Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth of the CMA forum

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    We have so many posts because we only post under one name, rather than pretending to be several different people.
    This is the best u got? ..to claim I have multiple names… no honestly, hung le is my only name.

You and the other of your ilk......have no defense …thousands of posts crapping on CMA ….at a site dedicated to CMA..

How lame is that…?

You got a life? You got a job? You got a girl.....?

I’m home on vacation… what’s your excuse day after day after day….of posting nothing but crap designed to feed your ego….

Please explain. I would like to hear this….

You sound like your near forty...how are you acting mature?

hung-le, I think you should challenge Knifefighter now..... don't just leave us all hanging
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    hung-le, I think you should challenge Knifefighter now..... don't just leave us all hanging
    lol... That is their answer to everything isn’t it……...

MMA people and Kung Fu people are different.

MMA people are agressive and want to win at any cost.

Kung Fu people are more into history, tradition and respect.

MMA is real popular now so I bet there's more agressive and rude behavior on all martial art discussion boards.

It's pretty simple really.

I remember a few years back when I used to post on Bullshido. I read a post about one guy who said that he was going to stop visiting Bullshido because it had affected his behavior. He started to have the "if you don't have it on video, then it didn't happen" and the "STFU NOOB!" attitude at work. Life became more about "being" right, rather than doing what was right.

I really think that the general MMA/UFC/PRIDE fan attitude is agressive and rude.

Take a look at all of the in-fighting over at Sherdog. It's ridiculous.

I could be wrong.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    MMA people and Kung Fu people are different.

MMA people are agressive and want to win at any cost.

Kung Fu people are more into history, tradition and respect.
    So where does that leave the Kung Fu MMA people like myself?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    So where does that leave the Kung Fu MMA people like myself?
    That's easy. You're a person who respects tradition agressively.

Actually, my first explaination was over simplified and very much a generalization.

There is crossover. I think the crossover is part of what makes this forum unique. We have people that are very much into Kung Fu. Then we have people who are into MMA but with a Kung Fu twist and every shade of gray inbetween.

There is a problem in Kung Fu/CMA. There are too many fakes. Too much BS. Too much mystery and unbelievable stories. Kung Fu has been around for a long long time but this MMA revolution comes along and they are calling us out.

Kung Fu/CMA is at a crossroads right now. I believe that something needs to change. Look at Cung Lee. There's nobody left for him to fight. No up-and-comers. So he's moving over to MMA. Will he dominate there like he has in San Shou? I think he'll do ok, but he won't dominate.

All this rude/agressive talk is Kung Fu's wake up call. MMA isn't coming. It's here. And it looks like it will be here for quite a while.

So to answer your question. Where does it leave the Kung Fu MMA people like Master Killer. I think it leaves people like you as the future of Kung Fu. Hopefully, myself and many others will be there with you.

San shou and MMA

I don't think Cung Le is moving from San Shou to MMA because he's run out of people to fight. I think it's more for the long green. Exactly how much $$ can you make fighting san shou? And how much in MMA?

I agree that martial arts is at a crossroads of sorts, but not just CMA. CMA might not be the best in the MMA world, but it still offers plenty that MMA doesn't offer. Money isn't one of them, though.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't think Cung Le is moving from San Shou to MMA because he's run out of people to fight. I think it's more for the long green. Exactly how much $$ can you make fighting san shou? And how much in MMA?

I agree that martial arts is at a crossroads of sorts, but not just CMA. CMA might not be the best in the MMA world, but it still offers plenty that MMA doesn't offer. Money isn't one of them, though.
    I admit, that I was reaching with the whole why Cung Le is leaving San Shou assumption but even that articel hinted that he's the best in the game. Leading to your point, a game with very little $$.

I also agree that CMA has a lot to offer that MMA doesn't. But I think that there must be a reason as to why CMA has been left out of the MMA equation.

CMA is hard to test. There are so many styles. And to place credit where credit is due, your Chin Woo special edition got me thinking this way.

Basically, we are being called Sick Men of CMA by MMA.

I believe that CMA needs a revolution, needs to be united. So many different styles, in my opinion make CMA weak.

Sick Men of CMA UNITE!

Post A long post.

We all know that there is a lot of B.S. masquerading as TMA. This came about because of many factors but that's another thread. Then we have MMA. It started as a venue and developed into a style that picks parts of a few different arts and combines them (Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling, and some Judo). If you notice, there is nothing new about those styles but they weren't plagued with the amount of B.S.ers as other arts. So the new style of MMA combined aspects of those styles into one system that responds to the needs of these up and coming NHB ring fighters. The facts are that realistic venues have existed before the UFC. It's just that all the point sparring tournaments obscure their memory. The other fact is that real life and death fighting is found in TMA history. However, the B.S. made people forget real TMA and when the UFC and the MMA craze came along some people developed a sentiment of "This new style, MMA, is the ultimate in combat and everything else is one big joke." Some TMA people that hear this take offense and verbally spar back and forth ad nauseam. Perhaps the most devastating weapon in the MMA side's arsenal is, "Well why don't you see TMA winning the UFC?". In reality this isn’t so big and bad an argument as some would have you believe. I feel the answer lies in the fact that most TMA people don't care what some MMA people that go on a campaign of bashing TMA (which seems to me to be more of an internet thing anyway) think about them. TMA stylists that want to fight generally gravitate towards other venues (such as San Shou for CMA) then the ones that MMA stylists go for. That’s just the way of things. Another thing that is important to remember is that the ring isn't the street. There aren't multiple opponents, weapons, and no rules as to what techniques you can or can't use on the streets. TMA is tailored for the streets. Many of the techniques won't be used in the ring if a TMA stylist competes. For example, a Choy Lay Fut trademark is the panther fist. That won't be something a Choy Lay Fut guy will use in San Da, but he may use it on the streets. I’m not saying that the ring has no value. I’m saying that it isn’t the streets and that TMA developed for the streets. Martial arts have a lot to offer. For those not interested in the full package, all this stuff probably never crosses the mind. For serious practitioners, you have to find your way. My advice is to find a good, legit teacher(s) and learn a style(s) that suits you. If you have this, who cares what some MMA people say. Develop as a martial artist and be wary of the B.S. (If you are educated, you can spot it). Another point I'd like to touch upon is how people say that TMA has to "evolve" and "modernize". The way I see it, the B.S. isn't traditional, because real traditional martial arts are effective systems. So instead of modernizing, TMA should go back to its roots. This leads to the question of how to do that. Well, good TMA is already there. It's the B.S.ers that aren't. The next logical step is how to remove the B.S. That, my fellow KFM posters, is yet another thread. Lastly, with the increasing popularity of MMA, it seems inevitable that the MMA mcdojo will rear its head. That seems like the logical evolution of things.
    Last edited by The Xia; 01-10-2007 at 05:08 PM.

CMA's diversity is its power

And B.S. is very traditional in the Chinese martial arts. Just take a small glance at our extant literature. You can find authors calling B.S. on TCMA going back centuries. I think the real problem is that the West thinks there shouldn't be B.S. in the martial arts. That's what puts most westerners up B.S. creek without a paddle. What amazes me is that few people see the B.S. in MMA. That's kind of funny. Any industry with that much moolah behind it has their fair share of B.S. Think about it.

There's nothing wrong with B.S. Like cyberbullies and trolls, B.S. is just a fact of life. Now it's exacerbated by modern mediums like web forums. You learn to cope with it. The real problem is that some people get personally offended by B.S. I think that's the ego - that's people saying "there's no B.S. in my life. I'm too good for B.S. My B.S. don't stink." Sure, those dogmatic B.S. followers are bothersome, but calling them names isn't going to help. There are better ways to reduce B.S. When there's too much B.S. some people yell and scream "B.S! B.S!!!" Others get some toilet paper.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Xia, use paragraphs for crying out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    CMA might not be the best in the MMA world, but it still offers plenty that MMA doesn't offer. Money isn't one of them, though.
    Unless one is selling DVD's of super secret, deadly techniques and conditioning programs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    The facts are that realistic venues have existed before the UFC.
    The UFC was the first venue to make all ranges of fighting available for everyone to see.

TMA stylists that want to fight generally gravitate towards other venues (such as San Shou for CMA) then the ones that MMA stylists go for.
    And that is the small subset that can actually fight.

Another thing that is important to remember is that the ring isn't the street. There aren't multiple opponents, weapons, and no rules as to what techniques you can or can't use on the streets. TMA is tailored for the streets.

Develop as a martial artist and be wary of the B.S. (If you are educated, you can spot it).
    The whole training for the street thing is where all the B.S starts.

The next logical step is how to remove the B.S.
    Get rid of the training for the street B.S.

However, let's leave room for the possiblity that "training for the street" is actually not B.S.
    Describe how one would train that in his real kung fu training.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    However, let's leave room for the possiblity that "training for the street" is actually not B.S.
    Describe how one would train that in his real kung fu training.
    I'll probably regret getting involved in this but I've made this analogy in the past.

I carry a firearm (not ALL the time) and my practice is limited to range practice shooting targets. The goal is to hit where I'm aiming.

Now, I'm fairly confidant if needed I could shoot someone. But by MMA standards that's not enough. Apparently I have to practice 'live' and actually shoot someone to 'know' I can do it (and you still never know for sure because each situation is different).

That's pretty much the same as saying if you don't gouge eyes and break arms in practice you can't do it in a real fight. The answer is that to train dangereous techniques you train all around the actual move and train attributes needed to successfully execute the move in a live situation.

Others have said basically the same thing (only worded much better) and it still doesn't satisfy the MMA purists. My first Kenpo teacher used to practice eye pokes by light sparring with us and tapping our eyebrows with his fingers. Yep, probably a bit of a kook. So could he use it in a fight? Don't know but I'm sure the practice increased his chances of success.

So, with the gun analogy maybe CMA is like range shooting and MMA is paintball. Paintball is more 'live' but without the exactness of a real firefight, just a closer approximation. And the firing range gives you real hands-on experience with the actual gun but in a safer environment.

Something like that.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.