Thread: Anyone train in EBMAS?

Anyone train in EBMAS?

EBMAS = Emin Boztepe Martial Arts System

We have a local EBMAS club here in Colorado Springs and I was thinking about checking them out. Any thoughts on this? What is there training like? What can I expect?

My background is primarily Northern Shaolin and 7 star Praying Mantis. Any similarities? Differences?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

It's Wing Chun. Ask in the WC forum but hold on to your seat.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Emin Bozetepe was a student in Leung Ting's European group before a political split i which he started his own organization a few years ago. The two groups' programs are more similar than they are different, though Emin Bozetepe changed some of its structure, etc.

The first few years focus on the first two sets and applying them with sparring drills and chi sau drills. Some groups spar; mine does, others may not. That depends on the teacher.

EBMAS also incorporates Escrima via FMA master Rene Latosa. If you find a place that teaches both, you can usually learn them simultaneously. The programs are different, not intermixed, though my teacher will explain how and why the two systems are different and how they relate to one another.

The differences between Wing Tsun and other kung fu styles are many. You can go to the WC forum for that. Generally speaking, the footwork and many movements are much smaller and, of course, there is chi sau.

There has been a lot of politics between the William Cheung and Leung Ting camps, in which Emin Bozetepe became involved. He currently regrets his past actions, but there's still a lot of controversy. Basically, I recommend ignoring politics as much as possible, don't trash talk unless you know exactly what you're trashing, and just practice what you want to practice.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ravenshaw; 01-04-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks for the input guys. I've seen some of the in-fighting over at the WT forum and to be honest, I'm not sure if I want to get mixed up in a style with so much politics.

I may just stick with the BJJ.

Thanks.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

CF,

I do. I don't know who is teaching in Colorado Springs.

I'd ignore 'politics', deal with people, and train, otherwise you'll leave martial arts in disgust. I've been around for BJJ bullsh*t, boxing coaches bagging on each other, the Wing Chun wars, Northern Preying Mantis snarkiness, SPM- those guys make hating a part of the art, JJJ, karate, whatever.

Politics should have *nothing* to do with your day to day training, unless you obsess over bullsh*t on internet forums.

PM me if you want to talk.

Andrew