Thread: speed bag/heavy bag

1. speed bag/heavy bag

im sure some of you here train using speed bag/ heavy bag, im pretty new to the CMA (7* mantis ) alittle over a year and was just wondering if any of you here train with these bags, more common to western boxing, any tips an advice aside from the basics that can be pointed out to me would be appreciated
    martial arts and music share the same principles, both wrestle with complex chords and rare melodies.
    http://www.myspace.com/punkrockmantis

Sure, I will bite. I am pretty sure if the masters of old could have had a speed bag, they would have, they are great. Stick with basic speed bag work, and dont try anything fancy for a long time, and you will build good eyes and reflexes in your hands. Then pick some movements out of your sets and start using them to hit the bag with, for instance, finger jabs, back fists, ward off movements, etc. You can also use it to practice moving into and out of elbow range from punching range once you are used to it.
    -Golden Arms-

Speedbag/punching bag

Yes as Golden Arms stated for now work on the basics on the speed bag, later you can do finger, wrist, and elbow strikes etc. Punching bag the same as well as proper punching techniques and combos such as strike between the eyes, then throat, then sternum/groin then right floater rib then left floater rib ect forearm strikes as well as knife edge and Phoenix eye strikes ect. This will all help you.
    Take care and be well

As for the heavy bag, I will try to give you a pretty good general routine.

Start with doing 3x3 minute rounds, with a maximum of 1 minute rest in between. Hit the bag as hard as you can, continuously, for the entire time and breathe out as you hit. Dont worry about structure, stances, or anything else, just unload and feel what it feels like to hit hard. Do this regularly for 6 months to a year if possible. By then you will be hitting pretty hard, and also able to feel how force travels through your body, how to adjust your posture to gain more from less expense of energy, etc. The bag can you teach more than you would imagine if you learn how to listen to it. Then take techniques that you like from your system, integrate them into your rounds, and from then on you have a tool that allows you to learn how to train most of your movements up to a point where you can get some decent damage output out of them.
    -Golden Arms-