Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steppin up - training '07

cardio?

i know that you are working on thai pads but are you doing any kind of straight cardio? treadmill, jogging, jump rope? when i was training last year the tread mill worked great for cardio. my last MMA tournament i wasn't even winded after my fight, breathing wasn't heavy or anything. plus besides your classes are you doing any weight training daily besides the few that you blogged? otherwise i can give you some ideas to spice up your training. on the ill days try a quick jog. sometimes things just need to get moving before you can get anything done. also astragulus and ginseng are really good for keeping your endurance energy and immune system up.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Fri

MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
    few rounds of clinch work + knees, intervals of just flowing from position to position and then wrestling
    5x3 min rounds holding the pads, last round 6 mins
    5x3 min rounds working pads, last round ran well over the 6 mins...

then boxing sparring.

last round on pads ****ed me. also did a whole round of lead hand work then struggled keeping lead hand up in sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    i know that you are working on thai pads but are you doing any kind of straight cardio? treadmill, jogging, jump rope? when i was training last year the tread mill worked great for cardio. my last MMA tournament i wasn't even winded after my fight, breathing wasn't heavy or anything. plus besides your classes are you doing any weight training daily besides the few that you blogged? otherwise i can give you some ideas to spice up your training. on the ill days try a quick jog. sometimes things just need to get moving before you can get anything done. also astragulus and ginseng are really good for keeping your endurance energy and immune system up.
    yup well spotted. the answers no, but im *aiming* to do 6 days a week of mma training, which is 2 nights mainly thai, 1 night judo/groundwork, and 3 nights mixed. that should mean 4 days a week hitting thai pads and a bunch of rolling and clinch work. then im aiming to do a whole body max strength workout once a week. for me its about the weakest link and right now cardio aint it, my weaknesses are more fighting, strength and keeping my body working. all the sessions i do are very conditioning oriented anyway, everything is in timed rounds and every drill we finish off in a hard conditioning way, eg finish every round on pads with 20 kicks or 2 to 10 punches etc, finish clinch rounds with hard pummelling, last 30secs of shadow are skip knees or burpees etc.

i'd love to work out a better way of structuring the weights in, but time, soreness and recovery etc mean i struggle with it, and im not at that pro fighter stage where i can do weights or sprints in the morning then train mma evening... your right though i should try to add even just some gentle cardio, running for recovery, skipping for footwork

im all ears man, fire some good ideas my way

Thumbs up training ideas

when i was training last year i would jog on the treadmill 1.5-3 miles every other day. a month before the tournament i started alternate sprints on the treadmill for the rounds that the fights were in. if a match was 3, 3minute rounds, then i would do a one minute warm up, sprint 3 minutes, walk one minute, etc. i would do 12 of these. the way that i saw it was that if i was able to do cardio for 4 consecutive fights then i was more than prepared for one match. and it worked. after nine minutes in the cage i wasn't breathing heavy, and my pulse was steady.
    as for weights i did the usual body building rutine of back/ biceps, chest/ shoulders/ triceps, and legs. but i did higher reps and lower weight to not interfer in the high endurance training i was doing. wrist curles were a must also. if you can get a tight grip in your opponant then it is easier to manipulate him to your will.
    my flaw was the lack of sparring and couching, i didn't have a corner man with me when i was in the cage and that can break you in the end since they can see things that you can't. my underskilled opponant was talked through much of what he did and i was left to counter with no outside help.
    i hope this little bit helps. i can write you more tomorrow when i have more time.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Sat

MMA.

warm up
    ton of conditioning drills finished off with 5 mins of running and punching on the spot with sets of squats, lunges, pressups, sprawls etc thrown in.

3x5 min rounds on thai pads
    3x5 min rounds holding pads

groundwork.
    top and bottom game with punches (mma sparring gloves). sparred 30secs top, then switch 30secs bottom. for rounds. breaking the game down into drills, when to stay tight and work body, head, when to posture up and go for big shots, etc etc, how to play the bottom game for mma

when i was training last year i would jog on the treadmill 1.5-3 miles every other day. a month before the tournament i started alternate sprints on the treadmill for the rounds that the fights were in. if a match was 3, 3minute rounds, then i would do a one minute warm up, sprint 3 minutes, walk one minute, etc. i would do 12 of these. the way that i saw it was that if i was able to do cardio for 4 consecutive fights then i was more than prepared for one match. and it worked. after nine minutes in the cage i wasn't breathing heavy, and my pulse was steady.
    as for weights i did the usual body building rutine of back/ biceps, chest/ shoulders/ triceps, and legs. but i did higher reps and lower weight to not interfer in the high endurance training i was doing. wrist curles were a must also. if you can get a tight grip in your opponant then it is easier to manipulate him to your will.
    my flaw was the lack of sparring and couching, i didn't have a corner man with me when i was in the cage and that can break you in the end since they can see things that you can't. my underskilled opponant was talked through much of what he did and i was left to counter with no outside help.
    i hope this little bit helps. i can write you more tomorrow when i have more time.
    same here im just writing up and gotta bust a move. having a good corner definitely makes a big difference. the tournaments you did sound pretty tough, 9 mins in one round then multiple fights per night? crazy.

the intervals we do for mma are usually like sprint 10 secons, jog back 20 secs etc for up to the 3 or 5 minute round then same rest interval etc..

i didn't write that right, 3-3minute rounds, 9 minutes total. and the stinting sounds pretty good. i like to keep the heart rate up for the amount of time that the rounds are but that's my way of doing it. i liked bas rutten's philosophy on cardio, "if my fight is going to be 10 minutes i train for a 30 minute fight." i like to follow that because you can never claim that your weren't in shape, plus if he does beat you he really was better then you. sometimes learning how to lose is more important then how to win.
    some guys i work with talk about how they wish they were tyson and other so called champs out there. my response is that yeah they were a good fighter but a horrible loser when it came to life itself.
    it sound like you are on the right track. keep doing what your doing. as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other you will get somewhere.

Mon

MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
    few technique drills

5x5 minute rounds holding thai pads
    2x5 minute rounds working the pads, 3 rounds shadow (odd numbers tonight)

thai boxing coach held for me the 2 rounds, so they were hard. a ton of technique fixes to take on board too

i didn't write that right, 3-3minute rounds, 9 minutes total. and the stinting sounds pretty good. i like to keep the heart rate up for the amount of time that the rounds are but that's my way of doing it. i liked bas rutten's philosophy on cardio, "if my fight is going to be 10 minutes i train for a 30 minute fight." i like to follow that because you can never claim that your weren't in shape, plus if he does beat you he really was better then you. sometimes learning how to lose is more important then how to win.
    some guys i work with talk about how they wish they were tyson and other so called champs out there. my response is that yeah they were a good fighter but a horrible loser when it came to life itself.
    it sound like you are on the right track. keep doing what your doing. as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other you will get somewhere.
    cool. the 10secs sprint 20secs jog thing is supposed to mirror the real activity in a fight, as well as giving you more cycles of recovery. good idea to look up tabata for the theory of intervals, it means you can work harder over the 3-5 minute round than just a constant rate the whole time. your right though i decided tonight i need to start skipping.

oh man, learning to lose is a funny one. at my gym (apart from the beginner night) people fall into 2 categories either loads bigger and stronger or tons more skilled and experienced than me, so im constantly getting tapped out, beat up, broken by conditioning etc and im learning to live with the highs and lows of that. its like tonight having a really top coach hold for me i felt like ive not learned anything at all and have so far to go, but then its all good that the more wrong things there are the more im learning and thats awesome

thanks for the heads up tho, good luck with your training and fighting too

Tues

Weights

Sumo Deadlift
    50kg+bar x5
    70kg+bar x5
    90kg+bar x5
    95kg+bar x2, 1, 1

then :
    5x5 pull ups, kbell OH press (bottom up) left then right

then swung the sledgehammer about a bit.

i think im a bit ****ed at the minute, not getting fully recovered between training. ****ed off about deadlifting, amazing how much extra 5kg felt like. also the pull ups were surprisingly hard, nearly not making the last few reps of the last set. that sucks big time. but its a starting point.

Wed

MMA.

warm up
    3x5 min rounds holding thai pads
    3x5 min rounds on thai pads. one round with mma coach, i was ****ed after that

then rounds rolling.

im going through an armbar phase at the moment, set up a bunch of them tonight but couldnt get them on, combination of being outweighed (im lightweight, both people i rolled with tonight were light-heavies) and knackered, and a lack of skill/detail in the submission and set up.

Thurs

1. Wing Chun

2. MMA (judo)

warm up, some ground agility drills, kuzushi practice, kuzushi+leg trips, drilled a couple of throws.

then ground technique. went over a few gi chokes, then the variants without gi, then a few chokes for either.

then supervised rolling with breaks for technique by judo coach.

then more rounds rolling.

Fri

MMA (muay thai)

warm up
    technique drills
    5x5 minute rounds on thai pads
    5x5 minute rounds holding pads

then rounds of boxing sparring.

padwork killing me again. ive been fcked all week

Sat

MMA

warm up
    extra conditioning/warm up - tons of sprawls, press ups, crunches, squat jumps, squats, lunges etc etc over 2x 5min rounds

pad work (holding, then working)
    did pad man circuits, same volume of work as 3x5s i think

groundwork : striking on the ground.
    bottom game : wrapping arms, guard, starting to set up subs/get position to stand up
    top game : unwrapping arms, short hits, posture up/big hits, standing up, pass guard
    etc etc broken down into drills, drilled for rounds. then put together to rolling with strikes

then round or two submission rolling to finish off.

No standup sparring or partner drills? (Besides the judo..)

Whats the Wing Chun look like?

strike!