Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Steppin up - training '07

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Jon,

Point can mean a couple of different things- the first is the one I'm talking about.

1). The position where both feet are together, a single point. Typically, a transitional point in footwork.

2). An ideal state of balance, not tied to any particular outer shape. When 'on point' you can take force and put it in the ground from any angle (to an extent), move in any direction freely, and express power from any point on the body, with minimal telegraph.

SJR- where do we put it though? If Jon wants we can move this to my blog, but, being KFO, there's no FMA forum here.

Andrew
    aaah, caught you online

yup, 1 is what it briefly got mentioned as on tuesday. i've heard you refer to it as 2 in emails/posts in the past, wanted clarification. 2 is a VERY nice piece of text, hmm maybe we should have a thread about universal principles of stance, posture, footwork

as for thread location, there is 'other related arts' forum? i hardly ever check it though, there's a nice blog there when i remember... i'm cool with it here, just people might not find it amongst the rounds of thai pads, wrestling circuits and perpetual injury. besides, its a bigger subject than anyone's blog, although andrewS does have other escrima discussion in it, so it could easily live there...

Jon,

I've been meaning to bug Mr Latosa about putting a forum up on his site- that would be the ideal place for such discussion in the long run. For the moment, if it's cool by you we can chat some here and on my blog as people chime in.

BTW- the low bong/roof vs #3 works, but isn't what we're doing over here- the box piece we use is a cut down #2 (inside defense) vs a #3. It gives more vertical coverage, keeps you in better position to double up with your following shot. Moreover, when you need to cover that line with a much lighter weapon vs a much heavier, motion and the cut down #2 will serve you much better as shucking off force with a mock bong won't fly with single stick vs staff, but the added shock from the offensive 'block' #2 plus moving can save you.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post

SJR- where do we put it though? If Jon wants we can move this to my blog, but, being KFO, there's no FMA forum here.

Andrew
    probably the "other arts" section or the 'reality based" one...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thurs

Appointment with Orthopeadic Surgeon

My old MRI from however long ago had a labrum tear from 2 oclock to 5 oclock, although this presents more like a SLAP (11 to 1?) so tear possibly extended. not getting another arthrogram, going straight in to surgery asap. Official waiting lists say that could be Feb '08, but i said i can do short notice/cancellations, fingers crossed it'll be quick. Its 3 weeks in a sling, drive again after 6 weeks, "normal" use after 6 months. I've scoured the web and competetive judoka, boxers and rugby players typically get back to where they were around a year...

My target is to be fit and healthy to start the am boxing season September 08...

Andrew,

no time, gotta run, but the low bonglike thing was explained to me as starting off a fig 8, so you start an attack based on a quadrant, using #2 was a 'default' option as its so natural a reaction and works...

jon.

Tues

Escrima

more striking technique practice, supressed hits
    with footwork
    basic defence/counters to 1,2,3,4,5
    added rear hand to trap and second hit for 1,2,3,4,5 counters

Groundwork

drilled some bits from bjj seminar last weekend
    then some more eddie bravo moves, this time from 'pyramid' position.

Wed

warm up

circuit :
    1 min lunges
    1 min crunches on ball
    1 min back extension on ball
    1 min rest
    5x through

1 min windshield wipers
    1 min side bends (+16kg kbell, 15 reps each side)
    1 min oblique crunches (30s each side)
    1 min rest
    3x through

stretching

really should sort out what i'm doing with training at the moment instead of spur of the moment stuff like this, but i'm not really feeling very disciplined at the moment 8-)

Tue

Missed escrima woulda been 3/4 hr late so sacked it off and got a bite to eat

Groundwork with training partner :

****ed about with his new gravity boots, got some click crack out of my spine...

worked through more rubber guard techniques. too tired to type it all out...

Mon

Led Zeppelin

yes, i was one of the 20,000 out of 2 million people who applied for tickets

the gig was awesome, not just some ageing rockers, they were at the peak of their game. best rock band in the world, no one else can touch them.

otherwise been pretty busy recently, hmmm, gotta snap out of this laziness...

Tues

1. Escrima

did about 5 mins of chi sao with someone before escrima started, aaah memories...

then, more hitting, trying to get cyclical motion on #2 strikes, not as easy as for #1. hit, hit, suppressed hit, repeat...

drills from point, block\strike V-pattern footwork

worked out how to do that drill with a guy who was left handed.

played with retreat and strike, turning the V-pattern into an X-pattern.

2. Groundwork

went over more eddie bravo material. did moves from Jiu Claw. finding more **** ups in his book... my christmas project is to rewrite his book hahaha.

reckon we'll have covered all the material over the next two sessions. we've basically just 'tasted' everything, got more work to do, but the 'twister' book arrived this morning, and top game needs work... my training partner is disgustingly flexible in the hips, but not strong positionally. might embark on twister material (eddie's top game) sooner to remedy this...

Tues

Groundwork.

Did sweeps from Jiu-Claw

Things have been pretty crazy recently for whatever reason, so not much training going on...

Choking mo'fo's out!!!

Someone found a clip of me on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1yVgfrXLgc

This is the submission match from the last tournament I did where I choked the guy out, but the person with us filming missed it...

Pretty funny

Getting choked the fk out!

Aaaah i just found they had the one i lost on there as well :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFFJ1cVxcg

That one I did get on film and bits went into the hilight i put on here before... I was ****ing nackered in this one, and my opponent was really strong... this was the semi-final, and he lost the final... the guy who got 1st just won gold in the no gi blue belt division in the bjj worlds in LA recently...

It's wierd watching these now, i've come on so much since then, before i (re)did my shoulder i tapped a few people i'd never got before in training, and my positional fundamentals were really a bit sloppy back then... This guy would still be a really tough match...

I'm dying to get back to proper training and competing

Wed

MMA

warm up
    round of shadow
    round of pummelling - taught to a newbie whos also an old friend

then we did a bunch of rounds of takedowns:
    double leg
    single leg
    two more variations

we had a circuit, 2 people out in the middle, one orthodox one southpaw, swapping... I didnt go in as dummy, and worked very light

groundwork

rounds rolling. I did one fairly soft round that heated up a bit when i got them in my half guard, to rubber guard, to gogoplata to locoplata...

then took some time in the corner with him, thai boxing coach whos just had elbow surgery, swapping techniques

then I ran over rubber guard basics with the whole class

everytime i take some time out from training, then go back, i remember just how much i love it... today was a very funny session anyway, the last before xmas break, so lots of messing about and **** talk, mainly going over our 'results' from the dinner and later heading out to clubs last saturday night...

Mon

Groundwork

Troubleshooting the Rubber guard + MMA tactics (LOL)
    Spiders Web

Finished the whole book now... handy i got this blog so i can go count roughly how many hours its taken, we've been putting in anywhere between 1 and 3 hours a session...

The plan now is to really break the material down. IMO the book, and possibly how eddie teaches, is over-complicated. I downloaded a copy in .pdf format thats getting printed and cut up and reorganised into a scrap book... We're gonna isolate each position and roll more from it, still light playing with the options and pressures and get more into the escapes/top tactics.

Also, ripped a hole in my best jeans knee-ing the heavy bag outside doing a **** about round of kicks and knees earlier in the day. ****ing typical.

Had some friends over for dinner, cooked a kick-ass thai green curry. Too much coriander and not quite enough chilli in the paste, but it still went down a treat...

nice to see we're not all slackers xmas eve...
    good job jeans are a constant on most people's xmas list
    and (as long as you got the amount of chilli right) how can you ever have too much corriander? Merry xmas jon.