Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steppin up - training '07

alright yenhoi,

check back, friday night is sparring night

there's usually bits of stand up drills mon, tues (not been this year), and fri's too.

also thai padwork covers a lot of ground. partner fires back quite a lot and defence/counter is built in as well as sparring reflexes.

aaah the wing chun... well im kinda letting it slip at the moment im focussing on the basics of fighting aka MMA. my wing chuns changing anyway so its on the back burner till i can do it justice

Sun

Yoga

wow actually made it, pretty happy with the progress ive made since last time i showed up to a class months and months ago

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    MMA (muay thai)

5x5 minute rounds on thai pads
    depending on the intensity that right there would probably kill me.
    where's my beer?

Mon

MMA (muay thai)

warm up
    technique drill : 4 responses to jab

5x5 min rounds on pads
    5x5 min rounds holding pads

few rounds sparring. kicks+punches+clinch. got owned by a taller kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    depending on the intensity that right there would probably kill me.
    trust me it does, the 4th and 5th are real wars. the intensity doesnt really matter as if your unfit, it kills you. if your fit, the intensity just goes up and it still kills you. good padman are sadistic *******s like that. if you havent had a second wind and your not dead by the end of it they aint been doing their job properly

oh yeah we usually follow a format like 1st round all kicks, 2nd round kick+punch combinations, 3rd, 4th, 5th round kick-punch-elbow-knee. at the halfway mark and the end of each round would be something like 10 kicks each leg, or 20 knees, or 2-10 punches and back down etc.

the hardest thing i find personally is the mix of padwork and wrestling (+weights). one leaves you tired the other leaves you weak. mixing em up just sucks...

Tues

MMA.

warm up, 2xrounds shadow boxing with intervals of switchovers and pummelling

5x5 min rounds holding thai pads
    5x5 min rounds working thai pads

this really is killing me, doing it again tomorrow...

Wed

MMA

warm up

5x3 min rounds holding thai pads for a new and slightly crazy french thai boxer
    5x3 min rounds working pads, rounds 1,3,5 with mma coach, so worked normal a lot, HARD. last round with takedowns

then line drilled a takedown. i cant remember the name but its one of those running ones

then got a round of thai boxing sparring in

Fri

Thai boxing

warm up
    5x5 min rounds holding thai pads
    5x5 min rounds working thai pads (coach holding, so just hellish again)

finished off with clinch knee sparring last 10 mins or so.

only 4 people showed up so the price went up from £3 to £4 to cover the room. isnt that just ****ing insane. these sessions have been great recently, been getting some awesome coaching. i just hope i last...

Sat nite went to cage rage 20 in london. both fighters i went to see lost one or two good fights otherwise but pretty **** show

Wed

MMA

warm up
    5x3 min rounds holding thai pads for 2 people (harder work for me than them)
    5x3 min rounds working thai pads shared again.

then got a round of stand up sparring in.

bit ****ed off. had a few days off for R&R (during which i did quite a LOT of yoga bodyflow stretching and tweaked something in my shoulder/back a little bit) and wanted to go really HARD tonight, but not many people at training, the other 3 pairs working were all prepping for fights in the next week or two, and then only 3 of us left so had to work 3 ways. also the padman who held for me wasnt very experienced so i couldnt really get my techniques right, combos up to speed, or let rip with any power

got home, bashed the heavy bag about for a bit then the stand collapsed after a long knee causing all sorts of grief. did a little ab work. put a 5kg plate under my head, nice little effect. wanted to use more but weights underneath pile of structural damage... then did some walking lunges with 12kg dumbells overhead.
    what more could go wrong?

still gotta roll with the punches

ooh nearly forgot. looks like im getting in the ring in a couple of days

Sat

Muay Thai Interclub Fight

i did it, first time ever getting in the ring, 3x2min rounds full contact amateur thai boxing! interclub rules so no elbows or knees to the head, shinpads and 16oz gloves. the whole thing was a bit of a ****in mess really but everyone seemed to think i did well.

got quite a lot of good kicks in (despite NO warm up) and got a couple of knockdowns. i remember getting in a good right cross too. but then i also remember getting kicked in the head at i think in the 1st and eating a couple of uppercuts and even a dodgy illegal knee to the head in the 3rd.

the whole thing was a bit of a **** up though. some messing around with the match making, then they called me for my fight with about a minutes notice, just enough time for hand wraps, the other guy was in the ring waiting while i was scrabbling in my kit bag to find my gumshield. so i went into the ring with NO warm up, not even any shadowboxing or stretching let alone kicking a pad...

anyway i got a ****ty plastic trophy bruised up shins and a bit of a headache. time for a hot bath. heads a bit mixed up right now cos im just back in so i still dont really know what im thinking. another guy took a couple photos on their phone so will post them if i can get hold of them

Mon

MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
    thai boxing drills

5x5min rounds holding thai pads
    5x5min rounds working hands on focus mitts (shins still hurtin from sat)

last round was 10 mins to finish up the session

working focus mitts was good, gonna try and get a round of hands in each one of these sessions.

bit of a chat at the end went over our fights and what we each need to work on.

Jon,

congrads on the smoker, nice work.

Andrew

Tues

MMA

warm up
    rounds of pummelling, wrestling for position.
    boxing drills
    boxing drill into get an underhook -> pummell -> shouldershove to cross out
    added dirty boxing and wrestling for position to pummell part
    light boxing sparring to get the clinch to pummell for position with dirty boxing
    1-10 jabs and back down, 1-10 crosses and back, 2-10 punches with sprawls between sets
    partner resist march knees

then some conditioning stuff to finish, jog round room coach calls out sets of press ups, squat jumps, crunches, lunges, diamond pressups etc
    stretching