Thread: Need a Shaolin-expert (USA branches)...

Need a Shaolin-expert (USA branches)...

My nephew is looking to start training.

Unfortunately, except for a Judo club and the College Shotokan club, Pensacola (FL) is a dry zone for martial arts (I do not count the 30 or so TKDon't schools willing to babysit for $45/month).

About 40 minutes away, in Mobile (AL), there is a Shaolin-based school, with (according to them) impressive credentials.

I know <nothing about Shaolin, so I don't trust my ability to spot a turkey in that field (and I'm 1500km away at the moment).

So, I turn to the KFO Shaolin gurus for a reference.

School in question:

http://www.liuinstitute.com/

Their training syllabus: http://www.liuinstitute.com/press/Cu...ted%202004.pdf

Legit and worthwhile, or McDojo?
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 12-31-2006 at 02:16 AM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Shawn Liu aka Shi De Ru is the real deal, and therefore the school should be good; I'd just check who teaches most classes, if De Ru himself or some instructors, and if so what is their competency.

Wall
    Last edited by wall; 12-31-2006 at 03:34 AM.
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

there's a couple people here on the board who train with him. he is very good. i would reccomend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Thanks, guys. I'll have him check it out. Anyone know the price range (I'll be picking up the tab as a belated Christmas present)?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

they have a phone number give them a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Shawn Liu has been working it lately

I've seen his school come up in the news feeds quite a bit over the last week - some new mall or something. But this article seemed worthy of posting.

Lafourche sheriff’s deputy practices kung fu lifestyle
    By Raymond Legendre
    Staff Writer

Published: Monday, August 24, 2009 at 11:00 a.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, August 24, 2009 at 11:26 a.m.

THIBODAUX — He practices kung fu while tying the knot on his tie, telling a joke to a co-worker and making mental notes about an investigation — none of which require fists of fury or airborne kicks.

Kung fu is more than feats of outward grace and power in Jeff Bordelon’s eyes.

“I look at kung fu as a way of living,” said Bordelon, a special investigator for the Lafourche Sheriff’s Office. “The passion I have for martial arts goes beyond what you see on television and what you see in the commercial world.”

Bordelon, a Bayou Blue resident, credits his training in the ancient Far East martial art of Shaolin kung fu for giving him clarity under pressure and a deep respect for others. Both allow him to perform better in his job, he said.

Bordelon, an 11-year Sheriff’s Office veteran, teaches Shaolin kung fu to more than 40 students, ages 5 to 54, at Body Elite in Houma.

Shaolin kung fu, which originated centuries ago from the Shaolin Temple in China, does not reward fighters’ growth with belts. Instead, it ranks participants as prospects, students, pre-disciples and disciples.

Bordelon is a pre-disciple to Grand Master Liu Xiang Yang, who he first met in 2004.

He estimates he spends eight to 10 hours weekly at the gym, using much of the time to “educate and cultivate” his students.

“He cares about people,” said Yang, who is known to students as Shawn Liu. “That’s very important. He always wants to improve himself and improve others and to discipline others.”

Bordelon became serious about martial arts at age 16, about the time his instructors deemed him to be a natural talent.

Bordelon began teaching in 1992 at the Southern Kung Fu Academy in Metairie. He continued till 1998, when he joined the Lafourche Sheriff’s Office. He has served as a patrol deputy, detective, correctional officer and, most recently, a special investigator.

He also taught hand-to-hand defensive techniques to prospective officers at the Lafourche Sheriff’s Training Academy in Thibodaux. In that role, he reminded trainees that their brains are often a more effective weapon than their hands.

“What most people don’t realize is that the majority of this work as law-enforcement officers is 90 percent mental and 10 percent fighting,” Bordelon said.

Bordelon’s teachings are easy to grasp and highly informative, said the academy’s head instructor, Sgt. David Robichaux. He added Bordelon remains humble about his expertise.

“He shares his knowledge very well,” Robichaux said. “That’s just because he cares.”

Bordelon says he’s not sure what his martial-arts future holds.

“There is no next level other than waking up every morning,” Bordelon said. “There’s no belt to obtain, no title to obtain, it’s living life everyday. ... Every day is an advancement because we learn something new.”

Staff Writer Raymond Legendre can be reached at 448-7617 or raymond.legendre@houmatoday.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

cool. so gene, what listserve are you on to receive kung fu news from the middle of louisiana

Sweet article. If there were more real kung fu schools, more police would train it.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

I always find it odd that most police departments (if not all) do not have comprehensive martial training rolled into their job routines.

LEO's for the most part have to seek out that sort of training outside of their place of employment.

same with military guys!
    Kung Fu is good for you.