Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The myth of the standing arm break...

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nope. Try again. Not even close.
    LOL @ clueless Abel, a guy who has probably never pulled off an arm lock against a resisting opponent in his life, telling me I am "not even close".

Bwhwhahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post

So for those of us the believe that standing arm breaks/hyper extensions work, when is the best time to use one?
    IMO

when you outclass your opponent/assailant, the moment presents itself, you have the confidence with your technique, if this type of bodily damage is required to end a situation/match.

strict requirements for techniques strictly governed by low success rate.

IMO the outclassing of your opponent is the key factor, next to training.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    this is great!

it even happens at the school level.... lol

Take me to the ground, so you got no place to run(crawl) , to escape. Makes it easy for my posse to pull a train on your azz.

a quote from " your average gang banger"...

Quote Originally Posted by hung-le View Post
    this is great!

Take me to the ground, so you got no place to run(crawl) , to escape. Makes it easy for my posse to pull a train on your azz.

And yet, if you argue that this is the reason CMA doesn't like grappling around on the ground, people say you're stupid.

Honestly I think all you BJJ nutriders gotta get a clue. You're half pint short of a cup.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    And yet, if you argue that this is the reason CMA doesn't like grappling around on the ground, people say you're stupid.

Honestly I think all you BJJ nutriders gotta get a clue. You're half pint short of a cup.
    As someone who lives in Detroit

I agree...

last time I checked, thugs run in packs

The Thread Killa!!!!

I know how to end this thread. We've haven't seen the pink elephant in the room...and it's really obvious....

Knifefighter, you'll appreciate this...haha....

We practice "breaks" because they're part of the forms we learn. They might not be widely applicable, but since they're in the forms, they're practiced. It's called application. Like many of our occultic "secret tactics", they're not that good for most people. We all know what you think of forms, so we need not even ask what your opinion is of an unreliable tactic contained in a form. To you, it's all hogwash. But I can say this--at least we're practicing something, rather than just dancing...haha...

But here's the skinny of it. Reliable or not, useful or not. Some Chinese dude in the past was good at breaking arms. So this was obviously a good tactic for him. Some other dudes got good at it. They broke a few arms. They put it in their forms. They broke some more arms. Most likely, these dudes primarily fought in kung-fu matches, against kung-fu practitioners. Hence, these tactics are good against kung-fu practitioners. Maybe not against MMA'ers, but the UFC wasn't around back then. Maybe we're suckers for bad tactics.

Sorry guys, I'm feeling kind of generous today. Happy birthday, Knifefighter.

CMA guys won't like this answer. But it's the straight dope. Knifefighter wins. Forms do contain some unreliable solutions. But who knows, maybe someday you'll throw a lazy jab and someone will prove you wrong.

Forms are traditional. Learning all applications is part of the tradition. MMA doesn't really care for tradition. It cares about effectiveness. Personally, I like the traditions. Even the useless ones. I find them useful. There's something deeper in learning from the past. Just like in science. You can learn everything "true" from today's best minds, but you won't know how those minds were able to achieve what they have without knowing how the mathematics and sciences of the past functioned in order to prep the way. You've gotta know your geometry and algebra in order to chart the latest supernova, or to guage interplanetary movement. You've gotta know your geometry and algebra in order to understand your Calculus. It's all syncretic, dude.

To paraphrase an old kung-fu proverb: You're looking at your c0ck, Knifefighter. You've missed the heavenly glory.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

So have at it hot shot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Tell you what... if you can pull off a standing arm lock on me, I'll pay your plane fare.
    lol...lol... that's like saying " I bet you can't punch me in the face" using the following rules.. you only get one punch and I say when and where you get to punch from...

It just dawned on me .......I'm wondering how would you find the time for this.

With over 200 MMA bouts under your belt…That about four years worth (fighting every weekend as I see it.) Your ongoing hardcore mma training: to include being a master with stick(s): master with the knife(s): personnel friend of Dan Inosanto, confidant to the Dog Brothers, and oh yea… being a "professional Kungfu online commentator”...with almost 3000 posts here on kungfu online…that’s a lot of post every day.

Are you sure you got the time…?

this is great!

LOL @ thinking the same guy couldn't have done the same thing with a sucker punch from behind while the guy was standing and exchanging with his opponent.

You guys are truly clueless.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-09-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Your description of how one does a technique like a struggling weakling is humorous.

lol...lol... that's like saying " I bet you can't punch me in the face" using the following rules.. you only get one punch and I say when and where you get to punch from...

It just dawned on me .......I'm wondering how would you find the time for this.
    With over 200 MMA bouts under your belt…That about four years worth (fighting every weekend as I see it.) Your ongoing hardcore mma training: to include being a master with stick(s): master with the knife(s): personnel friend of Dan Inosanto, confidant to the Dog Brothers, and oh yea… being a "professional Kungfu online commentator”...with almost 3000 posts here on kungfu online…that’s a lot of post every day.
    Are you sure you got the time…?
    I normally train every day... I'm sure I could fit him into a session.

BTW:
    200+ matches (not all MMA- learn to read)/25 years = 9 matches per year.
    Stickfigting and knife work for 25 years = somewhat of a high level.
    Trained with Dan for 8 years = know him pretty well.
    Dog Brothers gatherings 7 or 8 years: no confidant, though.
    3000 posts = much wasted time at work over too many years wasting much time arguing with idiots = idiot myself.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-09-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Some Chinese dude in the past was good at breaking arms.
    The fact that it is supposedly in a form has nothing to do with whether or not some Chinese dude was good at breaking arms.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-09-2007 at 06:25 PM.

The fact that it is supposedly in a form has nothing to do with whether or not some Chinese dude was good at breaking arms.
    Isn't it!?!?!? Form follows function. It didn't just "come to me in a dream". You still seem to be under the impression that this stuff was created in somebody's back yard the day before a tournament at the local high school.

Thats may be your history, but don't peg that crime on everybody.

There are just so many of these technoques, in so many different ways, it seems hard to fathom that they were all "invented" for show.

Tell you what... if you can pull off a standing arm lock on me, I'll pay your plane fare.
    Now you're confusing standing arm locks with a break. Your paradigm is shrinking, or is that your penis, oops.

Poor misinformed Knifefighter. Don't you realize that if our Grandmaster pulled off a standing arm break 150 years ago we TMA people automatically get that ability just by doing forms or kata? A trick that you MMA fighters haven't learned yet.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Isn't it!?!?!? Form follows function. It didn't just "come to me in a dream". You still seem to be under the impression that this stuff was created in somebody's back yard the day before a tournament at the local high school.
    Most of it was probably created over a long period of time based on what theoretical fighters thought should happen when fighting, rather than what they actually did... because they probably weren't fighting much. Real fighters have figured out it doesn't make sense to try to put things into forms.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-10-2007 at 07:59 AM.