Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standing arm breaks...

I think its short sighted to think that all arm breaks take place when both people are grappling. There are ways to parry or redirect a persons arms as they strike that when coupled with another movement can pop the elbow in a fraction of a second. Just like most striking, its not the goal, you just keep flowing and if you dont get the arm break, you just treat is as a parry/slip. Then work the explosive power on a wooden dummy arm..if you get to where you can really wrench on a baseball bat with your arm, you have a pretty good chance of throwing that technique in a dangerous way. I dont see why more people dont think of this training methodology, its not exactly new.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    I think its short sighted to think that all arm breaks take place when both people are grappling. There are ways to parry or redirect a persons arms as they strike that when coupled with another movement can pop the elbow in a fraction of a second. Just like most striking, its not the goal, you just keep flowing and if you dont get the arm break, you just treat is as a parry/slip. Then work the explosive power on a wooden dummy arm..if you get to where you can really wrench on a baseball bat with your arm, you have a pretty good chance of throwing that technique in a dangerous way. I dont see why more people dont think of this training methodology, its not exactly new.
    Coming from a long-time FMA background where these types of breaks are supposedly an integral part of the methodology, I can tell you I have never seen anyone pull one off against a resisting opponent.

BTW, I'm still waiting to find out who these 30 year guys are, what their backgrounds consist of, and how our opinions differ.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-05-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Notice I didnt say that they are easy, just that they can happen...I know FMA has similar techniques..the idea though is not to try and break, but to use it to setup positional dominance, and then if it happens to break something as you are doing so, you just have a bonus. Personally I would more count on an elbow dislocation happening than a break though, but same idea, it can happen.

Your opinions differ because you have different backgrounds and because you focus on different training for long periods of time I would guess..some things you guys are eye to eye on, and some things you say are just your view, but definately not mine or theirs, but I guess if you are ever out here and want to work out, I could probably arrange it. They are varied, hung gar guys, with BJJ, golden gloves, boxing, and wrestling backgrounds as well, but all of them are in their 30+ years in hung ga, and can make it work just fine. We work at least an hour or more with a resisting partner in drills and sparring every other day, and have always done so, so I guess its not the typical kung fu environment you picture. A lot more like a boxing gym.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Notice I didnt say that they are easy, just that they can happen...I know FMA has similar techniques..the idea though is not to try and break, but to use it to setup positional dominance, and then if it happens to break something as you are doing so, you just have a bonus. Personally I would more count on an elbow dislocation happening than a break though, but same idea, it can happen.

Your opinions differ because you have different backgrounds and because you focus on different training for long periods of time I would guess..some things you guys are eye to eye on, and some things you say are just your view, but definately not mine or theirs, but I guess if you are ever out here and want to work out, I could probably arrange it. They are varied, hung gar guys, with BJJ, golden gloves, boxing, and wrestling backgrounds as well, but all of them are in their 30+ years in hung ga, and can make it work just fine. We work at least an hour or more with a resisting partner in drills and sparring every other day, and have always done so, so I guess its not the typical kung fu environment you picture. A lot more like a boxing gym.
    Maybe you could post some video of your sparring sessions, so I could get a better idea.

Maybe I will sometime, I dont really feel the need to much to prove much though. If what I was doing wasnt working, then I would have found out by now in San Shou, as well as cross training with some Muay Thai, MMA and Grappling guys. I dont think that videos on the internet are the sole way to answer a question. Like I said, your opinions differ, and if you are happy with that, its cool, I am just encouraging you to keep your eyes open. I rarely hear any seasoned fighter say the words _____ just wont ever work. Instead they just come up with answers for said techniques and train them.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 01-05-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

murphy's law in a sense.

if it has a .000001% chance of being possible, it is still possible.

hate to break it to you like this, but its simple fact.

even if you cannot, and most people cannot, or it may be difficult, this does not denounce the fact that is still a possiblity and in some form, if even a low percentile, an eventuality.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

i should add, the possiblity is soley dependant on the individuals and situations in question.

on both sides of the fence. breaker and breakie so to speak.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Does wrecking the elbow count?

A few years ago some tw@t tried to stab me with a Swiss Army knife of all things. I managed to catch the wrist, extend his arm and used my other hand to strike upwards to break his elbow. Made a lovely noise (him and the joint). I doubt it was something I could do twice in a row so easily and I certainly wouldn't like to try.

I don't know if it counts though beeing on the street (literally) and not in a sanctioned fight

It was something we had trained against both punches and someone lunging with a knife. The grabbing, pulling and twisting is something we trained hard but we dropped the power for striking the elbow (well just above but same diff). For that we practiced heavy hand on heavy bags and used WC dummy drills as has already been mentioned by someone.

Michael

i think this discussion needs to be broken into 2 parts.

1: stand up arm break in a sanctioned match against another martial artist.

2: stand up arm break in a non sanctioned, street style altercation.

Scenario 1: Very difficult to pull off against an opponent near your skill level.

Scenario 2: The chances you get into a fight with a skilled martial artist on the street, bar, etc...is, i believe to be quite low. Provided this scenario plays out to the point your altercation is with that of an average man, you chances of breaking his arm are hightened quite a bit, provided that the individual is put into a position for this type of attack, the chances they will counter are very slim.

AGAIN, both scenariors are wholey dependant on the individuals involved, and of course the focus of each persons training.

of course there i go being totally realistic again...
    Last edited by PangQuan; 01-05-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Lau Gar Kuen, that is one of the techniques I was referring to, pretty easy to cause pain, make the arm go numb or bust it up if it ends up in the right place, and if not, it still deflects the arm and sets you up to deal out a world of hurt.
    -Golden Arms-

Shoulda tapped...

JUST GIVE UP! Pat Sabatini has arm broken in MMA title fight and CM Punk has to tell crowd to stop booing winner James Gonzalez
    GRAPHIC WARNING
    By Alex McCarthy
    3rd February 2020, 3:05 pm
    MMA star Pat Sabatini may have earned a lot of respect at the weekend, but he lost his Cage Fury Fighting Championship featherweight title and had his arm broken.

Sabatini suffered a gruesome broken arm as he refused to tap out against James Gonzalez just 46 seconds into the first round of their contest.

UFC FIGHT PASS
    Pat Sabatini had his arm broken by James Gonzalez in a title fight

The bout, for which former WWE superstar and UFC fighter CM Punk was ring announcing, was only made six days ago as Gonzalez stepped in.

Sabatini was locked in an armbar, but he refused to tap. It took Gonzalez releasing the hold and alerting the referee to the injury to stop the fight.

Obviously, that is the highest level of toughness one can imagine, but it didn’t stop Gonzalez walking out as the champion and the crowd roundly booing him.

In fact, Punk stepped in and asked the crowd to stop booing the new champion.

Speaking after the encounter, Gonzalez said: “First I would like say, I wish that didn’t happen. I wish he could have tapped and saved his arm from breaking like that.

UFC FIGHT PASS
    You can see Pat Sabatini’s arm bending in ways that it shouldn’t

UFC FIGHT PASS

@UFCFightPass
    Yikes. #CFFC81

Embedded video
    7:19 PM - Feb 1, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    1,023 people are talking about this
    “I respect Pat Sabatini, he’s been on the circuit with me since I started and I always thought I was going to fight him sooner but we fought tonight and this is what happened.

“I wish him a speedy recovery and that’s all I got to say about that. I’ve been trying to get fights as much as possible.

“It’s really hard to find guys who want to fight me, in either weight class, and I guess you guys saw why.”
    THREADS
    Standing arm breaks... Slightly OT because it's the victim that's standing.
    Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches
    CM Punk
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart