Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School in NYC(traditional/application)

School in NYC(traditional/application)

Hello, this is my first post on these forums. I am interested in find a instructor in NYC. I have a bit of martial arts experience and have won a number of competitions in judo and tae kwon do when I was in my teens. I have since taken a break from martial arts. I would now like to rejoin the world of martial arts, but now with something a bit more "artful".

I am look for a instructor that will train me in traditional forms and application. Being in NYC I have seen a lot of schools and I know most of them aren't really authentic and would just rather take my monthly fee and slap a belt on me every now and then. I am not looking to get "Belts" I am looking to learn a art with roots in combat.

thanks in advance for your help,
    John

Searching for Mantis Sifu

You will need to see Sifu Raul Ortiz he is in NYC and will do a great job of teaching you good Mantis Basics and if you stay around long enough some very nice forms as well.

Ortiz Chinese Boxing Academy is that him? Also in my search I found Tony Chuy, how is his instruction?

NYC Sifu

You might check out:

http://www.northernmantis.com/home.html

Sifu Tony Chuy has trained under Brendan Lai and Chui Chuk Kai, but well respected in the Mantis world.

Jim

Looks like we were posting at the same time. Your note wasn't there when I was writing mine up.

I have never met Sifu Chuy, so I can't comment on his instruction... only on his lineage.

Good luck in your search.

Jim

School in NYC

I do not know if that is his academy name as I met Mr. Ortiz many many years ago and we had talked and got along pretty good and we exchanged some training pointers and forms but this was a real long time ago. As for the other gentleman who's name was mentioned I would study under him as well as he should be very great as well. My first Master when I was in Vietnam was GrandMaster Chui Chuk Kai and I loved the training and later studied under his disciples when he left, then I went to South Korea and studied under GrandMaster Fung and then many years later under another Master in Korea. If you can find anyone who learned from them or one of their students taught by them you will be very well trained.
    I wish you luck in your pursuit, Take care and be well.
    Last edited by Phuc Carem; 01-02-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be checking out the schools when I return from my trip to Wa.

Tony Chuy shcool does a lot of applications and they teach traditionaly. They don't spar for something like 8 years but they do a lot of application. And their forms look good.

does it have to be mantis or any kung fu? there are a couple good eagle claw guys in nyc if i remember correctly. ill ask my sifu for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Carl Albright is in Brooklyn - seven star lineage; he's the real deal.

http://www.lawclansman.com/

Mantis Training

All of the above mentioned Masters are the real deal.

real deals

Agreed - my comments regarding the Brooklyn school was not intended to disclude the aforementioned sifus or schools.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Tony Chuy shcool does a lot of applications and they teach traditionaly. They don't spar for something like 8 years but they do a lot of application. And their forms look good.

Now I know why kung fu people get their butts kicked

Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai

If you are looking for traditional and combat effective style try James Cama Sifu at 225 Park Row NYC in Chinatown Sports Club Mon. & Wed. 8:00 to 10:00pm. He is the lineage disciple under Robert Lee who is a direct disciple of Grand Master Lam Sang of the Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong long Pai (Southern Praying Mantis). 347 495-6992
    www.jooklummantis.com
    Last edited by Sam; 01-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.

lui1828

Quote Originally Posted by lui1828 View Post
    Now I know why kung fu people get their butts kicked
    What martial art do you study and what criteria do you think a
    student should have for free sparring? Do you think it is fair for you to
    judge our fighting abilities without knowing anything about us? Have you
    visited our school? Spoken to our Sifu or students? Please feel free to
    come by and observe a class before making such remarks.