Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm in my teacher's new Lian Bu Quan DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    With regards to punching or striking the back of the hand, I have actually used that technique in a confrontation and broke the attacker's hand -- quite easy to do- especially with a folded hand and striking with the knuckles --whipping action. Also not much hand-eye co-ordination needed. (BTW I didn't get gutted.).
    WOW!!!!

Another one!!!!

It's astounding how many CMA guys get attacked with knives!!!

And just as astounding as to how many of them break the attackers bones without receiving so much as a scratch!!!

I don't want to hijack this thread Gene but the history of fencing provides a template for martial arts history and interpretation in general... hack and slash sword play on the battlefield evolved to thrust fencing in personal defense (and dules of personal honor). Methods changed as technology changed, and once prized theories were cast aside in the face of reality
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Talking Re: secret fighting skills

Since several people posted while I was writing my first response, let me continue.

The series title 'secret fighting skills' was originally conceived as a tongue-in-cheek comment on what is happening in the MA world. If you actually watch my dvd's there is nothing in them presented as 'secret'. I think my explanations are straight forward and to the point and I try to explain the historical perspective as best I can given the circumstances. I just happen to like the 'military combatives' approach to the traditinal CMA. Let's get serious for a moment, who would have a real need for xingyi rifle and bayonet training in this day and age? But I wrote about it because

a. I have some knowledge of the subject and

b. A small group of people who deal with me also like that kind of thing

I try to present accurate information as shown to me from various sources including the modern 'knife stuff' from the wu jing.

take it for what it's worth. 'nuff said

A fascinating book is "By the Sword" (can't remember the author's name). It is a hisorical analysis of the use of swords in combat. Mostly European based, but a little of Asian bladework is also thrown in there.

Talking Re: secret fighting skills

Since several people posted while I was writing my first response, let me continue.

The series title 'secret fighting skills' was originally conceived as a tongue-in-cheek comment on what is happening in the MA world. If you actually watch my dvd's there is nothing in them presented as 'secret'. I think my explanations are straight forward and to the point and I try to explain the historical perspective as best I can given the circumstances. I just happen to like the 'military combatives' approach to the traditinal CMA. Let's get serious for a moment, who would have a real need for xingyi rifle and bayonet training in this day and age? But I wrote about it because

a. I have some knowledge of the subject and

b. A small group of people who deal with me also like that kind of thing

I try to present accurate information as shown to me from various sources including the modern 'knife stuff' from the wu jing.

take it for what it's worth. 'nuff said

BTW About 15 years ago I used the xingyi bayonet techniques against a group of army instructors and had no trouble beating them

Let's get serious for a moment, who would have a real need for xingyi rifle and bayonet training in this day and age?
    There's a joke in there somewhere, but gosh darn it, I couldn't find it in enough time

Sorry for the side banter.... TTT

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

BTW About 15 years ago I used the xingyi bayonet techniques against a group of army instructors and had no trouble beating them
    Of course you easily beat guys with bayonets... it's all in the secret kung fu training techniques. All you kung fu "masters" regularly do that kind of stuff.

Of course there is never any video of you so-called "masters" going live against anyone you are claiming to have beaten... or going live against anyone, for that matter.

However, there is always plenty of video of you demonstrating your "lethal" techniques on complying students.

By the Sword by Richard Cohen

That was a good read. A better one is The Complete Bibliography of Fencing and Duelling by Carl A. Thimm. That's really more of a source point for any fencing research, but By the Sword covers the modern age much better and it's more digestible for the common reader.

Techniques have changed with shifts in technology and society. Logically then, they will continue to change in the future. The current 'reality' will probably fade too, if history is any teacher. This is one reason why we study history.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I also believe that too many adhere to the myth that everyone fights the same. Maybe if KF stops attacking Revere for a minute he can comment, but I know that police train differently in different countries. In Japan with a blade culture they train differently than Americans that assume guns. Filipinos are a similar blade culture. And in the old UK, the head butt is a prominent feature of their bar fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I also believe that too many adhere to the myth that everyone fights the same. Maybe if KF stops attacking Revere for a minute he can comment, but I know that police train differently in different countries.
    Really?
    Do you actually believe the B.S. he is spewing about breaking knife attackers hands and beating military bayonet instructors?

After seeing that knee defense and his explanation of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Of course you easily beat guys with bayonets... it's all in the secret kung fu training techniques. All you kung fu "masters" regularly do that kind of stuff.

Of course there is never any video of you so-called "masters" going live against anyone you are claiming to have beaten... or going live against anyone, for that matter.

However, there is always plenty of video of you demonstrating your "lethal" techniques on complying students.
    It is very easy to be critical, sitting in front of a monitor with just under 3000 posts. It is another thing altogether to do it to someone's face. Your Forum-Fu is strong, "Knifefighter". I'd be curious to see if your ass can cash the cheques your "mouth" writes.

You're welcome to come on by any time you happen to be in Calgary to "check me out" and see if I know how to handle myself in real life. I'm nowhere near the level of Mr. Rovere, but I do enjoy crossing hands with as many folks as possible... you know... to "see if my **** works".

Also... I'd be very curious if you'd show us how it should be done, my friend! Post us up a short clip of you and put us all in awe of your martial prowess!
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

Teachers going live

Both my teachers trained soldiers how to fight and also went "live" against the Japanese and Communists in the 1930's & 40's and you've done ???

Before this gets any hotter... I honestly think you should all take it down a notch. Revere has a lot of training with military guys in China. Interesting stuff, stuff you don't see too often around here. For Hau and Revere, Knifefighter is no keyboard warrior. He's a legit BJJ black belt and a dog brother. He knows weapons, particularly blades. KF comes off harsh at times, but he's probably cute and cuddly in person (ok, maybe not)

KF, care to comment on the comment about different police in different cultures having to train differently

Both my teachers trained soldiers how to fight and also went "live" against the Japanese and Communists in the 1930's & 40's and you've done ???
    I don't know what your teachers did or did not do. However, they are not the ones on the video showing that B.S. cr@p knife stuff.

Your teachers going live in a war with weapons has absolutely nothing to do with anything you can do.

Also... I'd be very curious if you'd show us how it should be done, my friend! Post us up a short clip of you and put us all in awe of your martial prowess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLFeIqjQ3Q

Now for some clips of your "master" going live?

I won't hold my breath.