Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Be Real

Question Let's Be Real

Question.........

I love the Traditional Martial Arts

The discipline, health and self-defense ability are invaluable.

Is there a thread or forum that you know of that discusses WHY no Traditional Masters have been successful in the UFC Competitions??????"

"I mean, I realize the UFC is all-inclusive and most of the winners are Great Grapplers who can Strike...but is there no Traditional Master or Senior Student who can challenge them ???? Are Iron Palm and Iron Body useless against the animal-like aggression in the UFC ???"

Why wont one Traditional Master enter, much less win a UFC Event to give credibility to the Traditional Arts ?????

Please dont give me the TWO cop-out answerS " Well thats not what true martial arts are about...or They dont permit eye gouging or groin strikes, so it not really no holds barred

Come on now guys....with the Ego's that are out there in the Kung-Fu Community
    someone would have stepped forward years ago and defended the credibility of Kung-Fu by now....in my opinion.

Comments please...and remember..I LOVE THE TRADITIONAL ARTS

JD

Who exactly do you suggest should enter the UFC?

There has to be some kind of interest first, don't you think? Whats in it for them? Not much.

I'm not interested in UFC. Its not that important in the long run. Most people couldn't tell you who Liddelll is. If they do its because he's champion and on TV now. They most likely couldn't tell you anyone elses name. To most its just another horse and pony show. Sure there are the fans that could recite the entire history's roster backwards while playing trumpet on a unicyce but that is a very small minority.

Ross was once a CMAer, ask him if he wants to enter UFC now. Probably not.

Or any number of aging "masters". How about them? You think they need to be on UFC to fill thier schools? Probably not.

Maybe cause the people who have the egos don't have the skill, and the people with the skills necessary to win a UFC event don't have the ego.

Wow, now I want some waffles.

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is still descended of Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and still a traditional system, founded upon traditional concepts and practice.

It only takes one generation to become a 'tradition'.

As a family system, passed down to the sons of the family, Gracie Jiu Jitsu certainly has stepped up to the plate and played across the globe.

Sadly, the word 'traditional' has become synonymous with 'outdated'. Tradition means 'passed down'. I bet that the dictionary says something just like that. Outmoded practice becomes irrelevant.
    just a few pennies from a pig.....
    -"bigger is BIGGER"

IronPig
    Rob "Rabu" Baverstock
    Madison, Wisconsin

*sigh*

Probably the most "real" reason is that our training methods aren't geared towards competitive fighting. That's not an excuse, just an explanation. For those schools that do practice for competitive sparring, there isn't an excuse.

You can try to guess why they don't try till you're blue in the face.

Because 99% of CMAers are not anywhere near the skill level of ufc guys. No exageration. Think what you want as to why this is the case (ie, kung fu attracts nerds, cma schools on average don't train right at all etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Ironpig View Post
    Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is still descended of Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and still a traditional system, founded upon traditional concepts and practice.
    My understanding of BJJ is that the practice is different from traditional JJ, with more focus on sparring and competition.

If a CMA version of Kano came along, we might be in better competitive shape.

If the UFC had been around in the early to mid 80's I'd probably have been interested in it. But I'd also have to have faced the same problem I had with everything I competed in. For the most part, my teachers didn't support my competition and being in TMA I wasted a lot of valuable time doing stuff that had nothing to do with fighting. That's why I don't waste my students' time with stuff that is not functional and why, if they want to compete, I support them as best I can
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post

If a CMA version of Kano came along, we might be in better competitive shape.
    it's called San Da.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Because Kung Fu guys go to San Shou, and Kuo Shou
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Because Kung Fu guys go to San Shou, and Kuo Shou
    May be true, but not at high levels, that I know of.

If you think about it, MMA started as a venue and developed into a style. This style picks pieces of Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman Wrestling, BJJ, and maybe some Judo every now and then, and puts them into a blender. If you notice, there is really nothing new about those styles. However, the manner in which they are combined and standardized is. You'll also notice that those styles weren't plagued with the vast number of BSers that you see masquerading as JMA (with the exception of Judo) and CMA. It would seem that they lumped the good (and as far as I'm concerned, the real) JMA and CMA guys with the crap and decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater. So this leads to the question of why don't the good TMA guys step up and show the MMA world that what they have is valuable. I feel the answer is that most stick to the venues associated with their styles. Kung Fu stylists that want to compete will likely enter San Shou. Karateka have their own tournaments. Not to mention, I don't know how large a percentage of good TMA guys care (or even know) what some MMA guys think of them. Most MMA guys probably don't even think about CMA or JMA all that much anyway. I would guess that this whole "MMA vs. TMA" war is mainly an internet thing. After all, have you ever been to a MMA gym where the main topic of discussion is "Kung Fu suxxors!"? Basically, who cares about if Kung Fu stylists enter the UFC or not? Do you practice good, effective martial arts? Do you like your teacher(s)? Do the style(s) suit you? If all of these are a yes, who cares about the negative opinions of some person on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    May be true, but not at high levels, that I know of.
    WTF? Not at high levels? What, not enough youtube videos for you kids to drool at?

bwahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    For the most part, my teachers didn't support my competition and being in TMA I wasted a lot of valuable time doing stuff that had nothing to do with fighting.

Its always been funny to me that something like the above is always followed by something like this:

I am a disciple of the late Chan Tai San, a true master of Chinese martial art.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    Because 99% of CMAers are not anywhere near the skill level of ufc guys.
    99% of MMAers aren't at the skill level of UFC either. NEXT!!!