Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of the standing arm break...

I'd say it isn't impossible to break an arm standing (as proven by Aoki, possibly one of the best MMA'ers today). But it is a lot harder to get the leverage to do so when your opponent is free to move. Your options of pinning your opponent down and limiting his escapes are severely diminished when you are standing.

Plus the same really goes for this technique as for any other technique that you wouldn't do on your training partners (unless you're a douchebag), it will never get trained and thus very seldomly get used in any kind of real situation (let alone made to work). You fight how you train, and straight out breaking someones arm isn't something that you can train (and yes it's quite different from training joint locks i'd say, since there's really no intermediate stage where your opponent can tap since he feels the pressure/pain).
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

LOL @ that being a purposeful arm break. He simply was moving into a Russion two-on-one tie up- something you will see multiple times in most wrestling tourneys.

As I said, most standing arm breaks will be accidental, as was that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    i wonder when Richard Dawkins is going to write The Kung Fu Delusion book.
    Exactly...
    Why am I not surprised at all the the kung fu internet warriors jumping out of the woodwork claiming to have broken people's arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Exactly...
    Why am I not surprised at all the the kung fu internet warriors jumping out of the woodwork claiming to have broken people's arms?
    I had a sifu almost break my arm once in practice, just showing me one simple arm break technique because he didn't let go soon enough, so I'd have to say it's probably possible at least with the technique he was doing. I've never done it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    I had a sifu almost break my arm once in practice, just showing me one simple arm break technique because he didn't let go soon enough, so I'd have to say it's probably possible at least with the technique he was doing. I've never done it, though.
    Of course you can do it on a complying partner who is giving you his arm.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Simple example,

- Your opponent uses single leg shooting and trying to get your right leg.
    - You spin your body to your right and use your left knee to strike at his right elbow when his right hand has touched your right leg and his right arm is fully extended.
    Bwhahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    Ah, another deadly "combat" technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Dislocating an elbow takes much more force than breaking a radius, and has a MUCH more catastrophic and immediate effect.
    As for impossible? Breaking/dislocating the arm is relatively easy, it's getting into a postion that is difficult. This requires a fairly high level of sensitivity training, and again, if your opponent has an equally high level it will be very difficult, but if your opponent has a skill level very close to yours ANYTHING will be difficult.
    As I always say, if he's better than you then he's going to beat you.
    Dislocating the elbow takes more force than breaking the radius?
    Um, I don't think so. It's exactly the opposite.
    That's why most arm bars dislocate the elbow and don't break the radius.

Of course you can do it on a complying partner who is giving you his arm.
    Actually, no, at the time I wasn't giving him my arm. I was telling him that I thought what he was doing with a technique wouldn't work, so he said, Okay, Resist ... resisting actually made it worse and to top it off because he was trying to prove it would probably work he tweaked the thing and my joint popped.

I think if he had moved about 2 more inches it would have snapped.

And no, it wasn't the usual chi-na aikijitsu crap.

Anyways, KF, I'll give you that probably most standing arm breaks in most MAs probably won't work against people with training, but this particular arm break doesn't rely on that. Particularly vicious and easy to do, so I won't even state the technique except it's not a chi-na or usual aikijitsu technique.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-03-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Actually, no, at the time I wasn't giving him my arm. I was telling him that I thought what he was doing with a technique wouldn't work, so he said, Okay, Resist ... resisting actually made it worse and to top it off because he was trying to prove it would probably work he tweaked the thing and my joint popped.

I think if he had moved about 2 more inches it would have snapped.

And no, it wasn't the usual chi-na aikijitsu crap.
    Ok, I'll bite... explain the technique.

Ok, I'll bite... explain the technique.
    Nope. It's way too vicious and easy to break. It doesn't rely on the usual forcing the elbow the wrong way.

Nope. It's way too vicious and easy to break. It doesn't rely on the usual forcing the elbow the wrong way.
    Bwhaqhahahahahaah!!!!
    Oh, now, in addition to the deadly kung fu "combat" techniques that can't be practiced against a resisting opponent, we now have the vicious and easy to use "super-secret deadly kung fu combat technique" that cannot even be talked about.....

Just when I think kung fu cannot get any more ridiculous.

Now the techniques are too lethal to talk about.

Bwhwhahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-03-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Knifefighter Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    Simple example,

- Your opponent uses single leg shooting and trying to get your right leg.
    - You spin your body to your right and use your left knee to strike at his right elbow when his right hand has touched your right leg and his right arm is fully extended.

Bwhahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    Ah, another deadly "combat" technique

can someone actually spin thier body faster than thier opponent's forward momentum?

And if they got close, seems like they would get tangled in a heap and go down anyway....

maybe this would work if the shoot or take down was done poor

Bwhaqhahahahahaah!!!!
    Oh, now, in addition to the deadly kung fu "combat" techniques that can't be practiced against a resisting opponent, we now have the technique that cannot even be talked about.....

Bwhwhahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    It's just too easy -- honestly I wouldn't want it getting out and people using it on me.

You know, KF, I used to post inflammatory posts as well about techniques, thinking people would spill information, but I don't think you'll get much information that way.

If your only reason for posting is just to inflame, or argue CMA is ineffective, then I guess you're succeeding.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-03-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hung-le View Post
    can someone actually spin thier body faster than thier opponent's forward momentum?
    Oh, yeah. The deadly "combat" SJ guys can do all kinds of techniques that mere mortals who practice their "safe" techniques against resisting opponents cannot do.

You know, KF, I used to post inflammatory posts as well about techniques, thinking people would spill information, but I don't think you'll get much information that way.
    Yeah, I sure am missing out on all those deadly and easy techniques that no one can talk about.
    I am sooooo disappointed.