Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar or Naruto

I'm a "rabid" Avatar fan. People tell me about the depth of Naratu, but I guess I'm showing my lack of Martial arts maturity here. I find it to be boring with way too much talking, and not enough scrappin'. In all due fairness, am I missing something, or is this cartoon "BUTTTTTTTTT"?
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Naruto's entertaining in that annoying Japanese over the top anime kind of way. They have some deep stuff sometimes with the whole meridian map thing they've been doing... though I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they refer to CHI as "chakra." I mean, that's not even accurate for internal energy in the yogic arts... it's friggin prana.

Avatar's my thing, I really like the fact that air-bending is Ba Gua and water-bending is Tai Chi and noticably so.

I enjoy them both, but because I'm more into the Chinese martial arts Avater is more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil-Hung View Post
    I'm a "rabid" Avatar fan. People tell me about the depth of Naratu, but I guess I'm showing my lack of Martial arts maturity here. I find it to be boring with way too much talking, and not enough scrappin'. In all due fairness, am I missing something, or is this cartoon "BUTTTTTTTTT"?
    Didn't you post this exact same thing elsewhere?

naruto is ninjitsu, so its called chakra. i think its just the ninja way of saying it. i dont know, at least thats what i came up with.

i never watched avatar, but i like naruto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

They're basically the same exact thing. The only real differences are the obvious American/Japanese thing.

Otherwise, it's a teenager with a buttload of power who can't neccesarily control it all, and has to stop the evils of the world from taking over.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Didn't you post this exact same thing elsewhere?
    Yes, I did. Response was limited.
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    naruto is ninjitsu, so its called chakra. i think its just the ninja way of saying it. i dont know, at least thats what i came up with.

i never watched avatar, but i like naruto.

Hmmm, but how much is ninjutsu specifically influenced by the yoga arts vs that of the Chinese arts? I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.

Naruto!!!!
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Hmmm, but how much is ninjutsu specifically influenced by the yoga arts vs that of the Chinese arts? I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.

chakra is the sanskrit word for enrergy or energies

i think some ninjutsu ppl might use it as they have some rather esoteric meditation practises
    of course ki is a much more common

and avatar has the chinese influence
    but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!1
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    chakra is the sanskrit word for enrergy or energies

i think some ninjutsu ppl might use it as they have some rather esoteric meditation practises
    of course ki is a much more common

and avatar has the chinese influence
    but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!1

I thought chakra referred to the energy gates rather than the actual energy which is called "prana" and sometimes "kundalini." I mean, the equivalent of qigong in Sanskrit is "pranayama."

Naruto is fun, but I always get a little annoyed by certain elements of Japanese hyperactive teenage emotionalism.

naruto uses 'chakra' like you would really use ki. It's not based on historical ninja or anything.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!
    Can you be a little more descriptive? Help me out, here. They talk thru 3 episodes about what they're going to do to their opponent. the commercials are frankly more action packed!!! Avatar, granted makes one suspend belief, but at least there are battles. The 4 nations are based on elements which are the foundation for most TCMA. Whatever style you practice, you can almost visualize doing what they do. I practice Hung Ga, so I would belong to the earth kingdom. When I sit in horse, I try to grab the ground with my toes.

Maybe I'm just too impatient to wade through all of that esoteric preconception. I might be too shallow. I can accept that. Enlighten me. bring me to the "chakra" level from "hei" (Cantonese for chi or qi). I'm really just having fun with this, but my kids want me to get into it, and I'm bored to tears.
    Last edited by Wil-Hung; 01-13-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.
    It is. I haven't seen more than 5 minutes or Naruto (too boring), but I did make it through about 15 minutes of Avatar once. Another thing is that ninjutsu also uses the elements. I've personally never heard anything other than "ki" in the dojo or on training outings.

My $.02

Well, the coolest thing I've seen with Naruto is them showing the chi meridians and stuff like that. Still... the way that anime and manga is drawn out is sort of boring. Dragon Ball Z was like that too. Avatar I can dig on... especially the finale for the second season/book2:Earth. Aang goes back to his Air Temple(which is kind of weird that they have Shaolin like monks practicing Ba Gua Zhang and the Northern Shaolin practitioners are the Fire Nation adversaries) and meets an Indian yogi who teaches him how to open each chakra on the real yogic chakra central column in order to be able to control his "avatar state".

To me, Avatar is more interesting... particularly the effort they've put into it. The Earth benders actually look like they're doing Hung Gar, Fire benders look like they're doing northern Shaolin, Air benders look like they are doing Ba Gua and the Water benders look like they are doing Tai Chi. The scope is far more grand, as the Avatar is supposed to bring nature(the elements) back into harmony. I still have yet to see the point of Naruto aside from this arguably untalented kid pursuing his ambition to be the head ninja of the village. I like 'em both, but I do find Avatar far more interesting from a martial arts point of view and WAAAAY more tolerable.

Avatar is a bit too kiddy to me. Naruto started off pretty slow for several dozen episodes, but then kicked off pretty well after the chunin finals (somewhere around or after eps 75 I think but am not sure), except for the fillers over the past year and a half or so.

To me, better than both of those was Hajime No Ippo (titled as The Fighting Spirit in english, or sometimes just refered to as Fighting Spirit). It's only about boxing, but sensationalizes techinques and bouts and training that is quite engrossing and continually gets more intense. It has a lot of lulling so to speak for character development and backgrounds and stuff. But if you don't mind all of that, it was an awesome anime.

If you strictly just like a lot of fighting, Grappler Baki isn't bad.