Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of the standing arm break...

The myth of the standing arm break...

Kind of a spinoff from another thread... How many people have learned techniques that are supposed to break someone's arm, either while standing or on the way to the ground.

The fact is, you will almost never be able to purposely break someone's arm in this manner if they are even somewhat skilled and/or strong and providing resistance. While these types of breaks do occasionally occur, they are almost always accidental.

Any breaks that one can perform "on purpose" will be those that one can do while controlling the opponent on the ground, rather than when standing or throwing.

i think, depending on the situation, the opportunity may present itself.

against a trained fighter? no. not very likely.

some drunk fool, who has his hands on you. there is a possiblity.

not all battles will be against a strong and skilled adversary.

though i agree that trying to impliment these types of techniques in an even match is very risky and foolish, that is not to say i believe all matches to be even.

my philosophy:

when presented with possible options for engagement and reaction, the most simple option, is more often the correct choice to utilize, as its chances for success increase dramatically compared to very detailed, advnaced and involved techniques.

so with that being said, even if i felt positive i could break some fools arm, i would not try it.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Not a myth. I've done it.

However, a really skilled stand-up grappler is very unlikely to get caught in it, or for it to be effective as a break.

Perhaps you just aren't very good at it or don't understand how to make it work.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Perhaps you just aren't very good at it or don't understand how to make it work.
    .......LOL!!!!!

I do agree that the simpler the usage, the more likely you will suceed. Although there are a great many skills that are simple. Often to me when people talk 'complex' they are really referring to 'unrealistic scenario'.

It's the legacy of the waiting lunge punch from JMA and KMA. The reality of the energy of a fight, the lines of extensin and reaction are much more important to understand than trying to stop a 'dead' arm.

There are things I consider simple that others view as complex, but it is a matter of familiarity. It goes the other way too. I see good fighters who do stuff I consider complex, but to them it is simple.

But then there are the fantasy pajama pants crowd. Which I think you are rferring to.

As a side note, I've noticed Muay Thai guys are the easiest to arm bar (due to thier emphasis in training - and of course, not ALL of them) and wrestlers and (good) tai chi guys are virtually impossile to establish a standing arm bar/break.
    www.kungnation.com

I know KF, it's always humerous to tout ones shortcomings, but you really should give yourself more credit...
    www.kungnation.com

How dare you imply that Knife isnt skilled in something..I was under the impression he knows and can prove wrong personally even material from martial arts that he has never practiced...Hell I am pretty sure he can prove the entire system of Baguazhang doesnt work just by watching a clip of it on youtube. You are dealing with an expert here.
    -Golden Arms-

I have broken ribs on two seperate opponants, one was a TKD blackbelt instructor with his own school in NY, the other a 275lbs with over 15 years of Kali, Wing Chun and JKD training. Oh, and most recently the nose of a BJJ purple belt.

I have never broken an arm on an opponant and God knows I have tried. The arm is very easy to pull back into a strong and secure structure, it can also be saved by using the very mobile waist to change position/relationship.

Very uncool and unnecessary to attack someone who: a) posted something true, practical to know and relevant and b) who has more practical experience than most here.

The best way to get a break while standing is to scoop the others arm to where their elbow rests inside your elbow and swing like an uppercut and drive off the foot. Someone posted an awesome video of this being pulled off in Japan I think during an MMA event.

do you have a link to that video by chance ray?

that would be interesting to see
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Never say never...just because you don't train it or don't see it...doesn't mean it won't work. If you apply a proper hold and are sensitive and can feel where the person is going in their resistance, then I think you can restrain someone in a standing position and if you so desire, break their arm from that position. Several things come up though: putting them to the ground is a much better place to control them. When one resists it is easier to apply a hold than if they are loose and flow with the movement. In a full out fightin situation, striking is much preferable from my perspective. IN a sudden self-defense situation, using restraints can be a good option and surprise followed by breaking limbs can be implemented...a shoulder break, an elbow break, etc.

That said, why do you want to break someone's arm? Is it not enough to restrain them? I suppose the situation would dictate the course of action but I think it is possible to break someone's limbs standing up.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post

you will almost never be able to purposely break someone's arm in this manner if they are even somewhat skilled and/or strong and providing resistance
    glad at least you used a modifier

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...98734503&hl=en

By the way, Aoki has sick takedowns and still jumps guard and jumps arm bar
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

My old sifu broke one of his students arms. I saw it. It was one of the bones of the forearm. Sifu was demonstrating a hammer fist technique. The student raised his arm to block and got his arm broken. It wasn't severe but you could tell that something was wrong with his arm the way he instantly protected it. The next class, there he is with a cast on his arm.

Would you guys say there is a difference between a bone break and a joint dislocation? That video was very impressive but I would say that all of his techniques were joint dislocations and not bone breaks.

Flying armbar is cool!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    glad at least you used a modifier

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...98734503&hl=en

By the way, Aoki has sick takedowns and still jumps guard and jumps arm bar
    nice vid man.

KF check the 5:05 point....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    My old sifu broke one of his students arms. I saw it. It was one of the bones of the forearm. Sifu was demonstrating a hammer fist technique. The student raised his arm to block and got his arm broken. It wasn't severe but you could tell that something was wrong with his arm the way he instantly protected it. The next class, there he is with a cast on his arm.

Would you guys say there is a difference between a bone break and a joint dislocation? That video was very impressive but I would say that all of his techniques were joint dislocations and not bone breaks.

Flying armbar is cool!
    definately dislocate. but still. if you can get the leverage to dislocate a pro fighters arm in a match...a break isnt far off.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Blog Entries
    Simple example,

- Your opponent uses single leg shooting and trying to get your right leg.
    - You spin your body to your right and use your left knee to strike at his right elbow when his right hand has touched your right leg and his right arm is fully extended.

Please don't argue that this move won't work against a skillful shooter (I know some of you guys do like to argue). Try to repeat this move 100 times with your training partner and see what kind of "successful rate" that you have and then draw your own conclusion. Just something for you to try by yourself.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-03-2007 at 03:06 PM.