Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Ninjas!

Ninjas (and Samurai) needed

Ninja vs. samurai night battle to take place at Japanese castle ruins, 100 combatants needed

Casey Baseel 3 days ago

Applications now open to do battle for glory and prizes when night falls on one of Japan’s most famous ninja towns.

The phrase “local history” can sometimes bring to mind stuffy and mundane minutiae. Things like “The town’s borders were set when Farmer X petitioned County Administrator Y to dig an irrigation canal, which, under land ordinance 2316, required the official annexation of unincorporated land within 20 meters of the point where a manmade waterway meets a natural body of water.”

But you know a place that doesn’t have a problem with its local history being dull? Koka, the town in Shiga Prefecture that’s the home of the Koga ninja clan. Koka wears its love for its heritage on its shinobi sleeve, and in the latest awesome example of how, the town is currently recruiting 100 participants for a nighttime ninja-versus-samurai battle, to be held later this month, which will pit two teams against each other in a moonlight battle competition on the site of the ruins of Minakuchi Okayama Castle.

Before the castle’s destruction, the samurai Natsuka Masaie was the last lord of the stronghold. After allying with the losing Toyotomi forces at the battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Natsuka retreated to Minakuchi Okayama, which was then attacked by and fell to the Tokugawa army.

All of the above is a matter of established historical record, and given the proximity of the castle to one of Japan’s major sources of ninja-for-hire, it’s not too much of a stretch of the imagination to envision Koga ninja playing a role in the successful siege. That bit of historical speculation is the inspiration behind the Shinobi Youchi, or Shinobi Night Attack, event. Once night falls, the 50-person ninja team will make their way up the hill to the castle site, where they’ll try to assassinate as many members of the 50-person defending samurai army as they can.

▼ A teaser video for the event (though the video is shot in the day, the actual event will take place after sundown)

Of course, Japan has become a much less violent place since the end of the feudal era, so the ninja won’t actually be shanking their prey, nor will the samurai warriors be lopping off any heads as they defend their castle. Instead, each participant will be given a foam sword and a pair of targets to wear on their shoulders, as seen in the image below.

Being struck causes the target to light up, confirming the kill. Once defeated, the participant must hand over a wooden dog tag with his name to his killer, to be counted as points for his team at the end of the battle. Samurai and ninja each have three lives, but after losing each one must withdraw to their home base to have the light turned off by a game official.

That’s just the beginning of the detailed game system, though. For starters, not all kills are worth the same number of points. Rank-and-file samurai, for example, are worth 10 points, while samurai generals are worth 100. One member of the samurai team will also take on the role of Lord Natsuka himself, and his one-and-only dog tag is worth a whopping 500 points, so keeping him safe is priority one for the samurai. Things are a little more balanced on the ninja side, with their five leaders being worth 100 points compared to the other ninjas’ 10.

With the battle unfolding over a sprawling playfield, each team will have to divide its forces. Just because you’ve got a partner who’s supposed to be watching your back, though, doesn’t mean that you’re safe. Mixed into each team are three spies who are actually working for the other side, aiming to pass information onto your enemies or, worse, kill you when you let your guard down because you think you’re among allies. There’s even a potential story branch, of sorts. The battle will play out in two 30-minute rounds, and if the ninja are successful in assassinating Lord Natsuka, then Round 2 will start with the ninja having occupied the territory and the teams switching positions, so that the ninja are defending and the samurai attacking in an attempt to reclaim their castle.

At the end of both rounds, the total scores are tallied, and the team with the most points is the winner. The winning team will receive some sort of as-yet-unrevealed prize, and there are also awards for samurai and ninja who distinguish themselves with especially exemplary performances in the battle.

Shinobi Youchi will take place on October 22, and given the complexity of the event, it’s basically a day-long event. Participants gather at the reception area at 1:30 to check-in and change into their costumes/uniforms. Then there are scouting sessions of the playfield, strategy councils, and formation positioning before Round 1 starts at 5:30 p.m. Taiko drum signals will be used to let players know how much time is remaining in the battle, with Round 2 ending at 7 p.m., followed by awards and closing ceremonies, descending from the hilltop ruins back to the reception area to change back into modern attire, and the even coming to a close at 9 p.m.

The event’s organizers graciously state that even people without previous ninja or samurai experience are welcome to take part in the battle, though participants must be at least high school age (15 years old in Japan) and in good health, since while there aren’t any actual blades being swung, you’re still going to be running around in the middle of the night. Participation fees start at 5,000 yen (US$35) for the 42 standard samurai and 42 normal ninja slots, with samurai general and ninja leader roles 7,500 yen and the honor of being the primary target of 50 ninja as Lord Natsuka 10,000 yen. Applications can be made here through the event’s official website.

Source: Shinobi Youchi official website via Japaaan, PR Times
    Featured image: Shinobi Youchi official website
    Top image: Shinobi Youchi official website
    Insert images: PR Times, YouTube/ NinTube
    This looks super fun...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Uniontown Ninja

15-year-old boy assaulted by man who identified himself as ‘The Uniontown Ninja’
    Justin Jellots, 39, is facing charges

WTAE logoUpdated: 7:41 AM EDT Aug 21, 2023
    Nick Matoney

MENALLEN TOWNSHIP, Pa. —
    A man who police say identified himself to them as ‘The Uniontown Ninja’ is accused of assaulting a 15-year-old boy on Saturday afternoon.

The incident happened on Tex Lane in Menallen Township.

State police said Justin Jellots, 39, of New Salem, hit the boy in the face with a fist and struck his head off of a wall several times because the boy did not make him a sandwich.

Jellots faces a preliminary hearing on Aug. 30.

As of Monday morning, he was being held in the Fayette County Jail.
    Jellots is messed up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfuninja View Post
    Yo all,

I was just wondering about a few stuff, seeing as kung fu originates from taekwondo, who would win in a fight?

Also, i am currently studying ninja boxing wiv my mate john, could anyone tell me more about the move, ninja boxing dragon punch.

many thanx

KUNG FU NINJA DUDE
    Since kunfuse come from Take-One's-Dough ,, ask John Wick for the first dog and give it to Yo'r mate A. K. A. John...because a Ninja draggin' h er/is punch is a cut-above!!!--the dragonfly whispers to John the night before the sparring and John does not make practice if you Ninja Dragon boxing punch, correctly.--your John is pushing-up Daisy. But at least he gets to eat. As you effectively send him a dinner reservation.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Our freshest feature article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I try to avoid Ninja Warrior news on our ninja et.al. threads, but this was too good.

US Woman, 71, Earns Guinness World Record Title Of Oldest Female Ninja
    World's oldest female ninja: Virginia Lenore MacColl's favourite moves include swinging on rings and climbing ropes.

Edited by Rahul KumarUpdated: September 23, 2023 5:30 pm IST

Virginia Lenore MacColl started ninja warrior competitions at 66.

New Delhi: In the most recent Guinness World Records (GWR) roundup, a 71-year-old woman from the United States was recognised as the oldest female ninja, proving the adage 'Age is just a number' to be completely true. The organisation also released a video showing her navigating obstacle courses filled with a variety of challenges. In the video, she can be seen climbing, jumping, and even swinging from a bar.
    "Oldest competitive ninja athlete (female). Competed at the age of 70 years and 90 days," Guinness World Records said in a video post on Instagram. According to the organisation's blog, Virginia Lenore MacColl began her journey into ninja warrior competitions at the age of 66, inspired by her daughter's encouragement to take up sports.

MacColl added that she was motivated to start her journey after watching her daughter, Jessie Graff, participate in American Ninja Warrior.

Ms MacColl said, "While I cheered for my daughter Jessie Graff, I found inspiration in her strength, grace, and health."

Earlier, she had never participated in athletics or weightlifting. She also mentioned that it took her a while to even consider herself an athlete. However, the 71-year-old found herself committing to four cardio, strength training, and obstacle training sessions each week.

"I engage in cardio through swimming two to three times a week," she said.

Her favourite ninja moves include swinging on rings and climbing ropes, while she considers the salmon ladder and the warped wall to be some of the trickier techniques.

Speaking about her husband, she said he was her "biggest supporter." MacColl further mentioned, "Despite being unable to travel for medical reasons, he consistently encourages me to participate in every competition."

Regarding her exercise routine, she explained that her primary dietary choice is a 'Mediterranean diet,' consisting primarily of fish, and vegetables, along with some chicken and turkey. However, she avoids dairy products and soda, and carefully monitors her sugar intake to keep it in check.
    Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts
    Ninjas!
    Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja wedding

Dressed to thrill: 'Ninja wedding' held at western Japan shrine linked to the dark art

October 6, 2023 (Mainichi Japan)

Regional revitalization team member Takamasa Fukushima, fourth from left in front row, and his wife Kaho, fifth from left in front row, are seen at their "Koka-ryu" ninja-style wedding at Aburahi Shrine in the city of Koka, Shiga Prefecture, on Sept. 30, 2023. (Mainichi/Yuko Murase)

KOKA, Shiga -- Around 100 ninja-clad well-wishers from across Japan attended a ninja-style wedding on Sept. 30 in this western Japan city for a bride and groom both passionate about the ancient art.

A love of all things ninja motivated the groom, 38-year-old Takamasa Fukushima, to move to Koka, known as a historical center for the martial art, where he now works on promoting the city's "Koka-ryu" ninja culture as part of its community revitalization team. It was his dream to gather ninjas for a wedding at the city's Aburahi Shrine, a meeting place where ninjas would discuss war tactics and other matters. His dream came true after getting engaged to 35-year-old Kaho, a coworker from a previous workplace, the Japan Ninja Council in Tokyo.

A large number of officials and others from groups including the International Ninja Research Association, the "Koka ninjutsu kenkyukai" ("Koka ninja arts research association") and the Iga-Ueno Tourist Association donned ninja garb and gathered at the shrine. Takamasa wore "hitatare" traditional ninja wedding attire while Kaho dressed in an all-white kimono called a "shiromuku."

The ceremony followed the usual Shinto program, but with added ninja elements. Takamasa opened a scroll and read his vows, which included, "With thanks to the ancestors who brought us together, I will continue to do my best to preserve ninja culture and history." The scroll was passed around to the attendees, who each stamped it with their personal seals as a mark of their witness. The bride and groom also exchanged rings with "shuriken" symbols.

A "genpuku" traditional coming-of-age ceremony also took place to signify that Takamasa had become a fully-fledged ninja. Mie University's professor Yuji Yamada, known for his ninja research, cut Takamasa's hair in a ritual. In ceremonial greetings he said, "We're extremely pleased that your wish to have a wedding at the prestigious Aburahi Shrine has come true. This might be the only time so many ninja have gathered from all over," eliciting laughter from the attendees.

"This was a fun time and precious experience," Kaho said after the ceremony. It had reportedly been her childhood dream to marry a ninja.

"I'm overwhelmed at being able to hold a ceremony surrounded by ninjas. Looking ahead, I'd like to work with my new wife toward revitalizing the region," the groom said.

(Japanese original by Yuko Murase, Omihachiman Local Bureau)
    There are some cool pix if you follow the link (being ninjas, they've got a block on their images so I cannot cut&paste unless I get into the code, which I don't care to do today).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There are some cool pix if you follow the link (being ninjas, they've got a block on their images so I cannot cut&paste unless I get into the code, which I don't care to do today).
    Gene blocked by Ninjas? Here let me help you:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ninja Burger

Experience the Ninja Burger Difference!

Ninja Burger is the world's original premier fast food delivery service, founded in 1954 in order to cater to an exclusive set of clientele who sought good food, fast service, and above all else discretion. The company opened its doors to the general public in 1999 with the launch of the Ninja Burger website. Ninja Burger looks forward to serving its one-trillionth customer in the near future. One of the previous three sentences is true.

For Information
    1-800-373-3411
    Not sure how these guys escaped us for so long. Oh right. Ninjas...

Kung-Fu-Restaurants-amp-Bars
    Ninjas!

I know this is a parody site but it popped up this morning whilst researching International-Ninja-Day-is-December-5th
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips