Thread: School in NYC(traditional/application)

Hybrid View

School in NYC(traditional/application)

Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I am interested in find a instructor in NYC. I have a bit of martial arts experience and have won a number of competitions in judo and tae kwon do when I was in my teens. I have since taken a break from martial arts. I would now like to rejoin the world of martial arts, but now with something a bit more "artful".

I am look for a instructor that will train me in traditional forms and application. Being in NYC I have seen a lot of schools and I know most of them aren't really authentic and would just rather take my monthly fee and slap a belt on me every now and then. I am not looking to get "Belts" I am looking to learn a art with roots in combat.

thanks in advance for your help,
    John

Searching for Mantis Sifu

You will need to see Sifu Raul Ortiz he is in NYC and will do a great job of teaching you good Mantis Basics and if you stay around long enough some very nice forms as well.

Ortiz Chinese Boxing Academy is that him? Also in my search I found Tony Chuy, how is his instruction?

NYC Sifu

You might check out:

http://www.northernmantis.com/home.html

Sifu Tony Chuy has trained under Brendan Lai and Chui Chuk Kai, but well respected in the Mantis world.

Jim

Looks like we were posting at the same time. Your note wasn't there when I was writing mine up.

I have never met Sifu Chuy, so I can't comment on his instruction... only on his lineage.

Good luck in your search.

Jim

School in NYC

I do not know if that is his academy name as I met Mr. Ortiz many many years ago and we had talked and got along pretty good and we exchanged some training pointers and forms but this was a real long time ago. As for the other gentleman who's name was mentioned I would study under him as well as he should be very great as well. My first Master when I was in Vietnam was GrandMaster Chui Chuk Kai and I loved the training and later studied under his disciples when he left, then I went to South Korea and studied under GrandMaster Fung and then many years later under another Master in Korea. If you can find anyone who learned from them or one of their students taught by them you will be very well trained.
    I wish you luck in your pursuit, Take care and be well.
    Last edited by Phuc Carem; 01-02-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be checking out the schools when I return from my trip to Wa.

Quote Originally Posted by fr0st003 View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I am interested in find a instructor in NYC. I have a bit of martial arts experience and have won a number of competitions in judo and tae kwon do when I was in my teens. I have since taken a break from martial arts. I would now like to rejoin the world of martial arts, but now with something a bit more "artful".

I am look for a instructor that will train me in traditional forms and application. Being in NYC I have seen a lot of schools and I know most of them aren't really authentic and would just rather take my monthly fee and slap a belt on me every now and then. I am not looking to get "Belts" I am looking to learn a art with roots in combat.

thanks in advance for your help,
    John
    I have had little time to post and i might be late but this is worth the tardy reply
    for what you seek i would suggest 2 places either http://www.wutang.org/
    or http://www.pachitanglang.com/ both are internationally renowed for the combination of applications / tradition . The latter is GM Su YU Chang aka Lightining Fist and is one of the definitive sources on N Praying Mantis

the former is GM MArlon Ma's school and is pretty much the same system but with a different emphasis on arts. both are equally good as far as instruction goes. I guess it boils down to where you are.
    James

try Shuai Jiao:

www.ShuaiJiaoNY@hotmail.com
    115 W27th Street, 6th floor
    Sundays- 12-2pm

mantis monk, where in the UK do you live?