Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago area Shaolin recommendations?

Chicago area Shaolin recommendations?

Hi all,

Are there any good Shaolin schools in the Chicago-land area (city or burbs?) I'm not looking for a yellow-pages dump, rather first hand information and knowledge of the Sifu's teaching - their reputation, etc. I'm posting the same question for Wing Chun and Praying Mantis in their respective forums; these are the three styles I'm most interested in.

Tx!

I have a freind of mine who teaches Hung Gar at the Aurora Park dist. And I know another who teaches the Shaolin based Nanjing Long fist in Naperville.

There is rummur that someone teaches Song Shan Shaolin in Aurora, but I have yet to find him.

What flavor Shaolin are you interested in?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Not yet (that I know of), however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (when exactly hasn't been decided yet). If you like, I'll keep you informed on how things progress. As for Wing Chun and Mantis, I don't know of any schools that teach these personally. I only know of a Wushu school in Evanston that also teaches Sanshou and a Tai Chi school, also in Evanston. I can give you their contact info. if you're interested.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

There is rummur that someone teaches Song Shan Shaolin in Aurora
    It's true. A long distance student of Yan Ming. I don't have contact info. We had a couple of his students train at our school for awhile.

Alvanos- If you are interested in Southern shaolin styles check out my response in the wing chun forum.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

If you get contact info, please let me know. Aurora is very close to me, and I would be interested in meeting up with him.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (

Reply]
    Oh dear lord, we get rid of Oom Yung doe, and now we have Shaolin Do moving in to fill the void?? What, does Chicago have a certian quota of known frauds that it must maintain?

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (

Reply]
    Oh dear lord, we get rid of Oom Yung doe, and now we have Shaolin Do moving in to fill the void?? What, does Chicago have a certian quota of known frauds that it must maintain?
    Whatever

Alvanos: ultimately you're going to have to look and see for yourself which school works for you and which one doesn't. I find Shaolin Do to be very effective and a lot of fun, but don't take my word (or Royal Dragon's) for it; try it out yourself.
    Last edited by Lamassu; 01-09-2007 at 12:49 PM.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Shaolin Do is not shaolin though. so responding to this thread was just dumb.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Shaolin Do is not shaolin though. so responding to this thread was just dumb.
    What, you expect me to agree with you? Of course it is, prove me wrong.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Read the shaolin do thread.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I have several times, very amusing. Like I said: prove me wrong.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

I think at this point, the over all martial community HAS proven you wrong...deal with it.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I think at this point, the over all martial community HAS proven you wrong...deal with it.
    Ooooookaaaaay.

Anyway, regardless of what RD or anyone else on the site may think of Shaolin Do there will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening in Evanston later this year, and everyone in the Chicago area who wants to try it out are welcome to. In fact, I want to thank you Royal Dragon, your belittling of the martial art I'm studying and grown to love has shown me the way. I'm more determined than ever now to get this kwoon up and running, and I'll make sure that not only will there be an SD kwoon thriving in Evanston, but I'll do everything in my power to make it spread throughout the entire state of Illinois. You've really lit a fire under my a$$ to see this through.

Again, thank you Royal Dragon.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Speaking of Chicago area, is Golden Mountain KF still around?

Thanks

Why not check out one of the Mantis/Longfist schools mentioned in this thread:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=44270

Mantis isn't exactly Shaolin, but it is a great style originally based on Longfist/Shaolin arts. One of them also teaches Longfist, one of the arts traditionally associated with Shaolin. If you want real CMA and something close to real Shaolin, then go with traditional Mantis or Longfist.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible