Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ninjas!

Ninja Tourism

Igaryu Ninja Tourism Promotion Council? srsly? And all we have is a stupid Ninja Run in TN?

The World of Ninja Tourism
    Brian Ashcraft
    Friday 5:30am

This is from a ninja promotional video. That's right, a ninja promotional video from a ninja tourist association. No, really.

The video below is from the Igaryu Ninja Tourism Promotion Council. The group has a website and really wants you to visit its museum in Iga, Japan. Ninja tourism!

I've been to Iga—I have family in Mie Prefecture. The area has certainly embraced the shinobi, because of the history Iga has as a real ninja stronghold and because, today, the ninja mythos now drives the local tourist industry— even if it's not always one hundred percent accurate.

Those black suits. Those weapons. Martial arts. The image of the ninja is rooted more in fiction… Read more

To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter @Brian_Ashcraft.

Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

February 22 is NINJA DAY!

This deserves its own thread: February 22 is NINJA DAY!

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Japan...

Tourists pose for a photo with JR Water Business Co. staff dressed in ninja and kimono outfits, in front of an Acure smart vending machine at JR Akihabara Station on Thursday. | YOSHIAKI MIURA

Ninja promote ‘cool’ vending machines

by Shusuke Murai
    Staff Writer
    Feb 19, 2015

To lure foreign tourists, especially Chinese arriving in large numbers for the Lunar New Year holiday, JR East is promoting Japan’s cutting-edge vending machine technology at JR Akihabara Station in Tokyo, with staff dressed in ninja and kimono outfits.

JR East Water Business Co. has turned to its “next generation” Acure vending machines as a promotional tool, with staff ready to explain how to use the machines in Chinese and English.

“With our vending machine, I hope overseas tourists will find Japanese station facilities entertaining and convenient,” Takatoki Izumi, head of JR Water Business’s vending machine promotion, said Thursday.

Unlike traditional vending machines, the smart vending machine is equipped with a touch panel that provides details about the beverages. A face-recognition camera automatically identifies the sex and approximate age of the user and, taking into account the time of day and temperature, suggests a suitable beverage.

Some tourists took pictures with the ninjas while others received free Japanese folding fans with instructions on how to use the vending machines.

Asked about the ninja costumes, Izumi said he got a number of inquiries from foreign media about Japanese vending machines, and thought that the machines had the potential to become a sightseeing attraction for overseas tourists.

“When thinking about what characterizes our vending machine, I thought ninja would be the perfect match with its fast, cool image,” Izumi said.

Sophia So and Raul Han, Chinese tourists who were at Akihabara Station on Thursday, said the encounter with ninjas was a “very unique and interesting experience” that they have never had outside Japan.

Ninjas and women in kimono will be at the station until Friday, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

A University ninja course. These are the days of miracle and wonder...

University offers classes in ninja studies
    By Moeko Yo****omi, Yomiuri Shimbun The Yomiuri Shimbun

TSU, Japan — Mie University in Tsu puts emphasis on the academic study of ninja, intending to explore their roles and lifestyles by dispelling their stereotypical combatant image created by films and manga.

"The most important role of ninja is to collect intelligence. They tried to avoid fighting as much as possible," said Prof. Yuji Yamada, 47, of the university while showing a ninja film to students during his "Ninja Study" class. "They were required to have good memories and communication skills first and foremost, rather than physical strength."

Yamada, an expert of Japanese medieval history, began studying ninja in early 2012 at the request of the university.

As there are few academic papers on ninja, he initially thought academically studying them would be difficult as ninja skills have mostly been handed down by word of mouth. However, once he began carefully researching books on ninja at the Ninja Museum of Igaryu, he gradually learned what ninja were really like. These books are not open to the public.

The Ninja Study class began at the university in the 2013 school year. In the last and current school year, 230 students took the class after winning a lottery. More than 400 students applied to join the class.

Jinichi Kawakami, 65, also teaches the class elements such as walking stealthily and a breathing method to prevent runners from tiring. Kawakami mastered the Koga-ryu ninja skills.

This school year, a similar ninja lecture was also given twice at Mie Terrace, a promotion base of the prefecture in Tokyo, to a packed audience of 70 people per lecture.

"Ninja insisted on having an existence like a shadow," Yamada said. "They accomplished their duties behind the scenes and through unofficial negotiations. They share those characteristics in common with Japanese today. I would like to introduce the good traits of Japanese to the global community through the ninja culture."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's funny.
    I wonder who's recipe for the hallucinating poison will be presented?
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

"Glow Ninja" 5K June 19, 2015

"Glow Ninja" 5K
    Friday, June 19, 2015

Martial Arts Demonstrations & Activities: 7:00 pm
    Race begins: 8:00 pm

EARLY-BIRD $30 by May 1st

- Register early to guarantee a free event t-shirt on race day.
    In Oak Ridge, TN.

RACE FAQ

You have Ninja questions, we have Ninja answers.

What do I wear to the event?
    You can wear ninja costumes, PJs, headbands, or whatever is comfortable to run/walk in. Absolutely NO real weapons will be allowed! Glow items, foam swords, headbands and rubber throwing stars will be available for purchase online and onsite to help you fit in.

Are Strollers/wheelchairs OK?
    Yes! The race course is very flat and accessible.

Tshirt & Bib Pick-up
    All tshirts and bibs will be ready for pick-up onsite starting at 6pm on raceday (June 19). See you at the Horizon Center!

Is the Ninja 5k a Timed Event?
    Yes! The race will be timed, but you are encouraged to enjoy the event at your own pace. You can walk, run, kick, jump, or ninja-glide (for those with magical ninja powers).

Can I register on Race Day?
    Yes, but the race might be sold out. Also, event t-shirts are only guaranteed to runners who register for the event by the early deadline. Why wait? Register today!

What items are prohibited?
    Swords, knives, other real weapons, skateboards, roller blades, bikes, pets, etc.

What if the weather is bad?
    We will run rain or shine. If there is lightning in the area, we will delay until it is safe. We may have to cancel the event, but it is highly unlikely (no refunds).

How do I Volunteer to help?
    Help is needed on race day at the water stations, parking, registration, and more. Email ninjafivek@gmail.com and tell your non-running friends to volunteer to help!
    Trying to wrap my head around 'glow ninjas'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Too awesome for words

Ninjas rule.

Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa is offering special ninja training and recognition for your children!
    Krista Rogers

Hilton’s Odawara Resort & Spa, tucked away in Kanagawa Prefecture’s southwestern Odawara City, is offering something that you and your children simply can’t refuse: the opportunity for them to participate in special ninja training during your brief stay at the hotel!

The luxury hotel’s special ninja package is currently being promoted for families with children ages 4-12. Luckily, there’s no need to rush, since the campaign runs until March 31, 2016.

If you specify your child’s clothing size while filling out the comments section of your room reservation, hotel staff will prepare a special set of ninja robes for him or her to wear upon arrival. He or she must then follow the instructions on a special sheet of paper found in your room to collect more written tasks and ultimately complete a secret mission. Children who complete the mission will then officially be recognized as “Hilton Odawara Ninja” and receive commemorative goods.

You’re probably wondering what the connection is between the Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa and ninja. In fact, this current promotion is part of a larger campaign to recognize Odawara City’s historical connection with the Fuma, a ninja clan led by Fuma Kotaro who were active during feudal Japan’s Warring States period (circa 1467 – c. 1603). This clan was also in the service of the powerful Hojo warrior clan, for whom Odawara Castle served as home base.

Here are some promotional images taken from the hotel’s official website:

▼ He must be one of your ninja instructors!

▼ A sample of the lovely breakfast buffet spread, which is complimentary to your stay. Kids need energy to be good ninja!

▼ One of the hotel’s various pools. Hard for a ninja to hide here!

▼ One of the luxurious rooms in which you and your children could while away the evening, post ninja training.

The price per person for a two-person room (breakfast included) begins at 15,743 yen (US$130.97). Happy ninja training to all the kids out there!

Hotel Information
    Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa
    583-1 Nebukawa, Odawara-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture 250-0024

〒250-0024 神奈川県小田原市根府川583-1
    ヒルトン小田原リゾート&スパ

TEL 0465-29-1000

Sources: Odawara-Hakone Keizai Shimbum, Wikipedia

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja Shuriken competition

This is too cool.

Join ninja’s shuriken competition

The Yomiuri Shimbun
    A gold shuriken for the winner of the shuriken throwing competition
    6:37 am, June 01, 2015
    The Yomiuri Shimbun

IGA, Mie — Can you use shuriken throwing stars as well as a true ninja? If you can, prove it. The Ninja Museum of Igaryu in Iga, Mie Prefecture, is accepting applications for this year’s annual shuriken-throwing competition.

The seventh competition’s finals will be held on Nov. 8 at the museum’s ninja square.

Participants in the finals are required to wear ninja costumes.

Prior to the finals, preliminaries will be held at seven locations across the nation, including Osaka on June 7, Kyoto on July 5 and Iga on July 12.

Eligible participants must be of middle school age or older. Each preliminary will accept 50 contestants on a first-come, first-served basis. The contestants ranked first to 40th in all of the preliminaries will make it to the finals.

The winner in the finals will be awarded a gold shuriken. Those who finish in second and third place will receive a silver shuriken and a bronze shuriken.

The contestants will receive six shuriken to throw at a 30-centimeter-diameter target, but they are required to set the last shuriken aside, in keeping with tradition. Men will throw from a distance of six meters and women from five meters. Before throwing, they will chant a spell known as the Kuji Goshinho.

The participation fee is ¥1,000. The official rule book is on sale for ¥200. Call the museum at (0595) 23-0311 for more information and an application.
    I can't cut&paste the Yomiburi shuriken image. It's worth clicking the link to see it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oooooh.

I need one of these.

Ninja Parka’s hidden pockets, special material let you battle bugs and UV rays like a shinobi
    Casey Baseel
    10 hours ago

Do you ever get the feeling you were born too late in history? I mean think about it, if you’d come into the world, say, five centuries sooner, you could have been a ninja, plying your trade by offering your shadow warrior skills to one of the warlords of Japan’s Sengoku period.

But hey, that doesn’t mean there are no fights left for would-be shinobi! It just means that instead of taking on enemy armies, your adversaries are instead harsh UV rays and annoying mosquitos, and what better way to gear up for such modern battles than with a Ninja Parka?

The Ninja Parka, like the ninja themselves, employs a number of clever techniques and hidden capabilities. With harsh, skin-damagingly intense sunlight and rampant mosquitos both being unpleasant realities of a Japanese summer, the parka, which can also be worn like an ordinary zip-up, features a masked hood that covers the checks and forehead, as well as hand coverings that can be adjusted to two different lengths.

Lightweight and easy to move about in, the manufacturer nevertheless claims the polyester/urethane material blocks out 99 percent of UV rays. The fabric is also processed with natural bug-repelling components, which should be a blessing when the humidity is up and the mosquitos are out.

▼ The mask portion is made from a lightweight mesh, allowing you to breathe easily while obscuring your face from the sun’s rays/shogun’s guards.

On the forearm, you’ll find a stitched shuriken. This is more than just a decorative touch, though. It’s also a UV indicator, which changes from silver to pink in the presence of stronger ultraviolet rays.

Being outside in the summertime in Japan usually means being wet, either from the sweltering, sweat-producing humidity or one of the frequent squalls that come with it. In either case, you’ll be happy to know that the Ninja Parka is made with fast-drying material. Even better, it’s also got interior pockets next to the underarms and on the back where you can slip in an ice pack (purchased separately) to give yourself some allies in beating the heat.

▼ The parka can also be folded up into its own back pocket, as shown on the right.

Finally, the designers point out that the garment is long enough to cover your backside, making it a viable choice for avoiding sunburns during a ninja day at the beach.

The Ninja Parka is being sold through online retailers Cecile (here) and Dinos (here), in sizes medium to extra-extra-large. Both sites have it priced at 4,212 yen (US$35), although only Dinos currently has the unstealthy, but cute, pink variant

Sources: Cecile, Dinos
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Very cool, Tigerclaw gonna carry them?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I wish...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Tigerclaw gonna carry them?
    It's unlikely as we don't have many Japanese suppliers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enter to WIN our latest sweepstakes offering!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for SAMURAI AND NINJA Autographed by Antony Cummins!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 8/6/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sofia Vergara & the The Ninja Coffee Bar

Sofia Vergara's "Tall, Dark, and Delicious Secret" Revealed: First Look Video
    Celebrity News Aug. 27, 2015 AT 12:00PM By Esther Lee

Sofia Vergara Ninja Coffee Bar Sofia Vergara reveals her "tall, dark, and delicious secret" exclusively to Us Weekly -- find out what it is here! Credit: Ninja Coffee Bar

Not her average cup of Joe. Modern Family star Sofia Vergara has revealed her "tall, dark, and delicious secret" exclusively to Us Weekly, but it's not exactly what people may have guessed.

The bombshell mogul, 43, has partnered with houseware company SharkNinja to launch its brand-new Coffee Bar. Joe Manganiello's fiancee, who's also a passionate coffee lover (she hails from global coffee mecca Colombia), was invited by the brand to help create and develop a coffee machine that would extract full-bodied flavors. It's inside the test kitchen where she became a key part of the development process for the caffeine device.

"When [CEO] Mark [Rosen] told me about their plans to create the Ninja Coffee Bar, I knew I had to get involved from both a personal and business perspective," TV's highest-paid actress said about her latest business partnership, available at major retailers nationwide in Sept. She also revealed that the Ninja Coffee Bar serves iced coffee -- directly from the machine. "I never even thought it was possible to make a great iced coffee at home!" Vergara shared.

Vergara, who earned a total of $140 million from 2013 to 2014, is known for her business prowess and acumen. In an interview with Glam Belleza Latina magazine in 2013, Vergara flat-out spoke about her love for amassing a fortune. "I’m not ashamed to say I love making money," she dished. "I like business, and the truth is I save way more than I spend. I invest. I plan for the future... I have a special eye for opportunities and work harder than anyone might expect. It is fun to shock people with my business ideas."

The Emmy nominee said sometimes it's hard for people to separate her from Gloria, her beloved on-screen Modern Family character. "Most people just see me as Gloria," Vergara told the mag at the time. "Most people are more comfortable with the notion of 'sexy bimbo.' And I have to admit that I’ve capitalized on that to negotiate a couple of times."

Vergara also has multiple endorsement deals with high-profile brands, including Rooms2G, Head & Shoulders, and a jewelry collection with Kay Jewelers.

Watch the exclusive first look clip from her partnership with Ninja Coffee Bar above!

Sofia! When you need a ninja suit, call me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninjago: The Ride

Finally! A reason to go to Legoland.

Hiyah! Legoland California ninja ride to use karate chop hand gestures
    Ninjago: The Ride

Concept art of the Ninjago dark ride coming to Legoland California in 2016. (Legoland)
    By Brady MacDonald

A first-of-its-kind dark ride coming to Legoland California in 2016 will let riders use karate-chop hand gestures to shoot fireballs at ninja warriors on giant video screens.

The high-tech Ninjago: The Ride will feature sensors on the front of each ride vehicle that register the hand movements of riders who zap color-coded fireballs at digital screens populated with animated Lego figures.

Based on a line of ninja-inspired Lego toys and a spin-off television show, the dark ride will be the centerpiece of a new Asian-inspired Ninjago themed land featuring test-of-skill games, a restaurant and a retail store. Visitors will undergo “ninja training” before boarding the new ride to reinforce the new hand-gesture controls.

Legoland is teaming up on the project with Montreal-based Triotech, which previously worked on the Wonder Mountain Guardian hybrid coaster-dark ride at Canada’s Wonderland outside Toronto and the Voyage to the Iron Reef shoot-em-up dark ride at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park.

Digital-based rides with video-game-like features are attractive to theme park operators because the computer-generated imagery can be updated with the latest advances in technology and the back story can be changed with the flip of a switch.

Theme park attractions are increasingly adding more video game elements. While most play-at-home game consoles require players to hold a controller, some video games like “Disney’s Fantasia: Music Evolved” on the XBox One system put emphasis on gesture controls.

An identical version of Ninjago: The Ride is also expected to debut in 2016 at Denmark’s Legoland Billund.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene I am a Ninja i took it back in the 1990 s and 1980 s but i am no good at it they do a lot of rolling on the ground . The weapons they use could do alot of damage to a person .

Well, that sure is interesting, Firehawk4

Tell me this isn't you.

A Man in a Ninja Costume Has Been Running Around Warsaw Swinging a (Fake) Sword
    September 24, 2015
    by Melchior Sędzimir

All photos by the author

This article was originally published by VICE Poland

For the past week or so, a man dressed in a ninja costume has been running around the streets of Warsaw swinging a [metal] sword. As expected, local authorities have spent the last few days trying to sort through the numerous formal complaints filed by residents of the Grochów district – where the ninja is mostly active. Whether the complainants were creeped out because they did not know the sword was fake or merely by the sight of a man in a black costume and balaclava, is unknown.

Either way, as soon as I heard about him, I set out to get in touch with the 'Grochów ninja' – as he is now locally known. It wasn't hard – the guy has actually set up a Facebook fanpage for himself. After a few back and forth messages between him, me and his dad, I found myself talking to a man dressed like a ninja on the corner of Terespolska and Grochowska.

VICE: Why are you doing this?

Grochów Ninja: When I was 15, I wanted to be faster than my friends so I started training in short and long distance running. Two years later, I was attacked by thieves. I realised I don't stand a chance in a fist fight, so I thought it'd be best to buy something that would help me defend myself.

I first bought a bokken, which is a wooden exercise sword. It was my mother who got me interested in Japanese culture in the first place. I got weird looks from passers-by, when I carried the sword on my back. Then, a buddy sold me a sword made of leaf spring for 15 zloties (about £3). Actually, I am not sure if the sword was really made of leaf spring but that's what my friend said. And then another couple of years later, I was attacked on the street again – but this time I managed to kick the *******s' asses. My new sword worked miracles.

Do you have a sensei or are you self-taught?

I practice myself. I mostly work on my general endurance and reaction time. I've been a runner for six years now and I plan to do it for as long as I am physically able. At the beginning, I ran in a tracksuit and now I do it in a ninja warrior outfit.

What do you do in life – apart running around Warsaw dressed as a ninja?

I wear normal clothes, but I never go out without my sword. I carry it with me to the shops, running errands – basically everywhere. The only place where I take it off my back is work. As a security guard, I must wear a uniform. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to draw a line between work and fun.

Do you get more attention from girls since you became the Grochów Ninja?

A few cute girls liked my fan page, but I checked and they're mostly married or have boyfriends. I don't want to be a ******* stealing other guy's girls. I have values.

What have been the reactions of the people who see you on the street?

I've heard that quite a few complaints have been filed to the Grochów district council but the local councilman, Damian Paczkowski, had a meeting with the mayor of Warsaw and told him I'm harmless man. I have it in writing: I run around with an imitation sword. I do not wish harm on anyone.

When somebody gets at me, I ignore them and keep running. I don't understand why we are all so intent on limiting ourselves. Showing off your passion is cool! Let's not all be grey and samey-looking. We live in a free country after all.

Thanks for that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips