't show up being performed by karate students at tournaments in high school gyms,

- CS
    Should we really care about that? I just want to practice kung fu for my health and well being. What do I care if someone copies me.
    Always learning

I have to agree with Donkwoon. We are living in a time where we have to worry about someone stealing our moves to use against us or anything like that. So meh...

Besides we live in an age of information. If someone wants to find something enough, they are going to find it. Aside from that, it seems today everyone in public, tourneys, etc. are all doing butchered up forms to add flare and flower just to win. Granted if that's your goal more power to you. But I take some small amount of pride in knowing that while I might not look as pretty as other guys, my moves are legit and I'm showing the best kung fu I can with my own emphasized points. Those being good, solid movement with real technical application.

Very sloppy and almost no stances but it looks pretty much the way I learned it except for the way hops over the sword. One thing I learned from my time in Wah Lum was that almost all of their sifus teach the forms a little different.

Should you care? Hard to say. I respect Master Chan's right to keep his traditional material close, and I believe he has some level of expectation that those who learn it thru him share that respect.

When it's mine, I give it freely. When it's someone else's, I respect their wishes. I'm fine with you not caring though.

- CS

I used to be a lot more old school in terms of how I thought about that stuff untill I lived for a while way out in the country where hardly anyone cares about kung fu either way. I respect the knowledge but if I actualy found someone out here that cares enough about learning TCMA to go through the trouble of copying me, I'd just be delighted to have found someone who's interested.

Perhaps I'm just jaded.
    Always learning

You're talking about something different now... at least, I think you are, based on your hypothetical situation. If it's someone who wants to learn traditional martial arts and will respect the integrity and history of the system, then by all means, pass on what you've learned. My own example referenced what I've seen personally - people from other styles doing Wah Lum forms that they learned from video tapes, the sole purpose being to win tournaments held in high school gyms because they think the moves - even if done incorrectly - look flashy.

Besides:

I just want to practice kung fu for my health and well being.
    It's a great sentiment that I share with you, but is performing traditional material in parking lots required to make this happen?

Practice, more practice!

- CS

"It's a great sentiment that I share with you, but is performing traditional material in parking lots required to make this happen?"

some schools think so...besides sometimes people need extra beer money.
    ________
    ANIME MOVIE
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.

There's a move missing before the first flower. It's not perfect by any means but it's the bare bones structure of continuous...

-LF
    Amitabha

Exclamation B

Continuous is a great form. Definitely not a Wah Lum guy, they have a few forms on Youtube that look Wah Lum but they’re not Wah Lum, students. Not sure how I feel about the hop, but I can say that I train at Wah Lum Tampa and my Continuous is a lot cleaner then that… as is most of my brothers>>>
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Anybody know the name of the drum beat song that is going along with it? I want to find it on CD somewhere for purchase.